WSA vs WOT

• 9 March 2014
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
I had WOT installed a few moths before using WSA but have noticed over the last couple of days the stark contrast between rankings.

Many sites that WSA considers ok, (green tick) are the complete opposite for WOT in that they have a red dot signifying a BAD experience, my question is that "How can they be so different?" yet expect us to trust their competence. Are they signifying a completely different aspect of a site?

There are a large number of 'scraper' sites out there lately just ripping info from other sites, and I personally consider these to be a waste of time as they usually proliferate the page with dodgy ads and you have to study the page carefully to get your info, picking out what is info and what is another link for an ad/malware/etc. The sooner these can be dynamically  highlighted the better the internet will be for all of us.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi GettinBetter

You make a good point...and I think that the answer lies in how the rankings are compiled by each of the reputation providing sites/companies.

I think that if that is transparent, i.e, such organisations cleverly explain how they arrive at the rankings, etc. then I think that one can form a proper judgement.

Personally I do not rate or trust ranks predominatly based on user input, as it is too easy to compromise.  But that is not to say that the likes of Webroot, which seems to have quite a sophistcated approach to ranking, will always get it right and others won't.

And also one must not completely abdicate the use of the Mark 1 Eyeball & Brain combination...IMHO.

Regards

Baldrick

PS: I used to use WOT but found it a bit inconsistent when compared to the Mark 1 Eyeball & Brain combination at times, and then when WSA came along I ditched it permanently...but that is just little me. ;)
Userlevel 1
lol, yeah...

@ wrote:

.......And also one must not completely abdicate the use of the Mark 1 Eyeball & Brain combination...IMHO.....

Well, IMHO there are a lot of peeps out there that can't do that 😃 But they do know if they enjoyed the experience of visiting a particular page.  I find that WOT's  limited input phrasing, cuts it for me at the moment. I like to keep an open mind, and these things can be fairly dynamic, in that one monthone app is great then a couple of months later it can slide as other apps/op systems/etc change.
Userlevel 7
Hi GettinBetter

You make a fair point...and to be honest if 'peeps' applied the same common sense to their online habits as that they would apply if they had the option of taking a shortcut down a dark alley on their own, late at night, in a dodgy neighbourhood...and many would find another way to go, even if longer but safer...then I think that there would less people falling foul of site of ill repute.

Unfortunately, because they surf in the comfort of their own homes or other familiar places they are all to divorced from the  reality of it all.

But to get back to you point...I am not saying WOT is bad or wrong, just has a different view of some sites reputation when compared to other reputation sites.  Who is correct or more right...I do not begin to suggest that I know, but like you I know what I like.

But it is still a good discussion point...so thanks for raising it. :D

Regards

Baldrick