Dead Space Could Make a Comeback at Some Point in Time, EA Admits

• 22 June 2014
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Electronic Arts has admitted that the Dead Space franchise could make a comeback at some point in time, although it emphasized that right now there is no such project in development at original studio Visceral Games.

The Dead Space series started with an ambitious game coming from Visceral that, while earning critical acclaim, didn't exactly succeed in terms of sales, which prompted some worries that Electronic Arts, the publisher, wouldn’t fund a sequel.

However, EA proved that it wasn't that cruel and gave Visceral the resources to develop not one, but two more games in the series, each experimenting in terms of multiplayer, with a competitive experience in Dead Space 2 and a cooperative one in Dead Space 3.

Now, Visceral Games is busy with two major projects, the first being Battlefield Hardline, which has been announced for a fall release, and the second being the Star Wars open world experience, for which it has already recruited Uncharted writer Amy Hennig.

EA's Patrick Söderlund emphasized to Polygon that it allows Visceral to work on anything its teams want and that this also includes a new Dead Space game, for example.

"To the largest extent we can, we want to get the game teams to work on the things they want to work on themselves. There's an incredible amount of enthusiasm over Hardline and the Star Wars game at Visceral."

However, a new Dead Space experience would require a thorough re-examining of the series so far, in order to determine what garnered acclaim in the first three ones and what needs to be changed in order to please fans of the series.

"Do I think that we will create a Dead Space game again? Yes, I think so. But when we do so, we have to think about what made the previous ones successful and how we go about envisioning Dead Space for a new generation."

Söderlund also emphasized that a new Dead Space game isn't in development right now at Visceral but the possibility of seeing a new title debut at some point in time is there.

"Now, I'm not announcing a Dead Space game," Söderlund added. "We're not building one just to be very clear, but I'm saying is there an opportunity or possibility to do one in the future? Absolutely."

As such, while Dead Space 3 was a mixed experience, it seems that EA still has faith in the franchise and even more so in Visceral Games.
Full Article

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I'm sure they'll milk the franchise for all they can 🙂
Userlevel 7
Dead Space 3 was pure horse muck in every way, from the DLC and the in your face pay to win weapons. Shame really as the first two were in my opinion some of the finest horror games ever made.
Userlevel 6
Thinking about part 3 I would say: Rip Deadspace, please!