Massive FPS loss, Window noticeably slower! Webroot related? Help!

• 8 November 2014
  • 56 replies

Userlevel 2
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Techie/Window-s-running-slow-FPS-loss-Webroot-related-Help/td-p/169013

If I am breaking a rule by posting this to two fourms.  I appologize in advance.  I didn't see anything in the search I did to check.

56 replies

Userlevel 2
(Note: This thread merged with the other thread of the same topic.  No worries Bizarro, we know that it can be confusing where to post for new members.  We do not mind moving or merging a post  :D .)
 Edit:
I also do not use the Gaming version.  I use the Webroot Complete (everything)!  This was originally purchashed for business computers.

Support ticket send, though, I fear I will not hear anything until Monday... Community advice, anyone?  Can tip btc/paypal xD  

No, seriously  I would have no problem tipping BTC/Paypal.

EDIT:2
Here I will post all screenshots posted through out this entire topic.  ( swear imgurl is not malware! =p

Task Manger: Columns sorted by UP CPU

http://i.imgur.com/rea6vaK.jpg

Task Manger: Memory Set (working private)

http://imgur.com/a/FlsVm

Hey, guys!

I figured before I formatted I'd ask the experts, as formatting right now will hinder me.  In a nutshell, my system is running noticeably slower.  When gaming my FPS is by the day getting worse, almost unplayable at this point.   Browsing the Internet or basic windows browsing I can feel the slowness consume me.  Need to rid myself ASAP

What I've done to troubleshoot:

1)  Scan for malware/virus' in safe mode.  Use malware bytes, too, just incase.  100% clean according to both programs.

2) Run System Analyzer.  It has reported, sometimes, that I have memory/handle leaks for DOTA 2 (video game) and or my browsers.  I also notice, after a few days, it will tell me Window I.E. temporary folder is large.  I never use Window I.E. just chrome/firefox.  

3) Run System optimizer!  I have checked almost every box I feel comfortable checking.  I don't mess with the registry, though.

4) MSIAFTERBURNER - Use this to check my core temperatures.. everything appears ok, 160F is max that I've seen when gaming.  Note, my card isn't overclocked

5) Use Memtest, over 3 hours!  All tests passed.

6) CheskDiskInfo.  Everything is blue harddrive is normal temp, I believe. 

7) Re-run  Window's Experience Index.  Processor = 7.1, RAM = 7.5, Graphics = 7.4, Gaming Graphics = 7.4, Primary Hard Disc = 5.9

8) Stare at resource monitor for more hours than I can admit try to establish if I am using more memory than I should, and researching process'..  I have no clue what I am looking for here.  I can give screen shots, if requested.  about 1.2-2gibs of RAM is taken up upon starting up.. I have about 50 processes that start up with my computer and no applications.

9) Defrag

10) Vaccum out the inside of my P.C.

11) Check disc for errors

12) I am sure I am blanking on a few basic things.. Will edit later.

System Specs

Processor:   Inel Core 3 i3 -2120 CPU @ 3.30ghz

RAM:   8gig DDR3

Graphics Card:  Geforce  GTX 550 TI

Windows 64 bit

Disk(Hard?) drive:  ST500DM002-1BD142 ATA device

If you need more info like bios version or anything just let me know, and I can google to find the info.

I was thinking, maybe it's possible I've played with advanced settings on webroot, and this could be the cause?

I don't know anymore!  :robotembarrassed:I am at the point, I feel I don't know what else to do.. and need to format so I can 100% rule out at software, as the issue.

If any tips/tricks or anything I may have overlooked, would greatly appreciate to hear!

Thanks, so much for any help/feedback!  You might save my life from stress related head explosion!:mansad:

Edited: Words and formatting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Bizzarro,

Welcome to the Community!

We have two options here and one in put a clean reinstall of Webroot to eliminate that webroot is the problem and 2nd is to issue a Support Ticket. which is free of charge with a Subscription.

Can you please do a clean reinstall of WSA and Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your Keycode
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Unless one of our Forum members have a suggestion here? @ 

Let us know what you decide to do Ok?

Best Regards,
Userlevel 7
Hi Bizzaro

Welcome to the Community Forums.

At the risk of sounding stupid, have you check under the Task Manager to see what if anything in terms of processes or apps may be taking up an unusually high amount of either RAM and/or CPU?  If not then please do so and post back here with details of the top 3 in each case together with the relavant CPU or RAM value.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
@ wrote:
Hi Bizzaro

Welcome to the Community Forums.

At the risk of sounding stupid, have you check under the Task Manager to see what if anything in terms of processes or apps may be taking up an unusually high amount of either RAM and/or CPU?  If not then please do so and post back here with details of the top 3 in each case together with the relavant CPU or RAM value.

Regards, Baldrick

love this question.  I can look at private memory, handles, etc but no clue what's normal.

They say a picture is worth 1000 words?

http://imgur.com/a/FlsVm
(taken yesterday or day before at most)

Incase it's not, today's top 3

Sorted by Memory (Private Working Set)

1. svchost .exe
a) Private Working Set Memory = 124,940k
b) Handles:  583
c) I/O Write Bytes 9.306,287

2.       explorer.exe

a) Private Working Set Memory= 25,704k
b) Handles:  714
c) I/O Write Bytes 9.44

3.     LCore.exe

a) Private Working Set Memory= 24,540k
b) Handles:  295
c) I/O Write Bytes 398,354

Important note:

Chrome took the top by the time I could finish writing this

Chrome.exe

Private Working Set Memory= 171,605k (just keeps going up) 180,000k within 10 seconds, normal?
b) Handles:  295
c) I/O Write Bytes 43, 320,976

edit:  If look for different column's please specify which
Userlevel 2
@ wrote:
Hello Bizzarro,

We have two options here and one in put a clean reinstall of Webroot to eliminate that webroot is the problem and 2nd is to issue a Support Ticket. which is free of charge with a Subscription.

• KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Reboot once again

Best Regards,

I can try this.. I doubt webroot is the cause... I just was hoping to get some attention...

I will try this though, eliminate it as a problem before I format.. Thanks for tip

edit:  Although, Webroot's Analyzer and protection (full  scan, any scan) are 100/100 and no threats found
Userlevel 2
Thanks, I am amazed at how fast I am getting responses!
Userlevel 2
Thanks for merging, I'll be honest, I felt more comfortable in tech as most gamers I encounter are, well, gamer's! xD
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Bizarro!

Please let us know how things turn out won't you?

Thanks! 🙂
Userlevel 2
@ wrote:
Hello Bizzarro,

• Reboot once again

Best Regards,

Before I re-install webroot.. is there anything I should know or be on the look out for here?
Userlevel 2
Of course! I am hoping we can all find out together! If format doesn't fix, and I cannot find suggestions here... Imma break this computer with a sledgehammer, set it on fire.. and go build a 100% new one
Userlevel 2
Making support ticket, just incase.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Bizarro!

Well just follow the instructions that I gave you and you shouldn't have any problems reinstalling and if you do please come on back and we will be here to help you!:D

EDIT: Please follow Davids information ok? Thanks shorTcircuiT!
Userlevel 7
Can you try to get a different set of numbers?

Do CTRL + ALT + DEL, and select Task Manager
Click the Processes tab
At the bottom, click the button to Show Processes From All Users
At the top, click the CPU Column to set the sort order to have high CPU use at top

What are the top 3 programs listed and what CPU % are they using?

At the top, click the Memory column to set the sort order to have high memory usage at top

What are the top 3 memory users and how much memory are they using?

Thanks 🙂
Userlevel 2
@ wrote:
Can you try to get a different set of numbers?

Do CTRL + ALT + DEL, and select Task Manager
Click the Processes tab
At the bottom, click the button to Show Processes From All Users
At the top, click the CPU Column to set the sort order to have high CPU use at top

What are the top 3 programs listed and what CPU % are they using?

At the top, click the Memory column to set the sort order to have high memory usage at top

What are the top 3 memory users and how much memory are they using?

I guess, sometime we focus too much on the little things.
 If this is % of total cpu useage.. System Idle Process 96%????  This doesn't sound good.

Userlevel 2

@ wrote:
Hi Bizarro!

Well just follow the instructions that I gave you and you shouldn't have any problems reinstalling and if you do please come on back and we will be here to help you!:D

EDIT: Please follow Davids information ok? Thanks shorTcircuiT!

Awesome, I will do this.. First, I just await Dave's replys.  I think he is on to something, hopefully!
Userlevel 7
@ Are you still on my friend.  I can use a second pair of eyes on the image link posted a couple replies ago with the data from the Task Manager.  I am not seeing anything that brings red flags, do you see anything in there that would be causing the problems?
Userlevel 2
BTW. love your quote.  Not sure how to just quote one thing on this forum, yet.  

""If you don't learn something new every day, you need to pay more attention. I often get my daily learning here so grab a chair and stay a while!""

Definitelyhave learned 100 things a day through out this nightmare
Userlevel 2
Replying to you as well, so you can see the new information.. I believe it will give notification.. Very new to these forums.. As in the last hour or so.. (I read the blog)
Userlevel 7
Baldrick may well be off for the night.

I really did not see anything in that screenshot that raises alarms of malware being present.  There was no large CPU or RAM usage that looked abnormal to me.

I think go ahead and go the Trouble Ticket route to check for any malware or adware that may be there, and hopefully the real experts will find something that I am missing.

Hopefully you will not need to go anything extreme

Let us know what support says, I would be very interested to know what,they find!

Userlevel 2
Task manger, sorted by CPU

Userlevel 2
??
Userlevel 2
@ wrote:
Baldrick may well be off for the night.

I really did not see anything in that screenshot that raises alarms of malware being present.  There was no large CPU or RAM usage that looked abnormal to me.

I think go ahead and go the Trouble Ticket route to check for any malware or adware that may be there, and hopefully the real experts will find something that I am missing.

Hopefully you will not need to go anything extreme

Let us know what support says, I would be very interested to know what,they find!

Affirmative. Will reply back. Thanks very much for trying.. I do appreciate it!

For anyone else out there, if you'd like screenshots of ANYTHING else, just ask. I can give you memtest, checkdiskinfo, anything windows 7 x 64, MSI Afterburner screenshots, etc

edit: Can you tell me what "kudos" are used for.. Or is it just a friendly thing and exactly what it says, "kudos" 
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Bizarro!

It means just what it saids, friendly agreement, good job ..etc 🙂
Userlevel 2
🙂 Thanks!

Before I re-install webroot.. Now that I have a open support ticket.. Is it still a good option to re-install? I fear I could lose information that the tech support guru's might require

Also, maybe you can move me out of PC gamers.. I doubt I will attrack the experts here xD

EDIT: If not possible to Webroot Complete? I have the complete package Webroot EVERYTHING (*complete
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
🙂 Thanks!

Before I re-install webroot.. Now that I have a open support ticket.. Is it still a good option to re-install? I fear I could lose information that the tech support guru's might require

Also, maybe you can move me out of PC gamers.. I doubt I will attrack the experts here xD

If not possible, Home, or Business.  I have the complete package Webroot EVERYTHING (my own name)
Hi Bizarro,

If you issue a Support Ticket and if you reinstall Webroot then you might not need Support if reinstalling works. But this is entirely up to you. It's just a process of elimination.

Webroot can help you either way. Like David said you could have Malware and reinstalling will not get rid of the Malware but Support can take a better look and tell you whats going on.

The Forum members are here and it doesn't matter where you post to get experts.

Regards,