Crysis 3 hacked to run at 8K

• 10 May 2014
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Gives us a beautiful glimpse of gaming in the future:
http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/8k-crysis-downsize-640x353.jpg

You know how your computer struggles to run Crysis 3 at 1920×1080 at very high detail? And you know how beautiful it looks, even at that humdrum resolution? Well, now an enthusiast called K-putt has used a hacked Crysis 3 executable to run the game at 8K — and I’m not being hyperbolic when I say that the resultant screenshots are probably the most beautiful examples of real-time computer-generated graphics that I’ve ever seen. Crysis 3 at 8K looks so good that you could be mistaken for thinking that these screenshots are hand-drawn concept art — but in fact they’re straight out of the engine. Don’t get your hopes up for 8K gaming any time soon, though: K-putt has a pretty beefy gaming rig, and yet it could only muster 2 fps when running at 8K resolution.

As you’re probably well aware, ever since Crysis was first released in 2007, it has been the benchmark for graphics card performance and beautiful real-time visuals. To this day, “does it run Crysis?” is still a pretty common meme in computer hardware circles. Crysis 3 isn’t quite as crippling as the first game — it runs at reasonable frame rates on most mid-to-high-end graphics cards — but it’s still one of the best ways to stress a graphics card, and it’s still one of most beautiful games on the market.

Full Article

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That must look amazing.  Now to see about affording an 8K display 🙂