Windows won't let me search for updates because some malware on my computer is preventing it.

• 19 March 2015
  • 2 replies

I'm reluctant to remove my firewall to let Windows install updates, but I assume that I need updates.  How do I tell Webroot to let Microsoft install updates?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello AnnieCOS,

Welcome to the Community Forum,

May I ask what Malware you are seeing?

Because Webroot won't stop your PC from updating or will Webroot's Firewall ..

You can try this Microsoft Fixit to see if it helps? http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/

Please let us know if you need more help or not,

Kind Regards,

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I'm reluctant to remove my firewall to let Windows install updates, but I assume that I need updates.  How do I tell Webroot to let Microsoft install updates?
Hi AnnieCOS

Welcome to the Community Forums.

If I may interject here...I am somewhat confused as  you should not need to remove a Firewall (I am assuming that as a WSA user you have the WIndows Firewall switched on as you should) to allow Windows Updates (especially if it is the Windows Firewall as that has default rules to permit the WIndows Updates...of course)?

So what exactly leads you to believe that you need to tell WSA to allow Windows Updates to occur normally?  Are you receiving a message or a warning to suggest that either you need to do that or that the Windows Updates are not running normally?

Please let us know/provide additional information to give us some context to your issue, so that we are better able to help you out.

Regards, Baldrick