WSA Mac OSX - hide the main application at startup

• 13 September 2016
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 3
Running Webroot Secure Anywhere on my MacBook with OSX El Capitan 10.11.6.
All is running fine but at start up/login WSA is automatically started, which of course is needed, but it's running in my dock and menu bar.
The main application is not hided from my dock. So it remains open and I have to hide the application (and leave it running in the menu bar) manually.

In my settings - (greater than) users/groups -- (greater than) login items there is not WSA and I can not start WSA is "hidden mode".

Can you please help me out here?

This topic has been closed for comments

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Kroon,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

I have been using Webroot for almost 4 years and I have always had Webroot startup with my Mac in the menu bar. But if you go to your settings/users/groups and add application where the plus sign is? I have not tried hiding Webroot from the startup. So I am not sure how that woud work out? I will go ahead and try this and let you know how it goes.

?

I am not sure why Webroot shows in the Dock.when starting up. So you can always Submit a Support Ticket and have them check this out for you. This is a free service with a Webroot subscription.

Hope this helps?
Userlevel 3
Hi Sherry,

Thanks for your prompt answer.
Starting up in the menu bar is ok for me. But starting up in the dock as well is double the "fun", if your get what I mean. ;)
Already tried adding the WSA in the login items and tick the box for hiding. Does not work...

I have created a support ticket for this issue as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Kroon,

I was wondering if a uninstall/iinstall would work for this issue. I've had that popping up on the Dock as well and that's been awhile siince that has happened to me. If you'd like to try and reinstall I coukd give you instructions how to do so. I also think you cannot hide the startup of Webroot as you have mentioned. This is by design I believe.

And you are most welcome! Here is the Mac User Guide if you need it..

Also if you woudn't miind letting us know what Webroot Support saids..this would be valuable information for others with like circumstances.

Thanks!
Userlevel 3
Uninstall and re-install does not work. :@
Already tried that...

When support replies I will let you know!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Sorry about that! I will be looking forward to your response from Webroot Support.

Thanks!
Userlevel 3
Do you know what the normal response time is for submitted tickets?
It's been 48 hours as we speak and did not hear from them at all...
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Kroon,

Sorry it is taking abit longer then usual. But Support will answer your ticket as soon as they can. Otherwise I'll ping ? and see if he can look into this for you? Edited: Or perhaps ??

Userlevel 3
Cheers and thanks for that.
Userlevel 3
72 hours and counting...
Still no reply from support.

So far not really impressed by Webroot...
Userlevel 3
Just got a reply on my ticket. They asked me to give the support desk a call. I just rang them and got a NOT so satisfying answer.

After testing a few things, which didn't work, the answer was: sorry sir it is by design, this is the way Mac OS works. We cannot do anything about it at this time I will pass your request to development.

I do not agree with this answer at all. I have tried other scanners (Eset nod32, Sophos Home) and they all work as supposed: application in the menu bar but NOT in the dock (hidden).
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Kroon,

Again I am sorry this didn't satisfy your issue. When i startup my Mac, Webroot always starts in the menu bar and Webroot starts in the dock for a split second and then disappears without doing anything manually. So I am not sure what is happening in your system. If you are not satisfied with Support then contact them again. You should not have to manually shut down Webroot that I know of? ? are you having this happen? Where Webroot stays in the Dock?

Userlevel 7
Hello Kroon, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. :D

Webroot stays in the Dock for me also. Let me try to Hide and Power off and then back on. I'll be back with the results. 😉
Userlevel 3
Thanks all for the replies.
What you are describing Sherry, should be the default behaviour I guess. Opens in the dock and than auto hide.
That is just not the case on my machine. It stays open and only closes when I open it and press the red cross.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Kroon,

Well I am running Webroot Beta and I am not sure if Webroot has changed this behavior or not. That's why I asked ProTruckDriver who also has a Mac running El Capitan. I have had Webroot in the Dock before and it wouldn't go away. But it's been a long time since that has happened. I am always uninstalling/reinstalling with the Beta. So like I mentioned please ask Support again and talk to them once more?

btw ProTruckDriver: Has mentioned that his also stays in the Dock.

Wish I could be of more help...:(
Userlevel 7
This is weird. I hide WSA in the Dock. And Power Down.

?

Power Up WSA appears again. I waited a few minutes it did not disappear.

Open WSA's GUI:

Icon still in Doc.
CLOSE GUI: WSA icon disappears from dock.

@ if you like to put a FEATURE REQUEST in on this, I would be glad to Kudo it. 😉
Userlevel 3
Yep, same issue here ProTruckDriver.
I will put in a feature request and let you know!
Userlevel 3
Feature request has been made, see here:
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Close-hide-dock-application-on-Mac/idi-p/267808