Solved

Will WSA work with Internet Explorer 11

• 12 November 2013
  • 28 replies

Userlevel 2
I notice IE11 is now listed in Windows Updates as "important". I currently have IE9 on Windows 7 64bit. I do not have a touch screen and use keyboard/mouse to navigate web etc. Does WSA work with it, ie as regards safe search ticks etc, and is it worth upgrading to IE 11 in the first place?
George
icon

Best answer by explanoit 13 November 2013, 23:09

View original

28 replies

Userlevel 7
As a general rule you should always have the latest browser installed from a security point of view. And as far as I am aware the toolbar has now been fixed so it works with IE11.
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
I have 4 extensions listed for ie11.2 are compatable,2 are not.The ones that are not are the Toolbar and Vault.That's been my experience thus far.
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
let alone the necessity to keep Windows components updated, you have to take into consideration that 3rd party software, plugins, toolbars and the like will generally outdated and not operationnal until their devs keep up... i.e. WSA doesn't work with IE11
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
The latest update to the Filtering Extension (1.0.0.12) brings full support for IE11, and improved performance across all IE versions, according to VP of Development JoeJ, and positive reports are coming from users.
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
then how come it's unavailable here: windows 8.1 x64 IE 11.0. 9600.16384 ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Can Webroot please confirm how to force this update, or specify how or when it gets updated?
Userlevel 7
An uninstall/reinstall forces the update. :robothappy:
Userlevel 7
Hi Mike

I believe that is correct unless one is suffering from the issue where the installer is unable to determine the correct path for a browser (in my case FF) and no number of uninstalls/reboots/clean installs will result in a successful install of FF (in my case).  Support have advised me (as I stated in another thread) that this is a known issue and that it should be rectified shortly.

For me it affected FF whilst IE has installed originally 1.0.0.8 successfully and since then this has silently been updated to 1.0.0.12.  What I do not know is whether the installer issue, which apparently is not general, affects only FF or if in soem cases it can also affect IE instead of or even also. 

Although from what yeoldfart is reporting it looks like he may be suffering from this too but IE-wise. @ , have you tried with the other supported browsers, i.e., Chrome or Firefox?  Be intgeresting to hear what your experience is with those, if you use them?

Anyway, am waiting patiently for the rollout of the fix which should be in the next release (but I do from time to time check FF to see if I am prompted for the addons install, and once a week I uninstall/reboot/clean install WSA...also just in case...but so far no change.

I just keep saying to myself..."patience is a virtue", etc.

HTH?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @ 
Do you know the HTTP link to the source CAB file that the WSA client is downloading and extracting?
Userlevel 7
@ Yes and I am distributing it via PM.

I have distributed the URL via private message. Please respond to this thread if it resolves your issue and Send me a Private Message if I missed you in its distribution.
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
affects IE11, Chrome and FF alltogether
Userlevel 2
In an add-on to my original question. Ive now upgraded to IE10, which runs the 32bit version by default. WSA works fine with this (safe search green ticks show etc). I`ve just  tried IE11 again, both 64bit  (as I have Windows 7 64bit OS), and the 32bit version. WSA doesnt show anything when searching with either version. No green ticks, nothing (although it does work in some capacity, as WSA popup windows appear every now and again saying "this site has a known threat. Allow or close" etc when surfing).

Regarding the update that has been mentioned in recent posts to fix this problem in IE 11...Does it cover both 64 and 32 bit versions of IE11? And if so, when will it be rolled out, as ive just uninstalled/reinstalled WSA again as suggested  and it still doesnt work?

George
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi George,

If you have the new Web Shield and listed in IE11 as far as I can see now that IE runs both 32bit & 64bit processes at the same time and it works with my Win 8.1 x64 IE11 but as far as I know 32bit Browsers are only supported unless things have changed maybe a Webroot Staff member can confirm that would be great.

HTH,

Daniel

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Also I just installed Windows Updates on Win 8.1 x64 and the latest IE11 and WSA still works fine.

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 7
Hi Mike

Have just tried to replace the contents of the CAB into the WRDATA folder and whilst IE still works, albeit with v1.0.0.14 FF is still not showing or recognising the Webroot addons.

I still believe that Lucas (in Support) is correct when he says that the FF issue is related to an installer issue that will be fixed in the next release.  May be worth having a quick word with him if you can on this. :D

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@ 
You must put the Firefox files into a ZIP then rename it to a .XPI file. Then you can drag it into the Firefox window to install the plugin.

I have absolutely no idea how I knew to do this...
Userlevel 7
Hi explanoit

Thanks but I have absolutely no idea what you mean...;)

What files into a .zip that is then renamed to 'what'.xpi...if you do not mind me asking?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@ 
You must put the Firefox files into a ZIP then rename it to a .XPI file. Then you can drag it into the Firefox window to install the plugin.

I have absolutely no idea how I knew to do this...
We need details buddy! 😃 As it could help others.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Am waiting and ready to give it a go.  Just need them there instructionies...:@ 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@ @ 

1. Extract the cab
  2. Navigate to this folder: .PkgFirefoxWebrootSecure_SocketServer
  3. Put all the contents into a .zip file
  4. Rename the .zip file to .xpi
  5. Drag the .xpi file into your Firefox browser window
  6. Install the extension it prompts you to allow
Userlevel 7
Thanks, explanoit

Will give this a try shortly and post back the results...fingers crossed. ;)

Balders
Userlevel 7
Hi explanoit

Yup, that worked. :D

First time I created the .zip/renamed to .xpi from the wrong level of the .cab contents but eventually managed to create 'WebrootSecure_SocketServer.xpi', dragged to FF main browser page and sure enough it was recognised and installed.  Restarted FF and had a bit of a fright when the Google banner appeared to be over large???? but closed down FF, restarted, ran a Google search and hey presto! Little green ticks to the left of the proposed urls.

Excellent.  I think that we have a solution here (at least for FF but presume that something similar, i.e., extract the relevant elements and name the resulting .zip in the cases of IE & Chrome...if required?

explanoit...many thanks for that. Nice one, mate.

Respect

Baldrick 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well that will help the Devolpment Team figure out a fix for one's with this issue. @ 

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@ 
For Chrome, drag the .crx file into the Chrome window. I haven't tried this in a long time but it should work?

For IE that will require a Webroot installer as WRSA.exe maintains a lock on some of the files. Trust me you don't want something I hacked together, I barely understand IE addon registration - only enough to be dangerous :cathappy:
Userlevel 7
Hi explanoit

It is OK...I don't use Chrome but was interested as I believe there are a couple of user here who have had issues in that area.  As for IE...I believe you...but luckily for me the IE version is working perfectly on my system.

Thanks again, Baldrick :catwink: