Solved

Windows 10 1909 reporting Webroot is off & Webroot is slowing computer

• 15 November 2019
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

After updating Win 10 to version 1909 on November 12, 2019, the following issues have occurred with SecureAnywhere:

1. I am getting repeated notifications that SecureAnywhere is turned off even though it is shown as running when I check the Security Settings.
  2. SecureAnywhere is also causing a slow loading of many websites using Firefox, Chrome or Edge.  For example, a high overhead site like ESPN takes over 10 secs to load.  Turning off the WEB shield has no effect.  If SecureAnywhere is turned completely off the site loads in about 2 secs, as has been the case before the Win 10 1909 update.
  3. Additionally, after the new installation, my first use of a program (e.g., Excel) results in very slow loading of the application; however, the second time I load the program it starts very quickly as expected.

I have observed these issues on both my desktop and laptop computers.  I spoke with Webroot technical support today (November 14) and was told that Webroot is aware of the first issue.  The other issues less so, but I was told they could be related.  The support person remotely uploaded log files from my desktop computer and performed another uninstall/reinstall.  This installation is also behaving as described above.  My issues have been raised to an elevated level and I am expecting a call from a support engineer in the next few days

I am hoping these problems are resolved soon.

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 4 December 2019, 04:57

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

This is the response I just received from Webroot.

START

9.0.27.201 is 9.0.26.61 repackaged. It's an easy way for customers stuck on 9.0.27.49 to "roll back" the version. Seeing as Webroot will only update if it's a newer version number. So please keep 9.0.26.61 installed, no need to update to 9.0.27.201 as it's exactly the same. 9.0.27.49 also cased issues with printer/scanners and some gaming software, we only received a handful of reports relating to "slow downs".

Sorry I know that must be confusing, I hope this helps to clarify.

END

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I have downloaded the installer note by cpcnw and it indicates version 9.0.27.201.  However, I have not yet installed it.

Webroot technical support has not advised me to install this version.  Note that I have not experienced the printer issues noted by cpcnw.

For the time being I will stick with 9.0.26.61.  Perhaps this new update will auto-install at some point.

I have asked for a comment from Webroot technical support.

A little confusing to me.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Got feedback and an updte from support which resolved the slow printing for me.

---

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Webroot Support.

Webroot has received reports of symptoms similar to those that you have reported. We have updated our software version to address these reports and we ask that you follow the steps below to update Webroot.

1. Right-click the Webroot system tray icon. This is typically located next to the clock display.
2. In the context menu that appears, click "Shut down protection".
3. If asked to confirm whether you want to shut down Webroot, click "yes". If prompted, complete the CAPTCHA window and click Enter.
4. To install the update, click the link below to download the latest installer.

http://anywhere.webrootcloudav.com/zerol/wsaupd.exe

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

I received assistance again today (December 3) from a Webroot Escalation Team software engineer.  The engineer helped to again reinstall version 9.0.26.61.  This reinstall was on my desktop where I had previously uninstalled SecureAnywhere, restarted Windows and then renamed the WRData folder.  I subsequently was using Windows Defender.  After the work today, version 9.0.26.61 now seems to be working properly without the slowdowns noted in my first post except for the popup notification.  The popup is still under investigation.

I also personally uninstalled version 9.0.27.49 and reinstalled 9.0.26.61 on my laptop and it also now seems to be working without the slowdowns.  The popup, however, is still occurring.

The engineer was not sure why my previous reinstall/install on the desktop did not work, but told me that there has been a “heuristic update” to SecureAnywhere in the last day or so that may be related.  It certainly is possible that I may have slipped-up in my previous reinstall/install, but I believe I followed the procedure correctly.

Regarding Grump1e’s reply, I have not had his uninstall/reinstall problems.

Finally, I wish to compliment the Webroot software engineers on the help they have provided to this point.  Each one has been knowledgeable, well-spoken and a good listener.

I wouldn’t worry about the pop-up just as long as you can see the Webroot Icon in the system tray by the clock, but I do believe IMO that v9.0.27.49 is buggy at best, glad you are back on v9.0.26.61 until they fix the issues! @BradW 

Thanks,

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I received assistance again today (December 3) from a Webroot Escalation Team software engineer.  The engineer helped to again reinstall version 9.0.26.61.  This reinstall was on my desktop where I had previously uninstalled SecureAnywhere, restarted Windows and then renamed the WRData folder.  I subsequently was using Windows Defender.  After the work today, version 9.0.26.61 now seems to be working properly without the slowdowns noted in my first post except for the popup notification.  The popup is still under investigation.

I also personally uninstalled version 9.0.27.49 and reinstalled 9.0.26.61 on my laptop and it also now seems to be working without the slowdowns.  The popup, however, is still occurring.

The engineer was not sure why my previous reinstall/install on the desktop did not work, but told me that there has been a “heuristic update” to SecureAnywhere in the last day or so that may be related.  It certainly is possible that I may have slipped-up in my previous reinstall/install, but I believe I followed the procedure correctly.

Regarding Grump1e’s reply, I have not had his uninstall/reinstall problems.

Finally, I wish to compliment the Webroot software engineers on the help they have provided to this point.  Each one has been knowledgeable, well-spoken and a good listener.

Badge +5

I have similar problem to yours on one of my two laptops running W10 - 1909. The other seems fine  running version 9.9.27.49.

On the problematic PC I found  two apparent copies of Webroot.  After uninstalling via the Control panel, and later a forced uninstall via Revo Uninstaller, there remains a copy, of V 9.0.26.61, which seems to be stable but undetectable - it. does not appear on any list of programs to uninstall.  It also will not update to the latest Webroot version nor does this PC appear on the online Webroot account.

Several years ago I recall having a similar problem uninstalling Webroot, but cannot find the uninstall procedure. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I spoke with Webroot Technical Support today (November 27) to ask if any progress is being made to resolve the issues I reported in my post of November 14.  As noted in my original post I spoke with Webroot Technical Support on November 14.  Additionally, a development engineer worked with me on Monday November 18 and verified my issues.

I was told today that Webroot developers are still working on the issues associated with the Win 10 version 1909 update.  Additionally, the support engineer advised me to uninstall SecureAnywhere version 9.0.27.49 (latest version) and reinstall version 9.0.26.61 and provided me with instructions to do so.  He suggested that this reinstall should allow me to use SecureAnywhere without the issues I have observed until a working update is provided from the development team.

I performed the uninstall/reinstall and verified that version 9.0.26.61 was reinstalled.  Sadly, the problems are the same as I reported on November 14.  For the time being, I have uninstalled SecureAnywhere and am using Windows Defender.

I hope a solution will be forth coming soon.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

See my other post about printing to add to the list. Affects W10 machines that have been updated to 1909 and have webroot installed! This should be a priority for Webroot!