Solved

WSA+Win 7 FW or WSA+third party FW?

Userlevel 7
Hi,

Is WSA + Win 7 FW better or WSA + third party FW? I'm currently using Privatefirewall from privacyware with WSA.

Best Wishes,
Amit
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 28 June 2013, 17:47

View original

35 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
We gave you lot's of advice in there original thread so it's up to you yes you can but do you want to? Do you have a Router? If you do that's 2 great layers IMHO.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Yeah but not whether WSA with Win FW is gonna be enough or WSA with a third party FW like OA or Privatefirewall is gonna be better. I don't need that much protection. I do need protection for when I'm on public Wifi.

I don't have a router. I'm thinking of getting one. But that'll take some months.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@Amit wrote:
Yeah but not whether WSA with Win FW is gonna be enough or WSA with a third party FW like OA or Privatefirewall is gonna be better. I don't need that much protection. I do need protection for when I'm on public Wifi.

I don't have a router. I'm thinking of getting one. But that'll take some months.
In public you should be using a VPN service Free or Paid! Windows firewall is great and you said PF is working great and WSA has outbound Firewall I don't know what else to say it's up to you?

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
In public you should be using a VPN service Free or Paid!

Daniel ;)
Which ones are recommended?
Userlevel 7
Amit, Best Buy used to bundle Webroot with Hotspot Shield, but I don't have any personal experience with it myself.  Anyone else perhaps?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Amit, Best Buy used to bundle Webroot with Hotspot Shield, but I don't have any personal experience with it myself.  Anyone else perhaps?
I am not familiar with the Hotspot Shield.  I do know that Best Buy also used to bundle Webroot with Trend Micro.  The Webroot product was the Spy Sweeper and handled non AV malware while the Trend Micro handled the AV side of things.  That was a very popular bundle at the time and if I recall was sold roughly from 2008 to 2010.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi Jim,

Amit and I were discussing via PM and that was one of them I suggested for him to use but not sure which one's he tried?

Daniel
Userlevel 5
I've worked with numerous 3rd party firewalls over the years, my choice would be Comodo Firewall. Comodo has a suite with their antivirus but you can disable their antivirus and use the firewall only.
Userlevel 2
@ wrote:
When I click the link to download hotspot shield I get this from WSA in Firefox:

No  problems with IE though,  why is WSA alerting in Firefox but not IE?

Just to make sure things are clear, I don't see the WSA alert when I click Jim's link, I only see it when I click the download link on the website, and only in Firefox.
Userlevel 7
AnorexicHippo, 

That is unusual isn't it?  I am not really sure, but it might be a False Positive situation somehow.  Either way, you might want to submit a Trouble Ticket  regarding that so that they can take a closer look at what is causing that.
Userlevel 5
Amit:
Here is a link for a free vpn service. You may want to try
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/okayfreedom.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@AnorexicHippo wrote:
@ wrote:
When I click the link to download hotspot shield I get this from WSA in Firefox:

Just to make sure things are clear, I don't see the WSA alert when I click Jim's link, I only see it when I click the download link on the website, and only in Firefox.
I checked it a when you Download you are redirected to CNET Download.com the thing that I have been seeing on many other security forums that Download.com has been adding PUA's to software being downloaded from there which is very sad and even other security software so I don't download anything from Download.com anymore.

HTH,

TH
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I checked it a when you Download you are redirected to CNET Download.com the thing that I have been seeing on many other security forums that Download.com has been adding PUA's to software being downloaded from there which is very sad and even other security software so I don't download anything from Download.com anymore.

HTH,

TH
I am the same.  You can download the software directly from the maker.  While CNET has always been a convenient place to find the software you want, and have reviews, I only use it now to check reviews/complaints, etc.  I do my actual download direct from the software manufacturer just for the PUA issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@AnorexicHippo wrote:
@ wrote:

Yes this a known issue with the Web Threat Shield and they will be redesigning the Web Threat Shield in the 2014 products to give us a better experience. Also here is some added info from JimM: http://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Warning-of-malicious-content-just-for-one-moment/m-p/46160#M2160

HTH,

TH
Userlevel 7
Daniel, 

Thanks!  I had missed Jim's comment on this... and it makes perfect sense.  
Userlevel 7
Thanks @JimM and @tsr for the VPN suggestions.

@TripleHelix
I've tried some VPN services. And I've settled on SecurityKiss. It's great. It requires no Registration, usernames or Passwords. Free users get limited 300MB/day and speed limit(in my experience) about 12Mbit/s. The free package also comes with unlimited switching between servers, exclusive tunneling, octopus tunneling. The paid packages of course offers unlimited speed,(uncapped speed - 100 Mbit/s), unlimited data, even a dedicated IP address. Overall I think I'm satisfied with it. And the names of the packages are very interesting. The free plan is named Green, economy plan is OLIVINE, etc. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Great to hear! ;)

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Yeah I've also settled on WSA+Win7 FW combo. I don't need third party FW. I'm getting some hold on Win7. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Good then your set to go at upgrade time! :D

Daniel
Userlevel 5
Good choice on your combo. I am using W7 firewall along with WSA best combo by far:D
Userlevel 7
@ Yup I'm ready for it.;)

@ Thanks Tony. I'm more confident now that you're also using the combo.:)
Userlevel 2
@DavidP wrote:
@ wrote:

HTH,

TH
I am the same.  You can download the software directly from the maker.  While CNET has always been a convenient place to find the software you want, and have reviews, I only use it now to check reviews/complaints, etc.  I do my actual download direct from the software manufacturer just for the PUA issue.
I was downloading directly from the maker, I never went to cnet, note that the website referenced in the WSA warning is mydati.com, I never went there either.  When I closed Firefox and downloaded the software in IE10 everything proceeded normally, no redirects and no warnings from WSA.. So my original question remains, why is WSA alerting in Firefox but not IE?
Userlevel 7
@AnorexicHippo wrote:
@DavidP wrote:
@ wrote:

HTH,

TH
I was downloading directly from the maker, I never went to cnet, note that the website referenced in the WSA warning is mydati.com, I never went there either.  When I closed Firefox and downloaded the software in IE10 everything proceeded normally, no redirects and no warnings from WSA.. So my original question remains, why is WSA alerting in Firefox but not IE?
I would guess that an ad that the manufacturer site had was flagged by Webroot.  When loading in IE, a different ad was showing which was not flagged.

My best guess on it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I'm getting very strange results with HotspotShield.com so I would stay away until a Threat Researcher looks at it. :@

Daniel

Blocked website: hxxp://download.cnet.com/hotspot-shield/?part=dl-6287710&subj=dl&tag=button

Blocked website: Blocked website: hxxp://anchorfree.com/news.php

I replaced HTTP with HXXP to delink.

Userlevel 7
Daniel, 

Is that starting a download from the Hotspot's own website?