Windows 10 Action Center Notification

Show first post

67 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello BVilleBound

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Please have a look here as this problem is not only with Webroot but with other AVs.

Webroot is doing there best to fix this issue. It's hard to watch all this happening with Webroot and the Windows Security Center.

So I don't believe it would be feasible to reply to everybody. Alot of us are not having this issue and I have 3 PCs running Windows 10 without these popups. I quess I am the fortunate not to have this issue. We wish we could figure out why this only happens to some and not others.

We are sorry for everyones frustrations and inconviences that is happening to but it looks like our hands are tied.

Webroot should proactively notify every customer of this problem -- and the solution.  Their customer will obviously be very worried when Windows 10 repeatedly tells them, "Your AV protection is turned OFF!! -- Click here to do something NOW!"  

Webroot should not leave customers hanging out to dry -- searching Google for answers.

Mark Hays

Userlevel 7
Well, it was worth checking/making sure that you had the latest information.

Hang in there...I have a feeling that it will be sorted soon. ;)
Userlevel 2
Thanks. I was aware of this workaround (partially disable Windows Security Center) but opted not to go that route as I do want to be notified of any problems in this area...at least those Windows detects. This notification is proven to be valuable when an installed security product has gone 'belly up' with no native notification. A competitors product does this on occation; Windows Security Center is the only overt notification that is received. Yikes!

FWIW - I have implemented the the delayed service startup workaround which prevents being spammed on reboots but does not prevent ongoing notifications (2-3x per day on my primary workstation).
Userlevel 7
Hi Davey126

I assure you that your post was definitively not seen as 'barking' at anyone...it was an excellent post.

Appreciate the position from your perspective...having said that have you tried the 'fix' as presented in this previous thread? It cannot to be said to be a permament fix for all sufferers of this issue as we have had reports from some uses that after an initial period of no popups/normality the issue reapears after a few reboots.

Having said that, if you ahve not tried it it may be worth a go just in case yo are one of the ones for whom it does.

Hope that you hang on and remain in the Webroot Family. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Thanks. Understand the issues/obstacles but also understand there are enough users experiencing this problem that it can not be described as 'ellusive' (my term). Also realize the importance of comprehensive regression testing but to date there is no indication a fix has been found no less undergoing testing. That suggests a deployable fix is weeks (if not months) away. Unlikely I will stick around that long. That said, I appreciate the prompt response; not barking at you or the other mods :)

Yes, I will open a support ticket but don't have any expecations that it will improve the current situation.
Userlevel 7
Hi Davey126

Understand the frustration but unfortunately, as far as I understand it (i) the issue was caused by changes in Windows and therefore to a certain extent the Webroot Support Team are on the back foot as a result, (ii) the issue only affects some users NOT all, (iii) and there in is the rub as when trying to identify the cause of such a problem it is more difficult when it only manifests itself some of the time and then only for some users, & (iv) finally, when producing a fix for those affected one has to be very, very careful to not adversely affect thos not affected by the issue...as that may only make matters worse.

I am sure that the Support Team are doing all that they can to get to the bottom of this. But if you feel very strongly about this I would Open a Support Ticket to let them know first hand.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
This problem persists nearly 3 weeks (!) after being first reported. We hear from sympathic moderators but no real progress. Many other security products that compete in this space are not experiencing the same problem. At some point patience will wear thin. I can not advance the use of Webroot products to clients with a signficant Win 10 presense given the annoying and potentially ominous notifications that appear 2-3 times per day. 
Userlevel 3
Badge +10
Just wanted to add my experience.This first time Action Center reported this(probably about 3 weeks ago-no restart or patches involved-I was in the middle of watching a 2 hour video)),I found WebRoot turned off and Windows Defender was running a scan.When Windows Defender finished,I turned WebRoot back on and WD off.Since then I get Action Center reports about twice a day,but I have never found WebRoot turned off again.I am going to wait until there is  an official fix.
Userlevel 7
Hi clarkstreet

Welcome to the Community Forums.

We very much sympathise with your plight and all that we can say is that the Support Team continue to work on trying to find a fix for an issue that Microsoft have introduced by making changes in the OS (delivered by a recent WIndow Update). Unfortunately, as you might well imagine...it will not be easy dealing with MS on this as it is not just a case of WSA that is broken for some users but also other security apps that have to communicate with the Security Centre.

Regards, Baldrick
same problem here.Tried the services,changed from "Automatic (Delayed)" to "Automatic.Clicked apply.Still getting notifications.Checked the setting and is still on automatic.Very annoying.When check security,shows webroot is on.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
You were right. I rebooted about three times just for fun, and everything seemed OK. But, while I was using Thunderbird 38.7.0 to compose an email message, the notification popped up. That reminded me about when the notifications often were popping up. This may or may not add another dimension to the issue, but that's what happened here.
I assure I take no pleasure in seeing that I havve been proved right. I hope that Webroot manage to get to the bottom of this soon, and am sure that theynare doing their best..

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
See here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Webroot-turned-off-showing-message-numerous-times-on-slide-in/m-p/244852#M16710

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
You were right. I rebooted about three times just for fun, and everything seemed OK. But, while I was using Thunderbird 38.7.0 to compose an email message, the notification popped up. That reminded me about when the notifications often were popping up. This may or may not add another dimension to the issue, but that's what happened here.
Userlevel 7
I would wait a while and see what happens after a bit of time and a few reboots as we have had reports of initial success followed by a re-emergence of the issue...unfortunately.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17
Sherry,

Uninstall/reinstall seems to have worked. Looks like we've never left the "old days" when Windows Update broke something and that usually fixed the problem. I appreciated your providing the download link; but, Webroot was smart enough to provide me a link to re-download the installer with keycode, and it installed with my keycode already there.

Thanks,

Rick
Userlevel 7
That is indeed the case, Daniel. I am not seeing the issue on any of my systems...all running latest Windows 10 release & latest version of WSA.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Again not all of us are seeing this as I don't on my 2 Win 10 Laptops or in my VM's but Webroot is working with Microsoft for the fix but be sure WSA is still protecting you!

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Davey126,

You are correct I quess with that staement but sometimes that reinstall has helped others but the big issue still lies as you say untill a new realease of Webroot will help this.

As TripleHelix posted here:

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Webroot-turned-off-showing-message-numerous-times-on-slide-in/m-p/243811#M16587

Userlevel 2
Seems reinstallation would only help if the installer has been refreshed. The current workaround (set Windows Security Center autostart to 'delayed') only helps on initial boot; the notification reappears on wakeups and at various times during the day. Really need a new build of WebRoot to fix the problem.

Edit: It seems reinstallation is helping in some cases. So I'll moderate the orignal comment although not retract it fully as it is too soon to know if reinstallation of the existing code base yields a permenant fix. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Would you want to do a uninstall/reinstall? If so try this below and see if that helps?

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need.
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings if asked to as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Please let us know if that resolves your issue? But the Support Team saids this issue will be fixed with the next Webroot release. Sorry for any inconviences.
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
Windows 10 Home Premium. The fix did not work for me.
Userlevel 7
?,

No problem at all!

I am also looking forward to a resolution to this! 

Hope you have a great day!

Regards,

Userlevel 2
Appreciate the prompt response. Was aware of these remediations but good to have them repeated (didn't miss anything). Looking forward to the update when it becomes available.
Userlevel 7
Hello ?,

The Webroot Development team has been notified of this issue and is currently working on a resolution.

We expect to address this issue in an upcoming software version release, which will be downloaded automatically to your computer and installed when it is available. Please note that Webroot SecureAnywhere is functioning properly and it is protecting your device as expected. However, if you find these alerts to be bothersome, you have a couple of options.

You may either disregard the notification that temporarily indicates your security is turned off or you may disable the notifications in Windows Security Center by following the instructions below:

1. In the bottom left of the desktop, search for Control Panel
2. Click on “System and Security”
3. Click on “Security and Maintenance”
4. On the left side menu click “Change Security and Maintenance settings”
5. Uncheck the box for “Spyware and unwanted software protection” and “Virus Protection”
6. Click “OK”
7. Restart your computer.

If you select the latter, once we’ve release a new version that addresses this issue, it is advised that you re-enable the settings above by checking the boxes “Spyware and unwanted software protection” and “Virus Protection”
Additionally, once the newer version has been installed, please check to see if the issue you reported is still occurring. If it is, please let us know as we will need to troubleshoot the issue further.

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions. 

Have a great day!

Regards,