Windows Defender

Show first post

57 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Bonjour,

I dont thing I can have a refund 😞 for that lot of money. I paid by Credit Card.

And now, what is the best for me?

Thank You very much!
Katana
Hi Katana,

You could always call the credit card in question and tell them that this was a scam and you'd like to see if you can get a refund from this company. And they would let you know if this was possible.
Userlevel 3
Bonjour,

I dont thing I can have a refund 😞 for that lot of money. I paid by Credit Card.

And now, what is the best for me?

Thank You very much!
Katana
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
? You speak french don't you?
Userlevel 3
Bonjour,

I try with Webroot and when I click on Unselecte Defect Potentially Unwanted Application, a message Appear=SecureAnywhere est géré par la console Web. Toutes les notifications doivent être appliquées en un point central. Reportez-vous à la documentation de SecureAnywhere pour plus d'informations.

So, I'm not a technician 😞...I need HELP 😃 I dont want to do something wrong.

Yes, I'm a french speaker and its very hard for me to understand but I try 😛 I will ''engage'' a translator :p

Thank You!
Katana
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Katana

I am so sorry about this! Webroot gives free Webroot Support anytime you need it with a WEbroot susbscription if you are having issues concerning Webroot or even running Windows Defender.

Please read this article here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-fix-malware-corrupted-windows-on-my-pc-what/7c60fbcf-eb25-4716-9471-b36c0ee2750e?auth=1

This sounds surely to be a scam. If there is any way to get yoyur money back if you paid with a credit card I would try to do so.

I would also Submit a Support Ticket and see if your system has not been compromised.
Userlevel 7
Hi Katana

I will let Sherry answer you with regard to WIndows Defender

However, in the case of MySystemFix, what you are looking at is definitively a SCAM which is cause by you having a Potentially Unwanted Applicaiton or PUA on your system. I have done a quick bit of research and this certainly seems to be the case from what I have found out. :(

PUAs are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-ups, redirect your browser home page, and other behaviour that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools. But they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.

The key to avoiding them is to make sure that when downloading apps one does so from the author's own website or one that they have recommended, and not 3rd party downloading site.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behaviour that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

To make sure that your WSA is checking for PUA's with the best proficiently, it sometimes helps to reset the PUA detection within WSA's settings. For PUA's that had previously been scanned and determined to be OK, but have since been added to detection/removal, you may want to complete the following steps:

• Open Webroot SecureAnywhere
  • Click on ‘Advanced Settings’ from the top right
  • Select ‘Scan Settings’ from the left side
  • Unselect the option “Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications”
  • Click on the Save button (you may have to enter in a CAPTCHA)
  • Reselect the option to “Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications”
  • Click on the Save button
  • Run another scan with Webroot and remove any items that get detected.

If that does not helps and you feel or consider yourself technically proficient then you can try these steps to remove it from your system.

And if that does not work or you do not feel technically capable then the best thing to do is to Open a Support Ticket & ask Webroot Support to take a look and remove these for you.  There is NO CHARGE for this for valid WSA license holder.

If there is anything in the above that you need me to go over in more detail then please let me know. If you are a French speaker and need a transaltion for better understand then please let me know and I can certainly try to see what I can do in respect of that. :D

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Bonjour,

First of all, Thank You su much! I dont speak English, so I'll do my best 🙂 I am with 8.1.

Do you know the company My System Fix ? They call me 3 times (since Feb. 14) and every time I pay a lot of money...over $750.00 american money...I'm in Quebec  Canada. I am stupid....I realize now. The last time, he said: You need Windows Defender...Driver updated.

Can I cry?

Thank You!
Katana
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Katana,

Welcome tp the Webroot Community,

May I ask if you are running Windows 8, 8.1 or Windows 10?

Windows  8, & 8.1, and Windows 10,will automatically disable Windows Defender.  It will not allow you to have both enabled at the same time. This is a function of Windows, not Webroot. The same will be true of any AV you install on Windows on these systems.

If you uninstall Webroot (or other AV you have installed) Windows Defender will automatically come back active if it was set for that, OR it will provide you a system notification that action is needed in order to either turn Windows Defender back on or re-enable/re-install your other AV.

In short.. with another AV installed and active, you can't enable Windows Defender, but it will be there if the other AV is turned off or uninstalled.

But if you want to run both there is a workaround here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/How-to-Run-WSA-alongside-Windows-D...

Note:Webroot is not responsible for any registry changes

Also since you have Webroot. Then I feel that's all you need for protection. In my opinion!;)

I hope this helps!