Solved

WSA (Webroot Secure Anywhere) kills defender.exe

Show first post

44 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
What other security software you are using with WSA & SD? As I had no problems with my Win 7 32bit and it's continues to work fine and I'm using SD v1.2.0.376.

Daniel
Userlevel 4
None, WSA, and SD are the only security applications installed on this PC. I don't even have any on-demand applications installed.  This machine is Vista 32 bit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@cuttingedgetech wrote:
None, WSA, and SD are the only security applications installed on this PC. I don't even have any on-demand applications installed.  This machine is Vista 32 bit.
Strange. Did you Submit a Support Ticket as David had suggested earlier? It could be something specific to Vista?

Daniel
Userlevel 4
Yeah, I sumitted a support ticket. I offered remote access to the machine. I'm waiting for them to get back in touch with me since their first suggestion did not resolve the issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@cuttingedgetech wrote:
Yeah, I sumitted a support ticket. I offered remote access to the machine. I'm waiting for them to get back in touch with me since their first suggestion did not resolve the issue.
Great to hear please let us know the outcome! ;)

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 4
I just notified Tony at bugs@shadowdefender.com  I don't know if there is anything he can do to prevent this, but if it's a bug with SD then i'm sure he could fix it.  I was thinking maybe there is a conflict with WSA, and Defender.exe.  Maybe he could even add some self protection for Shadow Defender's processes.
Userlevel 4
DavidP's suggestion of uninstalling Webroot, and installing it after Shadow Defender has been installed could possible work since Defender.exe does not show up in Webroot's process manager on this machine. I would have already set an exception for Defender.exe if it would appear in WSA's process manager. I'll give that a try, and report back.  Thanks for all feedback!
Userlevel 4
Btw.. could someone PM me a link to WSA's latest installer? Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Jim beat me to it.

Psssst. Anytime you want the current installer, just look below at my signature area. 🙂
Userlevel 4
Thanks guys! I will try that as soon as I can pry my niece off the computer,
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Great to hear! ;)

Daniel
Userlevel 4
Now if they will play nice with one another, and not cause any BSOD's then I should be good. I have installed WSA on 8 of my own machines, and several friends & family members as well in the past.  I didn't have any problems with BSOD's on the machines I built myself, but have had multiple problems with BSOD's on Sony & HP machines. I don't know about other brands of desktops, and Laptops since I haven't used Dell, Gateway, Acer, or any of the others. I have worked on a few though in the past.  I just have not had any luck with machines I haven't built myself. I build high quality machines though lol  I'm not so sure about Sony, and HP anymore.  Tony was able to come up with a fix for the BSOD I experienced on my Sony Laptop, but after running WSA for a while my Laptop would not boot anymore. It would always freeze just after entering my sign in credentials for Windows. I'm not sure what the conflict was, but i'm happy with my Laptop setup presently so that is no longer an issue. I was curious about other users in the community here. Are you guys, and gals running WSA with SD successfully on Sony or HP machines? If so what OS are you using? I have a Sony Laptop, and it has gave me fits ever since WSA was released. I have 8 desktops that I have built myself which never gave me any problems when running WSA, and SD together. I have not had any luck though with Sony, and HP.
Userlevel 7
The problem with the Sony and HP computers but no problem on your own is probably generally simple to explain and probably not too hard to fix: the manufacturer pre-installed software may simply need some files whitelisted.
Userlevel 7
I am guessing Roy' work whitelisting was at the very least equally part of it.
Userlevel 7
Regardless of just what all it took to fix, I hope all is well now!
Userlevel 4
My niece, and newphew manage to destroy this HP Desktop within 1 month every time. They download all these silly games that are full of bloatware / junkware, trojans, etc.. I wish Webroot would detect them all as malicious, and block them ! This HP Desktop is only a 1.6 ghz Dual Core. My father, and mother always want me to come fix it. I always find some form of a virus on it. They will have like 15 internet games installed on it. They install untill it want work anymore. That's why I have to run SD in Shadow Mode on this machine, and password protect it.
Userlevel 7
@cuttingedgetech wrote:
My niece, and newphew manage to destroy this HP Desktop within 1 month every time. They download all these silly games that are full of bloatware / junkware, trojans, etc.. I wish Webroot would detect them all as malicious, and block them ! This HP Desktop is only a 1.6 ghz Dual Core. My father, and mother always want me to come fix it. I always find some form of a virus on it. They will have like 15 internet games installed on it. They install untill it want work anymore. That's why I have to run SD in Shadow Mode on this machine, and password protect it.
Yes, the games, bloatware, toolbars, etc that don't actually have any true malware are referred to as PUA's.  Potentially Unwanted Applications.  Here is a KB article regarding these.  Webroot does not generally detect or remove them as they are not actually malware.
Userlevel 4
That's good news! I'm almost tempted to try to reinstall them together on my Laptop lol I think I will play it safe though. I have too much work to do on my Laptop right now.
Userlevel 4
Yeah, that's what my friend was telling me. He said it can be a major pain building Laptops. He use to run a business that specialized in Laptops. That's why I have stuck with just building Desktops so far.  The last three Desktops I built would have cost me over $5,000 each to buy from someone like Alienware preassembled. It cost me $1,800 each to build.