Solved

Windows 8.1 - I run an AutoIt script in startup. Webroot refuses to allow it to execute

Windows 8.1 - I run an AutoIt script in startup. Webroot refuses to allow it to execute. I put it into the list of allowed programs and every time I restart my computer, Webroot stops the execution and wants to remove the program. I deselect the program and continue and it goes into a scan. Even when I manually enter the program into the excedption list, no joy! How do I get around this problem?

Don
icon

Best answer by DonC 6 January 2015, 20:15

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello!

Is the script still set as "Allowed" list when you restart?
Userlevel 7
Hi DonC

Would it be out of place to ask what the script does, as I am wondering if by any chance it is not the script that WSA is objecting to but rather the activities/actions that it is performing?

The above is a longshot, and I am aware that there have been some sporadic issues with WSA and scripts run at 'sensitive' times...so to be honest it looks like your best bet would be to Open a Support Ticket, explaining to the Support Team exactly what is being run; a sample of the script would be a useful addition if that is possible, and then see what they think as to what the issue may be.

Should that be the course of action you take then please do post back here with information as to the outcome.  This sort of feedback is extremely useful to usehere in the Community, to assist users in future with the same or similar issues.

Regards, Baldrick
@ wrote:
Hi DonC

Would it be out of place to ask what the script does, as I am wondering if by any chance it is not the script that WSA is objecting to but rather the activities/actions that it is performing?

The above is a longshot, and I am aware that there have been some sporadic issues with WSA and scripts run at 'sensitive' times...so to be honest it looks like your best bet would be to Open a Support Ticket, explaining to the Support Team exactly what is being run; a sample of the script would be a useful addition if that is possible, and then see what they think as to what the issue may be.

Should that be the course of action you take then please do post back here with information as to the outcome.  This sort of feedback is extremely useful to usehere in the Community, to assist users in future with the same or similar issues.

Regards, Baldrick
Baldrick,

Sure! The script runs some of the programs I always want running (Thunderbird, Firefox), runs the password manager I always want running and clears the desktop of some items that need responses to continue loading. It's really nothing fancy, just helpful.

WSA was working fine with this script; then, Windows crashed and recovery required reinstallation of all the software (Windows 8.1 recovery said it had to delete the "apps". Well, I use Startmenu 8 and work as if it were  a "normal" Windows system and not the "metro" version. MS calls the programs that run under metro "apps," so I assumed that was what they were deleting. Not so, my friend, not so! They deleted EVERYTHING except the OS. I had had this problem with WSA when I first set this system up, but the problem went away after a few times of not liking the AutoIt script. Now it won't seem to go away, no matter what I do.

I can certainly open a support ticket and see what results.

Don
@ wrote:
Hello!

Yes, it is.
Userlevel 7
Hi DonC

Many thanks for the feedback...very interesting, as I run StartMenu 8 on Win8.1 system.

Given what you say your best bet is very definitively the Support Ticket...and by opening the ticket the scan & threat logs for your system are automatically uploaded to the Support Team so they should have a head start in terms of determining why the script is being 'rejected'.

Do keep us posted, please...this is very interesting indeed.

Have a great weekend.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Hello!

Yes, it is.
I certainly recommend as Baldrick said and opening a support ticket. Please let us know the outcome and what the issue was.

Thanks!!!
Baldrick,

Thanks! I did open (re-open) a support ticket. I realized that I had a privious ticket on this issue and the response had been, "We fixed some things and now it should work." Doesn't tell you much, does it? BUT, I will let you know the results of my inquiry. (They did tell me to disable Webroot and try it again, but this occurs on a reboot! Of course, they want the information collected by the tool.)

BTW, thanks for what you do here! I was a volunteer SysOp on Netwire, Novell's volunteer support service for many years, so I know how important it is to have this sort of support in the community!

Happy New Year!

Don
Userlevel 7
Hi DonC

Thanks again for the feedback. I have to admit that the original response does seem somewhat nebulous and not up to the usual helpful standard with expect...but as you so wisely intimated...lets see. As I said before please continue to keepmus posted as to what you find...Corey and I are most interested in the outcome.

Many thanks for your kind thanks...whilst never requited it is nevertheless very satisfying to receive it...as I am sure you will remember...;)

And a great 2015 to you too

Regards, Baldrick
OK, I did as requested by Support. I disabled Webroot and rebooted my system. My startup script ran as expected all the way to completion. I then collected and uploaded the logs to Support, per request. Let's see where it goes from here.

Don

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
OK, I did as requested by Support. I disabled Webroot and rebooted my system. My startup script ran as expected all the way to completion. I then collected and uploaded the logs to Support, per request. Let's see where it goes from here.

Don

Well, that's a start at least...
Userlevel 7
Sounding good, DonC, sounding good...at least you are moving forward...which is the main thing. :D

Regards, Baldrick
OK, it appears that is as far as we are going. Everything is working fine. We just can't explain why! So, the solution for this problem seems to be:

1. Disable Webroot
  2. Run the script
  3. Reboot
  4. Webroot is re-enabled and everything is working fine.
 I just don't like problems without an explanation! What changed? The only thing I can figure is that the script executed once without Webroot stopping it and SOMEHOW that fixed the problem. What changed when the script executed without being stopped by Webroot? Did Windows 8.1 flag the file in some way? Even though the script showed up as an exception before doing any of this, did this somehow cause Webroot to flag the script in some other way? I, at least, don't know. The good thing is the problem no longer exists!

Baldrick and Corey, thanks for hanging with me on this one! I know from my experience as a Netwire SysOp that it's guys like you who make the whole software process workable for those of us less "in-the-know". I really appreciate your help!

Don
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
OK, it appears that is as far as we are going. Everything is working fine. We just can't explain why! So, the solution for this problem seems to be:

1. Disable Webroot
  2. Run the script
  3. Reboot
  4. Webroot is re-enabled and everything is working fine.
 I just don't like problems without an explanation! What changed? The only thing I can figure is that the script executed once without Webroot stopping it and SOMEHOW that fixed the problem. What changed when the script executed without being stopped by Webroot? Did Windows 8.1 flag the file in some way? Even though the script showed up as an exception before doing any of this, did this somehow cause Webroot to flag the script in some other way? I, at least, don't know. The good thing is the problem no longer exists!

Baldrick and Corey, thanks for hanging with me on this one! I know from my experience as a Netwire SysOp that it's guys like you who make the whole software process workable for those of us less "in-the-know". I really appreciate your help!

Don
That is odd. I wonder if that affects some way that Webroot detects scripts?

I wish I had a answer for you but I am in the dark on how and why. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
@ 

I had a look at this one, and was able to identify and correct what was causing the AutoIt scripts to be detected in the first place.

After reading through this thread and seeing the solution that ended up working I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling Webroot SecureAnywhere so that you have a fresh install.

-Dan
Badge +1
How can I get WebRoot to recognize AutoIt3.exe? I turned webroot off, re-installed AutoIt and SciTE and was able to run the script. Turn WebRoot back on and it said autoit3.exe was a threat and now the script will not run.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
How can I get WebRoot to recognize AutoIt3.exe? I turned webroot off, re-installed AutoIt and SciTE and was able to run the script. Turn WebRoot back on and it said autoit3.exe was a threat and now the script will not run.
Hello @bmacattack514 and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

The best way is to Submit a Support Ticket and they will sort it out for you.

Thanks,