Will WSA wake up a sleeping system?

• 7 October 2013
  • 5 replies

Hello!

I'm new to WSA and am testing a trial version of the program. I normally put my Win 7 system to "sleep" when I'm not actively using it, and a few minutes ago it "woke up" all by itself and a lot of disk activity started. Does anyone know if WSA is smart enough to wake a "sleeping" system when a scan is scheduled to be done?

Thanks, Wayne

5 replies

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
While I would normally agree (I use a defrag program thats shuts down my PC) considering the that the scan times on my PC are shorter than my boot-up time I dont think WSA needs that particular feature :D
Moreover if a PC sleeps it isn't exposed to security risks so waking up machine and running a scan seems to me redundant.
Userlevel 7
While I would normally agree (I use a defrag program thats shuts down my PC) considering the that the scan times on my PC are shorter than my boot-up time I dont think WSA needs that particular feature :D
Folks,

Thanks for the quick reply! After more testing is seems that I had forgotten on my "test" system to disable to ability of mouse movement to wake the system. I must have accidentially moved the mouse, which caused the wake up. I've disabled that feature and will check to make sure my system does not wake up that way again!

Actually, it would be nice if WSA COULD wake up a sleeping system, do a scan, and then go back to sleep. I'm using a backup program with such a feature, and it is very useful.

Thanks again,
Wayne

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
No it shouldnt wake up a PC (unless somehing has changed) it has never woke up any of my test PC`s or Work PCs. Do you have "Wake on LAN" enabled in your PC`s BIOS by any chance? 
Same here. WSA never woke up my machine.
Userlevel 7
No it shouldnt wake up a PC (unless somehing has changed) it has never woke up any of my test PC`s or Work PCs. Do you have "Wake on LAN" enabled in your PC`s BIOS by any chance?