Solved

Will my 2013 keycode work with any 2014 product?

• 9 November 2013
  • 17 replies

I have a keycode for Webroot Internet Security Essentials 2013, can anyone confirm if the keycode is compatible with any 2014 product? 
icon

Best answer by RRod 26 November 2013, 00:36

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi gsmlord

The simple answer is 'Yes', as long as it is current, i.e., you have days of your subscription showing as still left.  You should just be able to enter the keycode and click 'Activate'.  If you run into any issues just open a Support Ticket or post back here and someone should be able to sort it out for you.

And we in the Community are here to assist fellow users should you experience any others issues with WSA.

Enjoy :D

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Fun fact: Key codes from Webroot's previous product line, SpySweeper, still work on Webroot SecureAnywhere. If you can find a copy in a sealed box, just take that keycode and put it into the WSA installer you should get a 1 year license. I'm not sure how many years back it will work. You still have to pay the full renewal fee in a year.

The antivirus industry is doing away with boxed version years. As long as you have a valid license code, you will always get the latest version of the program. Consumers no longer pay for the program itself, they are only paying for the virus definition subscription. The program itself is thrown in for free basically.

Of course, vendors will still do yearly product refreshes and they will continue to be reviewed on a yearly basis based on that. But it doesn't matter to a consumer.
Userlevel 2
Badge +11
Reeeeejected! ........... Just like the attractive lady I approached last Friday night at a party .... probably a bit too much gray hair on my head .... but at least it's still all there ;-(

Anyway, I had a never-used retail boxed Webroot SpySweeper still sealed and shrinked wrapped from 2005 or 2006 sitting in my storage room, so I tried it to renew my soon to expire 1-PC 1-Yr Subscription for WSA out of curiosity.

My old but never used SpySweeper keycode was rejected after entering it several ways (all Caps, all lower case, with dashes, without dashes, etc) .... BTW, the old SpySweeper key I was trying was all letters (no numbers).

This makes me wonder how many years a current "unused" WSA 2014 keycode will last before it goes stale if purchased directly from Webroot's website?

RRod
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Thanks for the info RRod!
What happens if you try to activate it on a computer without WSA? I don't know if they allow you to use them to extend your licence.
Userlevel 2
Badge +11
@ wrote:
Thanks for the info RRod!
What happens if you try to activate it on a computer without WSA? I don't know if they allow you to use them to extend your licence.
I'll be setting up a new laptop in a few weeks with a clean install of Win7 Pro and will give it a shot ..... stay tuned.

RRod
Userlevel 7
The 2013 and 2014 versions require the new alpha-numeric key codes.  I know that the older and active Best Buy subsriptions with the numerical only key code had  new alpha-numeric key codes issued well in advance of the 2013 version release.  I do NOT know if you would be able to have an alpha-numeric key code issued for that unused old copy though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Thanks David. When I tested this it was using WSA 2013, who knows if they've kept the key upgrade logic in there...
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Thanks David. When I tested this it was using WSA 2013, who knows if they've kept the key upgrade logic in there...
I have no idea about how to go about getting the alpha-numeric code for such an old unused one.  I am pretty sure that unused, but still usable, Best Buy key codes of older numeric only key codes did NOT have the new alpha-numeric key codes issued, but I am not postive on that.  This is something, as far as his key code goes, that Webroot will need to look into and answer.
Userlevel 7
Hi David

My understanding is NO, based on something I saw along the same lines over at Wilders a while back...but it never hurts to ask...;)

Having said that I personally can understand if a code from that far back, for what is ostensibly a different product, did not qualify for a re-issue...but again, it never hurts to ask...hence I would log a Support Ticket to find out.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@DavidP1970 wrote:
@ wrote:
I have no idea about how to go about getting the alpha-numeric code for such an old unused one.  I am pretty sure that unused, but still usable, Best Buy key codes of older numeric only key codes did NOT have the new alpha-numeric key codes issued, but I am not postive on that.  This is something, as far as his key code goes, that Webroot will need to look into and answer.
If anything can be done I assume the sales department will answer his question! http://www.webroot.com/us/en/company/contact-us

Daniel
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Actually Prevx was using Alpha Numeric keycodes and Webroot adopted it for the 2012 version and so on.

Daniel ;)
I am not postive on this my friend, but I could very well be wrong..  my recollection is that the Best Buy version 2012 originally issued with the numberic only in the Fall of 2011. February of 2012 is when the alpha-numeric key codes were loaded in.  (But... that load-in might have been only for the 2011 and earlier key codes that were still in use... I am not 100% positive on this)  I am going to try to do some quick research on this....

Either way though... the numeric only key code on that old Window Washer won't work at the moment as is 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That could be for BBY.

At least they don't have as many characters as Prevx did. 68E36B75-A07D-4955-ADC2-136FD0F44BB4

Daniel
Userlevel 2
Badge +11
Good new folks ..... I called Webroot Customer Service to ask about another matter, and also casually asked if my 2005-2006 vintage SpySweeper keycode might still be good after all these years.

They said it was still good by golly, but need to handle these alpha key oldies via phone..... so they offered to add another year to the new 1-Year 1-PC key that I had just entered earlier today .... so now I have 2 more years!

Good deal.

BTW, I renewed on the last day of my old subscription (which was today) and also asked them if I would have had to reninstall WSA if I let it go a few days into expiration before renewing.   They said no ..... reinstallation is only required for some of the Best Buy activated subscriptions, but not the Webroot website purchased products.  More good news.

RRod
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Awesome! :D

Daniel
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Good new folks ..... I called Webroot Customer Service to ask about another matter, and also casually asked if my 2005-2006 vintage SpySweeper keycode might still be good after all these years.

They said it was still good by golly, but need to handle these alpha key oldies via phone..... so they offered to add another year to the new 1-Year 1-PC key that I had just entered earlier today .... so now I have 2 more years!

Good deal.

BTW, I renewed on the last day of my old subscription (which was today) and also asked them if I would have had to reninstall WSA if I let it go a few days into expiration before renewing.   They said no ..... reinstallation is only required for some of the Best Buy activated subscriptions, but not the Webroot website purchased products.  More good news.

RRod
NICE!  Glad that worked out, not just to be able to use it, but really to be able to use it in such an easy and convenient way!  Webroot Support really does rock!

Re-Install would only be needed for some REALLY old Best Buy versions.  The 2013 and 2014 both have the ability to change key code without reinstalling, but I am not sure about the 2012.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Regarding questions about the different keycode formats:
In WSA2013 and before if you put in an old style-keycode it would say you have a new keycode and save it to a text file on the desktop. I do not know if that still works in WSA2014.

My testing was with special promotional codes we got in 2009/2010 and they are apparently a special kind of keycode, that may also contribute to my being able to use them.
Userlevel 7
Well I never!  That is definitively one for the note book.  That is really great news...as I said, it never hurts to ask. 😉