Solved

WSA alonside any other AV ?

• 17 November 2013
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
from my recent experience with WSA I'd tend to rely fully on it thx to its specs, however I'd like to read from experienced users what their position is, WSA devs wolud be appreciated to.
Being a mod in a windows devoted franch forum, I'd like to have some "external" opinion on this to promote thsi soft.
Thx in advance.
icon

Best answer by yeoldfart 17 November 2013, 16:44

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Bonjour Yof ;)

Ca va?

As you can see from my signature line I run both WSA Complete & Kasperskey IS, at the same time, and have done for a very long time, in fact I did this when WSA was still but a twinkle in the eye and we enjoyed Prevx3 (which Webroot bought).

The Prevx philosophy of 'complementing other AV/IS solution or co-existing with them' was adopted by Webroot when Prevx3 became the basis for WSA, and is very much, as afar as I understand it, one of the key principles now and for the future.  In fact WSA will actually defer to the other AV/IS app installed but if that misses something then WSA, if it has detected something, will jump in and provide the protection required.

You can find more information if you follow the link below, and answer 'Yes' to the question posed:

http://www5.nohold.net/Webroot/Loginr.aspx?pid=10&usertext=Compatibility

But suffice to say that IMHO you will not find a more compatible comprehensive security app when it comes to running a layered defence with another comprehensive security app.

Hope that helps? ;)

Regards

Baldrick

So in essence  
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hello and thank you for the informative links provided, it's still pretty hard for me to figure out a doctrine...
I would prefer a yes/no answer such as WSA is strong and reliable enough to be the sole AV but, if you are on the paranoïd side, you can run it to achieve a layered protection alongside most Av's.
Do you agree with this ?
Userlevel 7
Hi Yof

Apologies...the simple answer to both questions/approaches is 'YES'. 

On its own WSA willprovide you with the one of the very best protection out there or else it will work well with most mainstream/popular AV/IS or more specific security apps (I saw a list somewhere of the apps that it is known to sit with well...and most were on the list...I just just cannot find the link anyway.

Hope that clarifies? :D

Regards

Baldrick

Daniel/guys, do any of you have such information to hand? @ @ @ @   

Userlevel 7
Don't worry to be running WSA alone.

I do that with only Vista firewall and I never had any malware issue. :D
Userlevel 7
Hello everyone!

My own choice is to run WSA on its own.  I have done so since January 2012 and I have had no problems at all.  Has WSA found infections to clean?  YES it has: some other members of my family that use the computer have a couple of times hit a bad Facebook link and let the bad in.  WSA took care of it.

Have I checked/verified that WSA is keeping me clean on its own?  YES.  I have occasionally installed other solutions just to test and see if they would find anything that WSA didn't.  So far, nothing.  So you can trust WSA on its own.

Still feel a little uncomfy having all your eggs in one basket?  While I do not do this on a day to day basis, I know quite a number of people who run WSA along with Norton, WSA along with KIS, WSA along with Malwarebytes, etc etc.  WSA works quite well and is happy to co-reside on a computer with another solution.  You will want to install things correctly though.  While WSA is compatible with other solutions, the INSTALLERS of the other solutions often do not realize this.  Install your other solution FIRST, then WSA.

Do not be alarmed if the other solution finds things and WSA doesn't: that is exaclty how it is supposed to work.  WSA can co-reside with the other solutions because it works differently.  In the case of having 2 solutions installed, WSA will remain 'in the back seat', and let the other solution do the majority of the work.  When the other solution misses something, THEN WSA speaks up and takes care of it.

@ , thanks for the mention, did I answer what you were looking for my friend?
Userlevel 7
UPDATE

I found a very informative link.  I hope this helps!
Userlevel 7
Hi David

Thanks for the response.  You did indeed...:D but I was sort of hoping that one of you 4 gurus might have a clue as to where there is a list of of other AV/IS apps that WSA co-exists well with...I am sure I have seen one somewhere but cannot for the life of me remember where...senior moment most like (and they are becoming more frequent...;)).

Regards, and respect

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi David

Thanks for the response.  You did indeed...:D but I was sort of hoping that one of you 4 gurus might have a clue as to where there is a list of of other AV/IS apps that WSA co-exists well with...I am sure I have seen one somewhere but cannot for the life of me remember where...senior moment most like (and they are becoming more frequent...;)).

Regards, and respect

Baldrick
'Senior moments' have become a daily occurrance for me, and I DONT mean by my title here!  If I dont write it down I forget it.  :)
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
... there is a list of of other AV/IS apps that WSA co-exists well with
______________________________________________________________________________________________

As far as I am aware such list doesn't exist and honestly it isn't needed at all.

WSA is coded in a way to co-exist with ALL other security solutions. Anyway if any issue occures whitelisting WSA as per article David linked to is a troubleshooter.
Userlevel 7
Hi pegas

Thanks...understand what you are saying...it is just that for some of the more novice users it is more believeable if it is wriiten down, especially as there are those for whom the mantra is NEVER run more than one AV/IS app at a time...not the case with WSA...hope you can see where I was coming from 😉.

Hi David

The thought of you being titularly challanged 😉 never, ever crossed my mind.  I too have to write most things down...or put them into the calendar/notes on my smartphone...so I do not forget.

Regards to you both

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hello yeoldfarts,
Hi Guys,

Since some time I've been using only WSA and I must admit I feel safe enough

@ wrote:
Don't worry to be running WSA alone.
I fully agree with your words pegas:D
So far Webroot has never let me down and probably that's why I just see no reasons for adding any other security solutions. In the past I have used a variety of security solutions (Avast, Bitdefender, G Data, Eset, Emsisoft, Malwarebytes, McAfee, Kaspersky, MSE, Norton, Panda) and in my opinion in many aspects WSA is simply the best

Regards,

Mike
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
I'm not trolling 😉 but even though WSA is accepted alongside by most of AV's and security suites (which I can confirm) it is useless as WSA is so well designed it is sufficient by itself, most lambda users are fooled by software editors who sell them bloated crap with plenty of useless eyes candy options and contraptions ! I beta tested from A to Z some of them, can't tell more because of nda, and this is what I stated.
Hope this helps 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
ran it this morning with Avast IS 2014: both never complained :))
just useless WSA rules by itself.
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
some people need both belt and suspenders :)) they're welcome too
ok I leave