How do I fix the error Invalid value for registry when I try to open a JPEG?

• 25 December 2016
  • 2 replies

How do I fix the error Invalid value for registry when I try to open a.jpg?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Woolleywc3

Welcome to the Community Forums

Pleas take a look at this thread from the Microsoft Support Forums, as I think that it will be of assistance re. this issue.

Regards, Baldrick
Badge +1

Fix Invalid Value Registry Error by Changing Registry Settings

To fix the invalid value for registry error when opening videos or images, the first thing you must do is delete the older version of all your registry entries and try again. This particular solution has been effective in fixing the issue and here are the steps:

Step 1: Sign in to your computer as Admin. Now, hit Win+R to get the Run window box.
Step 2: Type in “Regedit” and hit “OK” to get the Registry Editor.
Step 3: Go to this registry:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Families\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe.
Step 4: You will usually find around 8 entries in total. Remove the outdated entries now. Keep in mind; it is not so easy to delete entries.

If you don’t know how to remove the outdated registry entries, here are the steps:

Step 1: Select one outdated entry and right-click. Then hit “Permission”
Step 2: Hit “Advanced” now.
Step 3: Tap “Change”, then type the username and then hit “Check Names”. Finally, tap OK.
Step 4: Select the option “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects”, and Apply the settings. Next tap OK.
Step 5: Navigate to the recently added account and tap “Full Control”.
Now, select all the outdated keys, remove them by hitting the right click. When it is done, close Registry Editor Window and try restarting the computer. This may solve the problem for good!

Content Source URL: https://www.r-datarecovery.com/fix-invalid-value-for-registry.html