Solved

Won't launch, cant uninstall

• 28 August 2020
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 3

Windows 10. Webroot won't launch. Can't uninstall to reinstall via Control Panel, Settings, or Administrative command line -uninstall switch. Get persistent "you must be logged on as administrator" message. Am logged on as administrator. Same problems in safe mode. Suggestions, please? Thanks

Sent that to customer service 2 days ago, not a peep.  You guys know if there’s anybody awake over there? 

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 1 September 2020, 22:08

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @mjc925 

It’s best to contact Webroot Support via the Ticket system posted above because I have never seen this issue and support would know more about it.

Thanks,

Understanding this is an older posting, I am curious if any resolution was obtained as I have the same issue as of today.  Has worked fine for years.  Today when I click on the program it asks if I want to let this app make changes to my system, I click yes and nothing happens.  I tried to uninstall and says I need Admin rights, well I have those.  Tried all the stuff written above (uninstall in safe mode, command lines etc.) many times.  Tried to reinstall with a new download, that did not work.  Thanks for any insights.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @mbloom 

Yes it’s an issue but it’s best to contact support and they will help you. Submit a Support Ticket to get help.

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue, it should be 24 to 48 hours but could take a little longer because of COVID 19.

Thanks,

I too am having the same issue. -- won’t launch or uninstall. Tried Safe mode (that bitlocker code is a PIA). Even in Safe mode get the dialogue box telling me I need  to be an Administrator.  Following this thread as I hate having something  not working that should. Hoping to fix as I like the product. This was a clean install on a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. On hold  for 30 minutes., but  hoping to see a reply here as I’ve had enough for the day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

@OldFart1 

Submit a Support Ticket to get help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @OldFart1 

Where did you get that phone number? @khumphrey  or @freydrew  do you know this number above?

Here are the Webroot Support Numbers: 1-866-612-4227

And from around the world: https://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/contact

Submit a Support Ticket to get help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 3

I suggest 60's rock as a replacement for your "hold" music.

OK. You wore me down. Just got dropped after 1'03" on hold. Please call me after noon EDT at -SNIP- (PLEASE DO NOT POST PERSONAL INFO ON A PUBLIC FORUM) about issue below.

Windows 10. Webroot won't launch. Can't uninstall to reinstall via Control Panel, Settings, or Administrative command line -uninstall switch. Get persistent "you must be logged on as administrator" message. Am logged on as administrator. Same problems in safe mode. Suggestions, please? Thanks.

Thanks.
Al Thomas

Userlevel 3

Sorry to delay the parade, but I probably won’t get to this until Tuesday, after the holiday.     Thanks.

@OldFart1 any luck with the Revo Uninstaller Pro ? I’m having the same issue.

Userlevel 3

TripleHelix,

Sorry guys.  I was being facetious.  I always like to grab my personal data and put it in another room before playing with unfamiliar software that’s going to be mucking about in the registry.  Murphy’s law:” If it can go wrong, it will”.  I’ll try to be more serious.  And, thanks again for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @OldFart1 

Your going to do a back up of your system? We have the download link!

Please follow the steps below closely in terms of installing WSA on the target system/machine!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you have or add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online during the install to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE). Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Install with the new installer, entering your Keycode when prompted to do so in the install process
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot

In the end you my need to Submit a Support Ticket to get help.

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue, it should be 24 to 48 hours but could take a little longer because of COVID 19.

Thanks,

Userlevel 3

TripleHelix,

Quick note:  Waiting for new backup media to arrive before trying Revo.  ( Murphy was an optimist. :slight_smile: )

Userlevel 3

TripleHelix,

It’s getting a little late for the oldfart earlybird special at the cafeteria tonight so I’ll probably pull down the Revo free tomorrow and give it a whirl.  I’m way too cheap to pay for the Pro version, but I’ll say nice things about them if it works!

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hi @OldFart1 

Have have never run into that issue personally and I use Revo Uninstaller Pro but give the free version a try as that might be the way? Either way let us know.

Thanks,

Userlevel 3

TripleHelix, 

Tried your previous suggestions, command line and GUI methods, Safe with and without networking, checked administrative permissions for profile, still get the “must be logged on as administrator” message.  Strongly suspect the latest infamous Windows Update has something to do with this.  Will wait a couple more days for Webroot support to reach out, run sfc, check some 455 errors, etc. and see where to go from there.  Thanks for your help and  for confirming that there is intelligent life out there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @OldFart1 

A couple of users had the same issue and in the end I told him to contact support so check this to see if it will help you and if not contact support: https://community.webroot.com/community-101-2/help-get-this-program-off-my-machine-344763

Thanks,