Solved

Windows 2004, Webroot / Chrome Won't launch

• 17 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Nagging problem where Chrome won’t load at all until we do the following

1. shutdown protection
  2. launch chrome
  3. reboot / enable protection

Now Chrome works fine,  this is a great bandaid but I’d appreciate an understanding of whats going on and a more permanant solution. 

icon

Best answer by dspigelm 23 April 2021, 00:08

View original

4 replies

Generic install,  Windows 10, Office, Chrome - nothing special.  No sandbox

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

What version of Chrome do you use? I have no issues with the current release.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

May I suggest that you do a clean reinstall of WSA.

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Look to see if this folder is gone: C:\ProgramData\WRData and if it’s there delete it. (Hidden Area)
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
  • DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done

Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Thanks,

Okay, there's news on this front. The newest version of the Webroot agent - 9.0.30.75 - fixes the issue. I know because I'm now running that version, and Chrome now works properly. But, at this time, there's a little bit of an issue. Now if you're talking about adding a new computer, it will now get the new version. But existing computers will not, for now. They're trying to manage the rollout, which doesn't help people who are having the problem. To fix the problem, you can use the MD5 signature to permit the specific version of Chrome that is having the problem, as noted above. If a newer version comes out that doesn’t fix the problem, though, it will have a different MD5 signature, and the problem will return.

The alternative solution is a little bit more labor intensive, but offers a long-term fix:

1. Uninstall the agent from the computer in question. If you can do it on the machine, that’s fine. If not, you’ll have to find the machine in the console, select it, and then issue the agent command to uninstall the agent… and then wait until it does.
  2. Once that’s uninstalled, and only after it’s been uninstalled, you will need to delete the C:\ProgramData\WRData folder. You will only be able to do this once the software has been uninstalled.
  3. Download and install the newest version of the agent from the console, and install it.

If you don’t remove the WRData folder, apparently, it won’t work. But I now have it working properly.