Will allow changes.....?

• 18 February 2015
  • 2 replies

Hello, whenever  I start  my laptop -windows 8.1- webroot supplies a window that asks if " I would allow changes to be made to my computer?, which I always answer with "yes". Is this the right thing to do? thanks (removed email for privacy)
'"

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello bobr,

Welcome to the Community Forum,

Please have a look here which might help explains things. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-are-user-account-control-settings#1TC=windows-8

By default, even an administrator account in modern versions of Windows does not have full access to modify system settings and install programs.  Thus, if you try to install a program or change critical settings, you may see your desktop fade and show only a prompt window asking if you’re sure you want to do this.  This is a secure desktop, designed to prevent a program from automatically approving itself.
http://cdn5.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/640x485ximage68.png.pagespeed.ic.SzxuAiA3eb.jpg
While this may simply seem like a nuisance, it actually protects your system from malicious programs.  For instance, if you inserted a flash drive that had a worm virus into your computer, it would attempt to automatically run and install on your computer without your knowledge.  UAC, however, would catch it, and ask you whether or not you wanted to install the program.  You could easily know that you did not want it since you did not initiate the install, and thus you would protect your computer and data.

Hope this helps and if not please get back to us.

Kind Regards,

Userlevel 7
Hi bobr

Welcome to the Community Forums.

If I may add this article into the mix...it is paeticularly good at putting the relavant informaion in non technical terms.

In my opinion UAC is flawed and it is difficult to set it up so that  one gets a decent level of protection with out too much annoying intrusions from it...but others will disagree vehemently.  Hence why I have provded the further article.

Hope that assist further?

Regards, Baldrick