Solved

WR Data cleanup

Userlevel 4
Any news on the WSA release that will clran up old dbxxxx.db files.
David

icon

Best answer by shorTcircuiT 11 August 2015, 04:15

View original

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I don't have any updated info but I can check and see what the latest is.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Update: our dev team has it on their roadmap but we don't have an estimated time for when this will be worked on yet.

In the meantime if you do need to clear out those areas you can do it in the following ways:
For consumer: shutdown protection, then delete %programdata%WRDATA and then restart Webroot.
For business: send the agent command Clear Log Files

Hope that helps!
Userlevel 4
Thank you
That sounds too easy :D
I seem to remember some more complicated answers involving raising ticket/scanning etc.
I'm always happy with the easy way though. What happens to any data that is being used by WSA - monitoring or something.
David

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yeah some of this was new info to me. Before I thought the only way to clear them out was an uninstall and reinstall. You learn something new every day 🙂 I think you'll want to make sure that nothing is being actively monitored first, so you won't be removing anything necessary for rollback to work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I wouldn't recommend to delete for non security knowledgeable type of users as WSA could be Monitoring something and you would delete it's rollback option for that monitored process again IMO for experts only.

Thanks,

Daniel

EDIT BY shorTcircuiT: I have marked this as a Solution even though it is not the END solution.  Daniel is very correct that removing anything from the WRData folder should be left to experts only, and generally speaking the folder should NOT be deleted entirely.  Please do not do this unless advised by Support.
Userlevel 7
I believe in doing that solution you will ALSO be losing the data of any previously manually white-listed URL's, as well as the data files for the Web Filter itself which is sometimes needed to manually install or update the Filter in Chrome or other browsers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I believe in doing that solution you will ALSO be losing the data of any previously manually white-listed URL's, as well as the data files for the Web Filter itself which is sometimes needed to manually install or update the Filter in Chrome or other browsers.
I think that's kept in the Registry if I'm not mistaken and the only way to remove the Blocked URL? And Joe told me it's quite hard to break WSA by deleting the files as most of them will be recreated.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
I think that's kept in the Registry if I'm not mistaken and the only way to remove the Blocked URL? And Joe told me it's quite hard to break WSA by deleting the files as most of them will be recreated.

Daniel
The white list is contained in the wrURL folder, Whitelist file.  Simply deleting that file will re-block all sites that had been manually allowed in the past.  The file will automatically recreate itself as a blank file as soon as WSA or the computer is restarted, so it will not cause any program errors regarding a missing file, but the data will be lost.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Daniel
The white list is contained in the wrURL folder, Whitelist file.  Simply deleting that file will re-block all sites that had been manually allowed in the past.  The file will automatically recreate itself as a blank file as soon as WSA or the computer is restarted, so it will not cause any program errors regarding a missing file, but the data will be lost.
Lets Test it.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Daniel
Lets Test it.
As long as it has not been changed in the last 12 months, I have tested it.  A few times :)

Userlevel 7
Typical me.  i FINALLY show my sorry face around here and I cause trouble ROFL

:)
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I wouldn't recommend to delete for non security knowledgeable type of users as WSA could be Monitoring something and you would delete it's rollback option for that monitored process again IMO for experts only.

Thanks,

Daniel
Hi Daniel

I completely agree with you on this particular point.  Far better, if one is technical or has some technical knowledge, to delete specific .db file by date, having first checked all relevant locations within WSA where a file/app could be set to 'Monitor'.  Make sure that there is nothing that looks suspicious that is being monitored (I often find that new versions of some apps are regularly 'monitored' but because I know/trust the app I can switch that off).

I also NEVER delete any .db files that are newer than a couple of weeks old...just in case.

Regards, Baldrick 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Win 10 will not allow you to change or remove a blocked page from the Whitelist. LOL Even with WSA turned off.

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Win 10 will not allow you to change the Whitelist. LOL Even with WSA turned off.

No.. you cannot edit it, but you can delete it.  Just turn off protection, and delete it.  Then.. restart protection and you will see it back, but it will be empty if there had been any previously whitelisted sites :(

Userlevel 7
You MIGHT have to delete it as an Administrator.  My Windows 10 account is an Admin account... I am NOT sure about this.,
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
That's odd...  With Windows 10 I did not have any trouble editing my whitelist and removing an entry.  :S
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Yes, mine is an admin account.  That might be the difference.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Yes, mine is an admin account.  That might be the difference.
Odd... I am logged in on an Admin account and it won't let me save the file LOL.  (yes, I shut down WSA first LOL)
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I did not shut down anything so I am really at a loss on this one.

Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I did a test and allowed a bad page but deleting the Whitelist does nothing you have to remove the blocks in the registry and reboot then the blocked page comes back.

This is a test, members please do not play with the Registry unless you know what you are doing!

Userlevel 7
I am getting a different result.

Going to a known bad page (the same one you used for your test) it is of course blocked.   I manually allow the page.

Now I can navigate to it without a problem.  Once I delete the whitelist file, the page is now blocked again.  I have NOT done any resistry editing.
Userlevel 7
?, what browser were you using for your test?  We had different results.  I was using Chrome.   

EDIT: For the record, the registry entries ARE there, but I have NOT edited them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Sorry for the delay as I got pulled away...

I rebooted and the the entry that I had deleted from the whitelist txt file is still gone.

I checked the registry and the entries for that deletion in the txt file are still in the registry and still allow me to go to the site without prompting me for any additional input.

Dave
Userlevel 7
What browser are you using?

If I delete the entire whitelist file, as soon as I restart WSA or the computer, the file is automatically recreated, but it is blank.  In Chrome, any site that I had manually allowed is now re-blocked without touching the registry, but I have not checked behavior with other browsers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I have only tested with Aviator.  Guess I should try a couple others.