Windows 10 Action Center Notification

Show first post

67 replies

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
You were right. I rebooted about three times just for fun, and everything seemed OK. But, while I was using Thunderbird 38.7.0 to compose an email message, the notification popped up. That reminded me about when the notifications often were popping up. This may or may not add another dimension to the issue, but that's what happened here.
I assure I take no pleasure in seeing that I havve been proved right. I hope that Webroot manage to get to the bottom of this soon, and am sure that theynare doing their best..

Userlevel 7
Hi Davey126

Understand the frustration but unfortunately, as far as I understand it (i) the issue was caused by changes in Windows and therefore to a certain extent the Webroot Support Team are on the back foot as a result, (ii) the issue only affects some users NOT all, (iii) and there in is the rub as when trying to identify the cause of such a problem it is more difficult when it only manifests itself some of the time and then only for some users, & (iv) finally, when producing a fix for those affected one has to be very, very careful to not adversely affect thos not affected by the issue...as that may only make matters worse.

I am sure that the Support Team are doing all that they can to get to the bottom of this. But if you feel very strongly about this I would Open a Support Ticket to let them know first hand.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Hello TucsonST

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

We appreciate all that you have to say. As this would be helpful if possible to notifiy mass Webroot users.

But this issue is also the fact that other AV's are having the same issues. https://www.google.com/search?q=security+center+windows+10&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=_wnbVuXTFo...

As being on the Webroot Beta team there is a fix is in the next Webroot release and that will be released soon

Please have a look here that explains more: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Webroot-turned-off-showing-message-numerous-times-on-slide-in/m-p/243811#M16587

Does Microsoft email their mass users when there is a problem? Just saying...:D

Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Like Sherry said we Beta testers are using a version that fixes this issue and should be released to everyone very soon.

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
@ wrote:
Webroot should proactively notify every customer of this problem -- and the solution.  Their customer will obviously be very worried when Windows 10 repeatedly tells them, "Your AV protection is turned OFF!! -- Click here to do something NOW!"  

Webroot should not leave customers hanging out to dry -- searching Google for answers.

Mark Hays

@ wrote:
I agree with BVilleBound.  I'm not expecting the company to reply to every email, but sending out a mass email notification to their subscribers to let us know they're are aware of the problem and working on a solution would go a long way.  They are certainly able to contact us when it's time to renew our subscription, so they can also contact us when there is a problem like this affecting so may of their customers.
It's just cosmetic as WSA is still protecting you and it took time as Webroot had to converse with Microsoft because of recent Windows Updates: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Webroot-turned-off-showing-message-numerous-times-on-slide-in/m-p/243811#M16587

Just be patient a fix will be out soon.

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 2
Hi Sherry (@Ssherjj)

No disrespect intended. As previously noted I very much appreciate the prompt responses and encouraging tone from the moderators of this forum. Several weeks back someone (poster or moderator) mentioned multiple AVs experiencing this problem and the statement simply carried forward. I share your optimism regarding the upcoming release and hope it clears the Win 10 notification problem. The other type of annoying pop-up (personal security report) has been an issue for 18+ months based on reports other posters. It would seem the Webroot devs and/or marketing folks have opted to retain this 'feature' - possibly as a remider of which AV product is on duty as most hide in the system tray unoticed on a clean system. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Hi Davey126,

Thank you and I appreciate your responses. I wish I could help with the Personal Security Reports. Because I do hear of this occuring....and all we can say is to click out of them. :@:

Anyways have a Good night! ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Great Daniel! Much appreciated... I searched myself but I did not search properly.:@

Thank you for further information! I do feel much better now knowing this! ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Well it's been over a month! Also I don't have this issue on my 2 Laptops with Windows 10 and most of us VIP's didn't as well so I couldn't reproduce and that made it confusing to why some had this issue and some didn't. And hopefully they will release a new version ASAP like today would be nice.

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
Actually is was fixed as we Beta testers were testing it and Tuesdays Windows Updates broke it again. :@

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Security-Industry-News/Microsoft-Patch-Tuesday-April-12-2016/m-p/249374#M25208

Sorry,

Daniel 😠
Userlevel 3
I know it, just very frustrated.......  Sorry.
Userlevel 2
I waited awhile (several days) before posting just to make sure ...

The faux Win 10 Action Center notification issue appears to have abated on my primary workstation following a reboot. Nothing of note was installed just prior to or immediately following the reboot other than KB3119142 which is related to 2012 Visual C++. Seems an unlikely correlation. Not sure what happened when - just happy the spamming has stopped. Yeah!

SecureAnywhere 9.0.8.80
Thank you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
You are most Welcome!:D
Userlevel 7
Well, do let us know what you find/whether it works for you or not.Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Is this a solution for Windows 10??
Maybe its the way Windows 10 is configured on my PC, but I don't have the same Start menu as existed with Windows 7.
When I open the menu at the left of my task bar, where Start used to be, I don't have a search bar at the bottom. So I can't seaarch for "Services" in that way.
I've looked at everything available from the "Settings" option in that menu, I've also looked under >Control Panel>System and Security,
I've looked in the Task Manager window under the tabs for Processes, Services, and Startup.
But, I don't find "Security Center" listed as such, so I can't see any way to change its "Startup type"

How would I go about this in Windows 10?

Thanks much,
Marty
Userlevel 1
For the most part that does seem to have fixed it. It looks like I now get those Action Center notices only about once a day, ans sometimes not even that often. I think (but haven't verified) that they're only happening when I reboot or start up, much better than popping up while I'm using it severaly times a day.

It would be nice if Webroot gets a clean fix for this. It would also be nice if Microsoft stopped breaking things. I know they can't keep updating Windows and never ever break something somewhere. But, sometimes the thing that breaks and the way in which it breaks, for example repeating RED notices to check your virus protection and anti-spyware apps, as a result of running non-Microsoft virus protection, is just odd and frustrating.
Userlevel 7
Hi mkolina

Many thanks for the feedback...it is all useful, but as you say it would be good to get a final and definitive fix to this.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Seems reinstallation would only help if the installer has been refreshed. The current workaround (set Windows Security Center autostart to 'delayed') only helps on initial boot; the notification reappears on wakeups and at various times during the day. Really need a new build of WebRoot to fix the problem.

Edit: It seems reinstallation is helping in some cases. So I'll moderate the orignal comment although not retract it fully as it is too soon to know if reinstallation of the existing code base yields a permenant fix. 
Userlevel 7
That is indeed the case, Daniel. I am not seeing the issue on any of my systems...all running latest Windows 10 release & latest version of WSA.
Userlevel 7
Hi clarkstreet

Welcome to the Community Forums.

We very much sympathise with your plight and all that we can say is that the Support Team continue to work on trying to find a fix for an issue that Microsoft have introduced by making changes in the OS (delivered by a recent WIndow Update). Unfortunately, as you might well imagine...it will not be easy dealing with MS on this as it is not just a case of WSA that is broken for some users but also other security apps that have to communicate with the Security Centre.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
This problem persists nearly 3 weeks (!) after being first reported. We hear from sympathic moderators but no real progress. Many other security products that compete in this space are not experiencing the same problem. At some point patience will wear thin. I can not advance the use of Webroot products to clients with a signficant Win 10 presense given the annoying and potentially ominous notifications that appear 2-3 times per day. 
Userlevel 2
Thanks. Understand the issues/obstacles but also understand there are enough users experiencing this problem that it can not be described as 'ellusive' (my term). Also realize the importance of comprehensive regression testing but to date there is no indication a fix has been found no less undergoing testing. That suggests a deployable fix is weeks (if not months) away. Unlikely I will stick around that long. That said, I appreciate the prompt response; not barking at you or the other mods :)

Yes, I will open a support ticket but don't have any expecations that it will improve the current situation.
Userlevel 7
Hi Davey126

I assure you that your post was definitively not seen as 'barking' at anyone...it was an excellent post.

Appreciate the position from your perspective...having said that have you tried the 'fix' as presented in this previous thread? It cannot to be said to be a permament fix for all sufferers of this issue as we have had reports from some uses that after an initial period of no popups/normality the issue reapears after a few reboots.

Having said that, if you ahve not tried it it may be worth a go just in case yo are one of the ones for whom it does.

Hope that you hang on and remain in the Webroot Family. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Thanks. I was aware of this workaround (partially disable Windows Security Center) but opted not to go that route as I do want to be notified of any problems in this area...at least those Windows detects. This notification is proven to be valuable when an installed security product has gone 'belly up' with no native notification. A competitors product does this on occation; Windows Security Center is the only overt notification that is received. Yikes!

FWIW - I have implemented the the delayed service startup workaround which prevents being spammed on reboots but does not prevent ongoing notifications (2-3x per day on my primary workstation).

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept or continue browsing you agree to our cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings