Solved

WSA AV + DefenseWall Firewall = plays smooth?

Userlevel 7
Hi, If I use WSA AV and DW FW together will there be any conflicts? Will they run together smoothly? Will WSA work properly in browsers sandboxed as untrusted app by DW FW? Best Wishes, Amit
icon

Best answer by pegas 10 April 2013, 16:23

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello Amit and welcome to the Webroot Community! Nice to see another Wilders poster (actually Massive) here on Community ;)

Good question but I think that nothing has changed since your query on Wilders last November ... so they should coexist nicely, just to make sure to exclude WSA. I cannot speak more because I don't use DW but maybe other community members shed more light.

Glad we have you here 😃
Userlevel 7
Amit, as for the sandboxed environment and WSA, you may have a look in this thread even if it's primarily related to Sandboxie.
Userlevel 7
Hello ams963, and welcome to the Community!

Hopefully, I will be corrected by the more knowledgeable members here if I am wrong:  WSA should be compatible with your other software.  If you notice problems, please Submit a Trouble Ticket.

As for will WSA run in the Sandboxed environment, I belive the answer to that is no.  When Sandboxed, applications are supposed to be isolated from the other processes of your computer, and I believe that includes WSA itself.
Userlevel 7
Thanks a lot DavidP. WSA does not offer its web protection properly in browsers sandboxed by sandboxie. I was wondering if it would work in browsers sandboxed by DW FW as clearly DW sandbox mechanism is different.
Userlevel 7
@pegas Ha ha.....thank you for the warm welcome. Well new versions of both WSA and DW has been released since November you see. Also even if they do not conflict after excluding WSA, I seriously doubt WSA's web protection would work in a browser sandboxed by DW FW. I'm not sure if I would wanna use a crippled WSA(without it's important web protection) with DW FW.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Welcome Amit to the Webroot Community Forums. ;)

As pegas said nothing has changed but you can test the pair and if there are any issues just post them here.

TH
Userlevel 7
@TripleHelix Thanks for the welcome, Daniel.:) But what about WSA's web protection in a browser sandboxed by DW FW? Best Wishes, Amit
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@ Thanks for the welcome, Daniel.:) But what about WSA's web protection in a browser sandboxed by DW FW? Best Wishes, Amit
Give it a try and do some tests and let us know because I don't use DW either. But it will give other members info if they want to use the Combo.

TH
Userlevel 7
Hello Amit, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. 😃
Userlevel 7
@TH
Yeah I guess I have to rely on posts in that topic in Wilders Forum last November.

I'll take an image and install wsa to see if the combo really works. Thank TH for the courage.:manvery-happy:
Userlevel 7
@ProTruckDriver

Hey buddy, thanks a lot for welcoming. I see a lot of my friends are here. I guess I have come here more often.;)
Userlevel 7
@Amit wrote:
I guess I have come here more often.;)
I hope so, you're great asset to our community!
Userlevel 7
@pegas
Oh now stop it!:$
Userlevel 7
Okay I'm using the combo now. I've observed that web threat shield does not work in Firefox sandboxed by DW, just as I suspected. I've tested this by first installing WSA in my pc without DW or any other security app. Then went to some sites like TechSpot and Brothersoft. WSA blocked those sites. Then keeping exactly the same settings of WSA I installed DW and tried to visit those sites. They are not blocked anymore. This is a situation where a user must choose the configuration. This combo will get strong protection of DW in a browser but hinder WSA from offering its web protection. Hmm..........?!
Userlevel 7
@pegas Yeah I understand. I was just hoping to see different results because DW's sandbox is supposed to work differently than Sbie.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@Amit wrote:
@
Yeah I guess I have to rely on posts in that topic in Wilders Forum last November.

I'll take an image and install wsa to see if the combo really works. Thank TH for the courage.:manvery-happy:
No problem buddy we are here to help and I'm glad you're here! ;)

Daniel
Userlevel 7
You're good people.