Solved

i just got a new PC and installed webroot. Now I can't access a game site. any suggestions?

• 3 September 2014
  • 16 replies

i just got a new PC and installed webroot. Now I can't access a game site. any suggestions?
icon

Best answer by travis_stimson 3 September 2014, 22:43

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi travis_stimson

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Would you be able to advise as to how the game site is being blocked, i.e., browser won't open, WSA displays a block web page, etc., and which game site it is?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards, Baldrick
The game is evony and it wont open the site.
Userlevel 7
OK, I presume that the site is www.evony.com/...if so then I have just managed to go to it without any issue or block.  When you say the site 'won't open' can yo describe what you are seeing when it does not?  Does your browser give a message ro show something like it is trying to load a page but cannot?
yes, it just just waits when i log in then times out
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
Hello.I gave it a shot am having no problem with that game.I am assuming you are connecting to the game through http://www.evony.com/
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
I know Webroot can be used along side other solutions,but some do not coexist well with WSA and can have some unforseen side effects.Did your pc come preinstalled with any security software like norton or mcafee?
i am. it may be an outside issue as i cant log from my laptop either, which doesn't have webroot installed.
this is a custom build. It didnt have mcafee or norton on it.
Userlevel 7
Hmmmm, are you seeing the same behaviour on any other site that you usually use or is it just this one...and would you post the exact link that you are using unless it is in some way linked to sensitive or private information...as this really is a puzzle.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13
As i am a gamer myself,i confront server issues from time to time with games.Server congestion usually gets bad letr in the afternoon and into the evening with lots of games.As your game is FTP,it's probably a server congestion issue.It doesn't always effect everyone.It's usually random as far as not allowing a log in.There are other factors as well.I might try again later.I can't remember ever having had an issue with Webroot and any game.
Userlevel 7
I agree with Dan, and I know that this might sound crazy...but have you tried switching off you internet connect so that yo are assigned a new IP Address by your ISP...I assume that you are not using a fixed IP Address.  And then if that does not work then try rebooting...may not work but worth a punt in the circumstances.
So far it is only this site. http://www.evony.com/. that is the site address. I investigated further and the problem is not webroot or my pc. its the gamesite. should clear soon. thanks for your help though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
No prolem.We're here to help.Please post back should you have any further issue or questions.
Userlevel 7
No problem...but given that Dan could get on and play a game, and I could get on...that does sound a bit strange.  But not being a gamer I have not experienced the 'hiccups' & 'issues' that befall serious gamers...
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
No problem...but given that Dan could get on and play a game, and I could get on...that does sound a bit strange.  But not being a gamer I have not experienced the 'hiccups' & 'issues' that befall serious gamers...
It could be a regional thing - sometimes certain servers are for certain areas of the world in these large scale MMOs.

One thing you could try is use a VPN if you have access to one, and try logging in from the VPN location.
this game is pretty notorious for locking people out, especially if you dont follow their TOS to the letter, whick no one does. i'll try logging my accounts again in a few and see if it lets me in