Solved

WSA (Webroot Secure Anywhere) kills defender.exe

Userlevel 4
I have made this same post over at Shadow Defender's Official forum.  Please fix!

Today I installed Shadow Defender version 1.2.0.376 on my father's computer.  He has Windows Vista 32 bit on his PC.   I then tried to access SD's UI by double clicking on the tray icon.  I discovered that each time I double clicked on SD's tray icon that the UI would briefly appear, and close on its own just as soon as it appeared.  I tried disabling UAC first, and found that this did nothing to resolve the issue. I tried to access it from Windows start menu, and the UI would still close as soon as it appeared.  Next I shut down WSA (Webroot Secure Anywhere), and then opened Shadow Defender's UI by double clicking the tray icon.  The UI stayed opened as expected, and no longer closed.  I opened SD's UI multiple times while WSA was shut down, and had no further issue with SD's UI closing.  I then opened Window's task manager to see that DefenderDaemon.exe was running in the background.  I then enabled WSA, and  DefenderDaemon.exe continued to run with no visible problems. I then double clicked SD's tray icon, and saw that Defender.exe loaded very briefly before being killed by WSA.

I accessed process management from within WSA where it gives an option to Allow, Monitor, Block a process, but Defender.exe was not listed in the list. Only DefenderDaemon.exe was listed so I don't see how to whitelist or set an exception for Defender.exe.  WSA is also blocking Shadow Defender's Website, and classifying it as malware. I'm going to post this over at Webroots forum so they can hopefully fix this issue. They should be able to make a quick fix for this. Is anyone else running the two together right now, and what OS are your running? Have you noticed any issues when running the two together? I hope my post doesn't sound too confusing! Sorry, I have a headache tonight, and am struggling a bit. If anything I have said is a bit confusing then let me know, and I will try to explain it better. Btw.. I'm looking forward to seeing what Tony's been working on!

Here is the link for the post over at Shadow Defender's forum http://shadowdefenderforum.com/index.php?topic=42.msg283#msg283
icon

Best answer by cutting_edgetech 8 June 2013, 00:29

View original

44 replies

Userlevel 4
Uninstalling WSA, and reinstalling it with Shadow Defender already installed on the PC fixed the problem. I guess it's was a bug.  Thanks Guys! I will update my support ticket now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Great to hear! ;)

Daniel
Userlevel 4
Now if they will play nice with one another, and not cause any BSOD's then I should be good. I have installed WSA on 8 of my own machines, and several friends & family members as well in the past.  I didn't have any problems with BSOD's on the machines I built myself, but have had multiple problems with BSOD's on Sony & HP machines. I don't know about other brands of desktops, and Laptops since I haven't used Dell, Gateway, Acer, or any of the others. I have worked on a few though in the past.  I just have not had any luck with machines I haven't built myself. I build high quality machines though lol  I'm not so sure about Sony, and HP anymore.  Tony was able to come up with a fix for the BSOD I experienced on my Sony Laptop, but after running WSA for a while my Laptop would not boot anymore. It would always freeze just after entering my sign in credentials for Windows. I'm not sure what the conflict was, but i'm happy with my Laptop setup presently so that is no longer an issue. I was curious about other users in the community here. Are you guys, and gals running WSA with SD successfully on Sony or HP machines? If so what OS are you using? I have a Sony Laptop, and it has gave me fits ever since WSA was released. I have 8 desktops that I have built myself which never gave me any problems when running WSA, and SD together. I have not had any luck though with Sony, and HP.
Userlevel 7
The problem with the Sony and HP computers but no problem on your own is probably generally simple to explain and probably not too hard to fix: the manufacturer pre-installed software may simply need some files whitelisted.
Userlevel 7
Or again, it might be installing Shadow Defender first and Webroot second. I know using other AV software and Webroot together can be done but it works better if Webroot is installed second in my experience.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Both of mine are Dell and when I get them I do a complete reinstall of the OS and download all the drivers needed as they add so much crap but that's great David 😉 got you on the right path!

Daniel
Userlevel 7
I am guessing Roy' work whitelisting was at the very least equally part of it.
Userlevel 4
I wish that was the case, but I had support ticket for my Sony Laptop. Support tried everything they knew to do and they could not come up with a solution. They even had remote access to my Laptop several times. They said Tony would have to be the one to fix it. Tony came up with a fix after he returned after being away for some time. He fixed the BSOD, but I was not able to run WSA on my Laptop long before it would no longer boot.

I sent several bug reports for one of the HP Desktop, and I discovered on my own that there was a conflict with WSA, and SD. They were unable to discover the problem with the dumps I  sent.  I don't believe Webroot had acquired Prevx yet. After webroot took over I tried installing WSA on that machine with SD installed.  They were fine running solo, but as soon as they were both installed together the machine became unusable due to so many BSOD's. I continued installing WSA on that machine probably every 3 months with the same result. The machine was unusable from so many BSOD's. I don't know what change Tony made with SD, but that fixed the problem for that particular machine. I had tried almost all other AV's during that time with SD, and had not problems running them with SD. I only had problems with Prevx / and then WSA.  I had the same result with two other HP desktops, and I didn't report those since I did not think the problem could be fixed.
Userlevel 7
Regardless of just what all it took to fix, I hope all is well now!
Userlevel 4
Yes, it seems best to install WSA last. That resolved the issue for this thread anyway 🙂
Userlevel 4
My niece, and newphew manage to destroy this HP Desktop within 1 month every time. They download all these silly games that are full of bloatware / junkware, trojans, etc.. I wish Webroot would detect them all as malicious, and block them ! This HP Desktop is only a 1.6 ghz Dual Core. My father, and mother always want me to come fix it. I always find some form of a virus on it. They will have like 15 internet games installed on it. They install untill it want work anymore. That's why I have to run SD in Shadow Mode on this machine, and password protect it.
Userlevel 7
@cuttingedgetech wrote:
My niece, and newphew manage to destroy this HP Desktop within 1 month every time. They download all these silly games that are full of bloatware / junkware, trojans, etc.. I wish Webroot would detect them all as malicious, and block them ! This HP Desktop is only a 1.6 ghz Dual Core. My father, and mother always want me to come fix it. I always find some form of a virus on it. They will have like 15 internet games installed on it. They install untill it want work anymore. That's why I have to run SD in Shadow Mode on this machine, and password protect it.
Yes, the games, bloatware, toolbars, etc that don't actually have any true malware are referred to as PUA's.  Potentially Unwanted Applications.  Here is a KB article regarding these.  Webroot does not generally detect or remove them as they are not actually malware.
Userlevel 4
TH, that's why I don't buy Desktops anymore. They come with so much garbage preinstalled on them that they are not worth the trouble. I think I will start doing the same with Laptops. This Sony Laptop came with so much crap installed on it that I had multiple issues with it for months. I also found several applications that I consider Sypware. These applications were phoning home to Sony with loads of data about my usage.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yea I don't use Desktops anymore for the last 7 years and always to much crap on Laptop's so a clean OS reinstall does the trick! ;)

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Best thing to do with a new Desktop is make sure you have a full Windows isntall CD.  Get the computer home, put the recovery CD (If it came with one) up where you can't find it, format C and install everything  yourself.    :)
Userlevel 4
Best thing to do is build your own. I have 8 Desktops, but I build my own. I was saying I should start building my Laptops as well.
Userlevel 7
Building laptops is messy at least it used to be when I did it years ago, maybe it has changed now. BTW I figured out the issue with WSA and defender.exe it shouldnt ever happen again.
Userlevel 4
That's good news! I'm almost tempted to try to reinstall them together on my Laptop lol I think I will play it safe though. I have too much work to do on my Laptop right now.
Userlevel 4
Yeah, that's what my friend was telling me. He said it can be a major pain building Laptops. He use to run a business that specialized in Laptops. That's why I have stuck with just building Desktops so far.  The last three Desktops I built would have cost me over $5,000 each to buy from someone like Alienware preassembled. It cost me $1,800 each to build.