Solved

XP Pro: "Webroot SecureAnywhere has encountered a problem and needs to close.........."

• 11 November 2013
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
  • New Voice
  • 10 replies
My XP Pro computer continuously sends me the message above and the dialogue invites me to send an error report to Microsoft which I have done many times. I suspect some kind of damage to the program itself or to its data file or some unknown system problem. I have run Memtest86+ RAM tests and CHKDSK scans which found no problems with the hardware. 

I have tried to uninstall web root and am unable to do so. It insists that I login as Administrator, which I do and it does not recognize that Administrator is the user logged in. I had hoped to uninstall and reinstall web root with the hope that this might fix it. I also cannot reinstall from the wsainstall application. When I double-click on it in Explorer, nothing happens.  As far as I know, I have the latest version that autoupdates 

The web root icon does not appear in the system tray so I am unable to right-click on it to turn it off. 

Does snyone have any suggestions on what to try next?

Why am I told that to remove the program I must log in as administrator, even when I have logged in as administrator?

A knowledge Base article describes some tools that remove older pieces of Webroot software.  Should I try those tools or is there similar software for later versions?

icon

Best answer by wgr 14 November 2013, 04:27

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello wgr and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

Can you please Submit a Support Ticket and they will be happy to help you get this sorted.

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Thank you for the Welcome, Daniel.

I've already sent in a support request with the information I've included here and am waiting for a response.  I thought I'd try the community to see if anyone here had a similar problem and how they fixed it.

Since then, I stumbled upon the error signature which tells me I'm running WRSA, version 8.0.4.24 and that the problem module  is wrPreshPhish.dll, (that's a catchy name) version 1.0.2.0 at offset 0001df37.  I'm pretty sure the problem is caused by a corrupted module and that a reinstall would fix it.  Maybe a fresh copy of this module is all I need (and knowing where and how to save it). But Webroot won't let me uninstal/reinstal in its current state.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It's best with the support inbox as they can do diagnostics with you and gather info that we can't do on the forum so your in great hands.

Cheers,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Just to add have a look at the Command Uninstall in this KB Article: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/PC-Uninstallation-Option-Missing-from-Control-Panel-and-Start/ta-p/34688#.UoGPweLZGAo

HTH,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Thank you once again, Daniel.  That was a promising link and I went directly to Option 2, since I am unable to bring up Webroot' s console.

Trying Option 2, I was thwarted once again as Webroot came back with:

"It is necessary to log in as administrator to access this feature."  

My user account DOES have administrator privileges.  I also logged in as "Administrator" and tried again with the same result.  To login as "Administrator", I had to reboot and come up in Safe Mode as I don't know how to find the "Administrator" userid in Windows XP Pro.  Apparently, the only time the Administrator account is visible is on the Welcome screen when no other user accounts exist or when you start in Safe Mode.  I am learning a lot about XP Pro but am none the wiser.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Try it again in Safe Mode with Networking and let us know if that uninstalls it, also you can try to install it over top and reboot and try to uninstall if it shows in Add/Remove programs or go to step 2.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The last step is to detete all these folders and files and drivers then install again please see here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Installation-Folder-and-File-Locations/ta-p/3766#.UoGumeLZGAo

Daniel
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Safe Mode with Networking gives the same response as vanilla Safe Mode - I'm told  by Webroot SecureAnywhere that "It is necessary to log in as administrator to use this feature."   Even though have logged in as administrator.

It's getting late here and will try the file deletions tomorrow.

Thanks, again, Daniel.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
By the time we talk again support would by now have contacted you so I would wait to hear from them and they will get you sorted.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ Are there any updates? When you do please update this thread to let us know.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Thank you for following up, Daniel.

Support has offered the uninstall/reinstal procedure which I dutifully proceeded to do, but the uninstall was blocked as reported before, the renaming of the WRData folder was greeted with an "Access is denied", and the reinstal of a newly downloaded "wsainstall.exe" did nothing to move the process forward.

I reported back the non-results along with some details of the error report that I posted previously. Am waiting for additional instruction.  

Will report back when I make some progress
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Sounds like it's Safe Mode with Sysinternals Autoruns time. Probably what they're going to do next...
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hi Daniel,

Finally, Webroot is working.

Support gave additional insights to the uninstall / reinstall process.  

Had to rename the WRData file before running the uninstal process.  This had to be done in the few seconds between the error messages.  This was the trickiest. part.

Then, the message telling you to log in as Administrator to uninstall Webroot was some kind of a canard or my system is very, very slow.   Waiting a minute or so before closing the message, another message appeared "Are you sure?"  Clicking yes started the uninstall.  

The instructions said to reboot the computer, but I missed that part, and pressed ahead with the new install and it worked without the reboot.

Thank you for the encouragement and help.  I gave one of your messages a kudo for that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I'm glad they got you sorted if you have any other issues we are always here willing to help then if we can't the Support inbox would be next!

Thanks,

Daniel 😃
I had exactly the same problem starting yesterday.   The fix defined worked for me as well.  I used a 3rd party program to force uninstall of Webroot.  However, it did not remove the wrdata file.   That seems to be the critical part of the process.

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello yeloduster and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

XP also? What did you use Revo Uninstaller or some other?

Daniel 😉
Yep, you guessed, I used Revo Uninstaller.  It missed the WRData thing. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I have Revo Pro and it's a great tool for stubborn programs that need to be removed.

Cheers,

Daniel 😉