Why Webroot is not present in Av-Test's tests ?

• 3 June 2016
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Hi all Webrooters :)

as you can see i have a simple question about Av-Test or Av-Comparatives tests..

I've seen some topics about this matter , for example ( https://community.webroot.com/t5/Security-Industry-News/Webroot-response-to-Mac-AV-Test-Results/m-p/145645/highlight/true#M8283 ) or ( https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/What-is-Webroot-s-policy-on-participating-in-AV-Test-or-AV/m-p/202559#M16372 )

but still i have not any final answer ! but if i underestand correct from that topics.. Webroot not interested to joint the tests because of bad results or something like that ?

could you please clear this matter for me ?

Regards,
Parham

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi MrParham

The main reason that Webroot do not submit WSA to the AV testing sites becuase of the way that thry test and the way that WSA works. The two are mutually exclusive in that the tests 'penalise' WSA and generate poor results which do not reflex the very good protection that WSA does in fact provide.

The core issue is that WSA looks for active threats rather than all threats, on the basis that a non active or dormant threat is in fact no threat (until it becomes active and then WSA will pounce on it) and therefore it will not detect all of the samples in the test and therefore scores low marks in that aspect.

Having said that this has been recognised by some of the testing organisations and they are working with Webroot to devise a more representative and fairer test...so I suspect that in the future we will see WSA being included.

Interestingly, WSA has been included in some tests in the area of banking transaction protection & identity protection and has in fact been found to be amongst the very best for protection...please see this previous post on the subject.

If you have further questions on this topic please post back and I will try to answer them.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick 
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Could Webroot release the results of it's own realtime testing?  That would give some credibility to the software.  I am fan of Webroot, but in the few tests that do include Webroot show some of the worst numbers.  The average person won't understand that.  The average site doesn't have much good to say about Webroot.  So there needs to be proof.  
Userlevel 1
Badge +5
As is correctly reported in this forum, in the thread called "What is Webroot s policy on participating in SE Labs?", Webroot SA recently got very good results in tests run by PCMag.com and Techradar.com according to their own protocols.

Thanks.
P.