Amazon.com Downloads the Wrong Program When You Buy This Product !!!!!

• 19 October 2014
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 4
HI :-)

I just ordered a Download Version of Secure Anywhere for PC Gamers.

The download is named correctly BUT the program it downloads is Secure Anywhere A/V., which is a different and currently less expensive product

I have spoken to their Cust Service who was very helpful.

They are issuing me a refund.

The Customer Service Rep said it might take a few days to fix.

Just a heads up.

19 replies

Userlevel 4
Amazon ultimately did right. The refund showed up on my credit card account before the charge did.

Is there a Webroot uninstaller. I did install the program before reporting they had sold me the wrong product (license key). That's how I found out it was the wrong product.

So now I have Webroot A/V installed on my PC with a years subscription I ultimately did not pay for. I believe that keeping it installed is not the right thing for me to do. So I want to uninstall it and install a version I paid for.

Is the Windows uninstaller sufficient?

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Amazon ultimately did right. The refund showed up on my credit card account before the charge did.

Is there a Webroot uninstaller. I did install the program before reporting they had sold me the wrong product (license key). That's how I found out it was the wrong product.

So now I have Webroot A/V installed on my PC with a years subscription I ultimately did not pay for. I believe that keeping it installed is not the right thing for me to do. So I want to uninstall it and install a version I paid for.

Is the Windows uninstaller sufficient?

Uninstalling is very easy, but I am going to let @ answer your question on this BEFORE you remove it.   Just in case there are other options available to get you the license key type that you wanted to begin with, etc etc.  

In the event you pay for and receive a Gamers Edition Key Code, the same installer you used is still correct... merely changing the key code will change the available feature set to that of the proper Gamer Edition.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Oh and feel free to continue using the keycode if you like, as compensation for the hassle you had to go through.  If you like the product and find it useful over the year, then you can decide if you'd like to renew next year.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
This was a download. They put the  keycode in your Amazon Software Library. Last year's expired keycode is still in there :-)

But now both the download and keycode have been removed for my recent purchase.

I have a copy of the key code buy can no longer download the program.

But It's already installed.
You can redownload any time you want.  Maybe not from Amazon but I think you will find that the PC Download link below in my signature will work just fine.  ALL Webroot home products (Other than the Best Buy version) use a common installer... so no worries about it not being avaiable via Amazon, we have you covered!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I'm sure we eat the sale, not Amazon, but don't worry about it.  If it's just a keycode, it doesn't really cost us anything per individual keycode unless you call support 🙂  Besides, as it was probably our mistake with the wrong keycode, like David suggested, then it's on us to make it right.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sorry - didn't mean to make that feature misleading.  That's good feedback and I'll pass it along to the team that works on the gamer version.
Userlevel 4
Who is hawki -- can't that person spell his/her own name?

WSA is the right anti-malware solution for gamers.

WSA needs no fluff to be called The Gamer's Version."
Userlevel 7
That is very odd indeed, as ALL versions of WSA use the exact same download.  The ONLY difference is in the key code: the Gamers Key Code will unlock the correct features of the product.  I myself user WSA-Complete, with ALL of the features available, and it works quite fine using the same "WSA-AV" download.....

I would suggest that instead of Sales, anyone else affected by this unfortunate bug contact Support.  Sales might not be able to do technical manipulations of a key code, but Support can.

If anyone else is affected by this, it is quite simply, basically speaking, an error with permissions at the Webroot back end and should be quite easily fixed either by a Support either via correction of the existing key code associations or by providing a replacement key code.

@ Has anyone else noted this?  
Userlevel 4
This was a download. They put the  keycode in your Amazon Software Library. Last year's expired keycode is still in there :-)

But now both the download and keycode have been removed for my recent purchase.

I have a copy of the key code buy can no longer download the program.

But It's already installed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi hawki I was wondering if this was you at least you are in the right place now!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 4
Great.

Yeah they issued a refund that I may not have access to for a week but they were able to immediately remove the download and license key immediately from my software library--turkeys.

The wrong Webroot Program is Better Than None

Jerks.

Userlevel 7
As I noted above, there are differences in what the Sales department can do and what the Support techs can do.  Since ALL versions of WSA use the same download, the key code being the only difference, Support would be able to either replace the key code or re-associate it I think.  (If anyone has this problem and Support is NOT able to fix it, please let me know.)

Sales mainly has two things they can do: sell a new copy and/or make a refund for a customer that is not satisfied.  (Really, you do have to love the 70 day return policy... how many other software makers or AV vendors do THAT?  Most of the time it is no refund if the software has been opened or installed.......)

Anyway, Anyone with the issue please contact Support unless we are informed specifically that Support cannot handle this issue.  In the past, bugs like this have happened, and Support was able to handle the situation.

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yep, you can just uninstall in add/remove programs.
Userlevel 4
Well that would depend on at whose expense it's at. If Amazon is the loser fIne NP. If Webroot loses a part of the returned funds that would be different. I don't know how you guys work with Amazon.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Well that would depend on at whose expense it's at. If Amazon is the loser fIne NP. If Webroot loses a part of the returned funds that would be different. I don't know how you guys work with Amazon.
Question: Did the key code come via email or did you receive a physical box with the key code inside?
Userlevel 7
Well, in the long run, the error would have been at Webroot's side for either providing Amazon with the wrong batch of key codes, or for not configuring that particular key code or a full batch of them correctly.

It does not happen often, but it has happened before.  Essentially, just a single bit at the Webroot back-end can be set wrong by accident and the key code ends up being for a different product.

So... Webroot is, I think, at fault when it comes down to the nitty gritty.  They are making good for the error.  It is just good PR essentially, and this is what I have seen them do in the past in the rare instances an error like that happens.
Userlevel 4
OK -- SORRY :-)

This was all a mistake on my part caused by a poor choice of terminology and bland graphics on the WSA GUI by Webroot. I got the right product and key from Amazon. I just did not recognize it as such.

First, the GUI is the same for all WSA products I guess - I was expecting that the GUI would identify the product as WSA for PC Gamers.

While there was an "optimizer" all that is is a cleaner. A gamer would never consider a file cleaner as a gaming optimizer.

LOL Triple Helix and I just had a bit of a go about this over at Wilders.

You guys at Webroot should not name a version of WSA a gamer's edition because it has a file cleaner. You don't have to.

As I said on Wilder's, all WSA versions are gamer's editions because of the speed and lightness of all WSA products.

To refer to a file cleaner as an optimizer on a "gamer's" edition is a joke. While technically a file cleaner is an optimizer in the sense that it might inperceptibly speed-up your PC, it is far from what a gamer would call a gaming optimizer.

You guys at Webroot should 1) Change the name of "optimizer" to "file cleaner/eraser" on all versions of WSA; 2) Change the name of the Gamer's version to WSA A/V + File Cleaner.

If I went to a gamer forum and said I had developed an Optimizer for Gamers the sole function of which is to remove uneeded files from your disc I'd probably receive a temporary ban for Trolling or be laughed out of the community.

Get Real !

WSA - ALL VERSIONS - ARE FOR GAMERS :-)

BTW: Changing the description of the optimizer on the gamers version would probably be a smart idea. Just say what it is and don't imply it is anything more than that. The accurracy of the description is not congruent with the reputation of your company, nor the accuracy of your product. Webroot has no need to oversell it's swift product to gamers by such marketing tactics. WSA is far above that level.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Sorry - didn't mean to make that feature misleading.  That's good feedback and I'll pass it along to the team that works on the gamer version.
@  Really, if the name is to be changed on the Gamers version it MUST be changed on ALL versions... otherwise the same download would no longer work.

In theory though I agree.  While many have gotten well used to the name of "Optimizer" now, it really does not have the same connotations as most other software.  Most others refer to an Optimize function as being something akin to Defrag.  I had this discussion on another thread just the other day.

This would be a big step backwards, and Webroot might not want to go there, but perhaps rename it to something derived from the old Window Washer.  We do get a number of posts from people looking for the Washer, not realizing they already have it in the Optimizer.

Just my $0.02
Userlevel 4
@ wrote:
Don't be too hard on them. If you read it slowly and carefully it is not necessarily misleading because respecting what the resulting action on your PC of it is,it is accurate. Although in the overall context, some may call it that. At worst, some skilled copywriter was a bit too clever, thats all :-)

And as I said over at Wilders, the only reason I raised the issue was that it made me LOL that I had made such a big deal out of thinking that I did not get the right version when I actually did.

Apology totally not necessary but accepted.

VIRGINIA IS FOR LOVERS

WSA IS FOR GAMERS