Massive FPS loss, Window noticeably slower! Webroot related? Help!

  • 8 November 2014
  • 56 replies
  • 396 views


Show first post

56 replies

Userlevel 2
Total scans 1
Threats found 0
Last scan duration 4m 26 seconds... This feels strange.. I feel like I did something wrong.. I know the first scan take a long time, typically.
Userlevel 2
Not sure if you're still around, Sherry.

I still had x2 webroot secure install once files in start up So, after re-boot, it asked me to re-install. I ignored it and proceeded to DL the non "best buy" link. It already has my key code entered.

Strange, wondering if that's norma?l Records it access' on my computer? Anyways, scan running at the moment, closing chrome.. hope this didn't hurt it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Bizarro ,
 
Yes I'm still here. Did you follow these instructions?
 
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again?
 @ can you advise here?
 
 
 
 
 
 
Userlevel 7
Well, at this point if Sherry's suggestion does not help, there is not much else to do but go with the Support option and go from there.
Userlevel 2
Thanks, again. I mde a ticket within 10 mins of it being suggested. Going to research if WR is open on weekends.  
 
Thanks everyone for all the help!
 
 
edit: Just to note, I didn't import any settings.  I removed the 2 installers from start up, downloaded from your link.. I didn't have to enter keycode or anything.  My options/settings are defintely not the same.. but keycode was entered and it was a quick scan.
Userlevel 2
Yea, unless there is something I need to do to make sure I don't import settings. The options we're changed from what I had.

Keycode was entered, nevertheless, and scan was 4.21 minutes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Bizarro,

WR Support will more then likely get a hold of you by email probably sometime after the weekend.

Do let us know what they say and if your issue was resolved!

Thanks and You're Welcome!

Regards
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thanks, again. I mde a ticket within 10 mins of it being suggested. Going to research if WR is open on weekends.  
 
Thanks everyone for all the help!
 
 
edit: Just to note, I didn't import any settings.  I removed the 2 installers from start up, downloaded from your link.. I didn't have to enter keycode or anything.  My options/settings are defintely not the same.. but keycode was entered and it was a quick scan.
Are you using the Complete version? You should not remove the two start up entries as the are for the Password Manager to work in Limited User Accounts even if you don't use them it's best to leave them alone! And if you removed them your going to have to do another clean reinstall with a reboot in between.
 
Daniel ;)
 

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Yea, unless there is something I need to do to make sure I don't import settings. The options we're changed from what I had.

Keycode was entered, nevertheless, and scan was 4.21 minutes.
And taking that long to scan tells me you have many [u] Unknown files can you please save a scan log and give us approximately how many [u] files you have? http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C11_ReportsandViewers/CH11a_SavingScanLog.htm
 
Example: [u] c:windowsisuninst.exe [MD5: 515E4684008E955DE0C81E6A7AEA1C2A] [Flags: 40000000.3]
 
Most should have [g] known Good files.
 
Thanks,
 
Daniel 😉
Userlevel 2
They were the only thing in my start up.. I did remove them.. I do not use password manager.. I just print a unsaved document every 30-90 days when I change my passwords again.

If that's the main feature, (I'll look) it's not needed for me. Thanks for the tip, though! Info everywhere!
Userlevel 2
Checking now..

I do always check digital signatures and file sizes of any .exe that's risky.. sometimes sandbox, if ever not sure..

Gonna add that to the main post in case someone is inspired to get checkdiskinfo etc.. Lots of those are bundled with add ware and malware.
Userlevel 2
This scan only took 65 seconds
 
2 [u]
 
 
 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That's more normal and 2 [u] is not bad if you had 20 or over then support would have to Whitelist the files in the Cloud Database. And I still say IMO those two start up items should be there and left alone.
 
http://www.brightcloud.com/platform/webroot-intelligence-network.php
 
Daniel
Userlevel 2
Thanks for trying. Believe me, I wanted there to be a ton [u] and that be the problem.
 
 
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ Are you still on my friend.  I can use a second pair of eyes on the image link posted a couple replies ago with the data from the Task Manager.  I am not seeing anything that brings red flags, do you see anything in there that would be causing the problems?
Apologies, my friend, unfortunately I had to turn in as it was late here in the UK, and it had been a long week.  Am just rading through the thread from start to finish, and if there is anything left to do/if I can assist then I will.
 
Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Task manger, sorted by CPU
 
 


http://i.imgur.com/rea6vaK.jpg
Hi Bizzaro
 
Just looking thorugh the thread, and in particular I note from the screencapture you have posted, that you have IMHO wild readings in realtion to Chrome running on your system:
 


 
I have checked out Chrome on my system (Win7 SP1 64Bit) and none of the instances I can see on my system (and I am writing this post using Chrome) come anywhere close to what I have highlighted above in terms of Memory usage, I/O Reads & Writes.
 
I am no real expert in the matter but I am thinking that it may be an idea to uninstall Chrome completely from your system, reboot for good measure, get a copy of the latest Chrome installer from Google.com (NOT a third party site), install that, reboot and then see if yo are getting the same performance.
 
Not sure that this will help but it should not take long to do, and if it does then it will have saved you either a wait on the Support Ticket response and/or a reinstall of your system.
 
Well, hope that helps?  Please do advise back if you decide to try this and what happens thereafter.
 
Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Task manger, sorted by CPU
 
 


http://i.imgur.com/rea6vaK.jpg
Hi Bizzaro
 
Just looking thorugh the thread, and in particular I note from the screencapture you have posted, that you have IMHO wild readings in realtion to Chrome running on your system:
 


 
I have checked out Chrome on my system (Win7 SP1 64Bit) and none of the instances I can see on my system (and I am writing this post using Chrome) come anywhere close to what I have highlighted above in terms of Memory usage, I/O Reads & Writes.
 
I am no real expert in the matter but I am thinking that it may be an idea to uninstall Chrome completely from your system, reboot for good measure, get a copy of the latest Chrome installer from Google.com (NOT a third party site), install that, reboot and then see if yo are getting the same performance.
 
Not sure that this will help but it should not take long to do, and if it does then it will have saved you either a wait on the Support Ticket response and/or a reinstall of your system.
 
Well, hope that helps?  Please do advise back if you decide to try this and what happens thereafter.
 
Regards, Baldrick

I will 100% do this. I get the same readings on firefox... Firefox actually will crash, pretty quickly. I would have to dump their memory every 10 or so minutes to prevent that.
 
Thank you for confirming this for me!

The problem is, I believe DOTA 2, Steam, or any other application I launch has the exact same problem. I just have not been able to confirm it, until just now.
 
 
I am no expert.. but what in the world could cause this? I've used memdisk and checkdiskinfo all windows diagnostic programs/features. Programs, which I've heard from multiple tech experts and people that build custom computers are very *good* programs for testing hardware.
 
 
Ideally, or obviously, I guess. I would like to know the problem. If the webroot guru's cannot figure it out, and I format with success.. I will be conflicted and puzzled! How did this happen to me? How can I make sure it never happens again? I am SO careful about anything I download, any websites I visit.. I always do my best to make sure java/flash/windows, etc are up to date.
 
I've already trade banned myself from steam and other trading websites. Emptied my BTC wallet, removed my BTC wallet from my computer and just keep my back up's on flash drives, etc...
 
Trying to take every precaution I can.. do not want to get hacked and lose money.. This would be painful 😞
Userlevel 7
Hi Bizzaro
 
No problem...lets hope that we are now on the right track.  
 
As to what would make browsers, i.e., Chrome AND Firefox, behave like this is a moot point; it could be something system-related which would ultimately benefit from a reinstall of Windows...but if it seems to point to that then before doing that I would suggest (i) running the System File Checker (SFC) as that can replace missing or corrupted system files & (ii) running WIndows Repair as that again will scan for OS-related issues and then attempt yo repair them...both of which could ultimately save a reinstall (unless you have an image of the original install of the OS in which case I would just restore that as it will take far less time than a reinstall).
 
Alternatively, and I do not want to unduly alarm you at this point when we still have no definitive steer on the underlying cause, but PUAs (Potentially Unwanted Applications), i.e., adware, etc., which are more a nuisance than dangerous, can sometimes cause this sort of behaviour in browsers...but I am not leaning towards this just yet as you have not mentioned seeing any popups or the like which would tend to be a giveaway that a PUA is present on your system.
 
SO as I said above, no need to get concerned at this stage...I am just hypothesising in public. ;)
 
@ any thoughts on the above/other avenues of investigation?
 
Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Good morning @ my friend, and Bizzaro too!
 
I am really a bit stumped on this one, which is why I called for your help LOL!  On my own system, Chrome has always been a bit of a memory hog, and the memory usage I have while typing this pretty much matches what we are seeing on Bizzaro's numbers.  If Chrome had a high CPU use while at idle, then I would really be pretty sure that there is a PUA in there, but not by the memory stat alone.
 
I may have missed something above, but have we asked if the video drivers are the most up to date available from the manufacturer of the vid card, AND is everything such as Java and Flash fully updated as well?  What I am wondering is if possbly there have been updates to the game software itself that may require all system drivers to be fully up to date to really perform at optimum.
 
Like Baldrick, I am hoping to avoid a Windows re-install, though I really do not have suggestions beyond what he has in his replies 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Just contact support they can have a look at your logs they even can send you a log gathering utility to upload system logs as well. I know you said you contacted them but it doesn't seem like a problem we can solve on the Community. So the support channel is your best bet and please let us know what they come up with!
 
Thanks,
 
Daniel 😉
Userlevel 2
@ wrote:
Hi Bizzaro
 
No problem...lets hope that we are now on the right track.  
 
As to what would make browsers, i.e., Chrome AND Firefox, behave like this is a moot point; it could be something system-related which would ultimately benefit from a reinstall of Windows...but if it seems to point to that then before doing that I would suggest (i) running the System File Checker (SFC) as that can replace missing or corrupted system files & (ii) running WIndows Repair as that again will scan for OS-related issues and then attempt yo repair them...both of which could ultimately save a reinstall (unless you have an image of the original install of the OS in which case I would just restore that as it will take far less time than a reinstall).
 
Alternatively, and I do not want to unduly alarm you at this point when we still have no definitive steer on the underlying cause, but PUAs (Potentially Unwanted Applications), i.e., adware, etc., which are more a nuisance than dangerous, can sometimes cause this sort of behaviour in browsers...but I am not leaning towards this just yet as you have not mentioned seeing any popups or the like which would tend to be a giveaway that a PUA is present on your system.
 
SO as I said above, no need to get concerned at this stage...I am just hypothesising in public. ;)
 
@ any thoughts on the above/other avenues of investigation?
 
Regards, Baldrick
System File Checker / WIndows Repair  - I am looking into this.. I have not run these, just scan disk..  Will run, thanks for tip!
 
*Crossing fingers*
 
Please, note.. It's not just the web browsers with the problem.. It's any application I run.. It destroys my FPS (frames per second) in games.. I play competitive DOTA (defense of the ancients, big 12million dollar prize pool tournament in July, was on ESPN)...
 
My main reason for not wanting to format at this time, was I have many trades for money taking place.  Forming will destroy this as it would cause a 7 week trade ban on all of my accounts... 
 
Now that I have trade banned myself, from a healthy sense of paranoia.. formatting isn't a huge issue other than it's a pain in the arse.  Definitely, want to get to the bottom of this though, if possible
Userlevel 2
@ wrote:
Good morning @ my friend, and Bizzaro too!
 
I am really a bit stumped on this one, which is why I called for your help LOL!  On my own system, Chrome has always been a bit of a memory hog, and the memory usage I have while typing this pretty much matches what we are seeing on Bizzaro's numbers.  If Chrome had a high CPU use while at idle, then I would really be pretty sure that there is a PUA in there, but not by the memory stat alone.
 
I may have missed something above, but have we asked if the video drivers are the most up to date available from the manufacturer of the vid card, AND is everything such as Java and Flash fully updated as well?  What I am wondering is if possbly there have been updates to the game software itself that may require all system drivers to be fully up to date to really perform at optimum.
 
Like Baldrick, I am hoping to avoid a Windows re-install, though I really do not have suggestions beyond what he has in his replies :(
Sincerely, thanks for all of your help!  Running suggestions now!
Userlevel 2
Ran SFC /scannow   Result:   "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violation."    I thought we had it with this one, honestly.
 
 
Something you said, rang a bell.
 
"
I may have missed something above, but have we asked if the video drivers are the most up to date available from the manufacturer of the vid card, AND is everything such as Java and Flash fully updated as well?  What I am wondering is if possibly there have been updates to the game software itself that may require all system drivers to be fully up to date to really perform at optimum."
 
 
Up until about a month or so ago (about the time this problem began, very minor then) Window Geforce Experience notified me of an update.  I made sure it wasn't beta and downloaded it.  It would never fully update, and exit, Windows would then automatically update my drivers.  
 
After some research, I found on Nvidia's forums 100s of customers complaining this update was specificity designed for their new card that just came out.  It's only function was for support of two things only capable of 1000$ cards, IIRC.  Since then I have uninstalled Geforce Expierence and go to device manager to update drivers.
 
I feel now would be a good time for me to look more into this.  
 
 
Gonna start the second suggestion now
 
 Also, it's morning?  The sun's out so must be!  Haven't slept, been slamming my head against the wall all night, :manembarrassed:
Userlevel 7
AH!  There is a possible solution... at least I hope so.  In your research, make sure to look for the latest "trouble free", "stable" version of the drivers for your specific card.  You may want to read up in any manufacturer forums or groups to find if any others who are using your specific card are also having problems with that one version of the driver that you mentioned.
 
Please do let us know what you find out!
Userlevel 2
[user=780][/user] 
 
 
I've done a google search for "Windows Repair" and a search of C:\ and in the start menu.  I am not seeing a windows executable file already installed.  I am looking in the recovery area as well.  
 
Google search doesn't list anything, that I can see that's already on my computer.  I may be overlooking it.  If you're around, mind clarifying this one for me.
 
 
edit:  Looking into geforce gtx 550 ti drivers, will check back in a few.
 
 
Update 1: Man, Nvidia's forums are a mess with complaints and horror stories, nothing new here.  Pretty much seems to be a complaint about everything.  I do not believe I will find a "stable driver" listed here.  Never been much of an overclocker, since I have never played a game, recently, that needed it.  Pushing benchmarks to the max was never my thing.
 
Here is my plan... A new driver was released on Nov. 4th.. I am going to update to this driver after redownloading Geforce Experience.  If nothing changes, I am going to use my original cd with original drivers, and do a clean install.  If this version gives trouble, I will download to my last known "stable" version before this disaster.  If none of these fix the problem, well, pray for me.
 
Update 2: It could be sleep derivation, and will definitely need time to test.  But from the 5-10 minutes I spent messing around in game, and on restarting once, it feels more smooth/crisp.  I wouldn't say it's at the original speed but, at this time, it feels better.  Still not getting the FPS I'd like.  Will play after take a nap and run firefox for a bit and see if it crashes in 5-10 minutes like before.   I think after I talk to tech support, no matter my results, I'm going to format.  I've already trade banned myself, and it's been February since my last one.
 
Update 3: Not covinced this is related to graphics card drives, unless my gtx 550 ti is bad, somehow.  I've done a clean uninstall and re insteall from original cd.  It defintely feels better than my old drivers but the problems are still here!
 
If any Nvidia "fan boys" are reading this.. let me know your thoughts, would love to hear! (I am a Nvidia Fanboy, never have I use any other graphics card).

Reply