Massive FPS loss, Window noticeably slower! Webroot related? Help!

• 8 November 2014
  • 56 replies

Userlevel 2
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Techie/Window-s-running-slow-FPS-loss-Webroot-related-Help/td-p/169013

If I am breaking a rule by posting this to two fourms.  I appologize in advance.  I didn't see anything in the search I did to check.

56 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
After looking at the logs you've provided, I have to lean toward some system issues possibly related to the overheating.

The screenshot showing 145 degrees farenheit is still above the normal operating temperatures of the proecessor.

If you're comfortable with building systems, it may be time to give the processor heatsink and fan a complete cleaning and reapplication of thermal compound.

These events in the System Event log support this theory:

SYS 11/11/2014 23:11 Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power 89 Information 86 NT AUTHORITYSYSTEM Owner-PC ACPI thermal zone ACPIThermalZoneTZ00 has been enumerated. ^^_PSV = 0K ^^_TC1 = 0 ^^_TC2 = 0 ^^_TSP = 0ms ^^_AC0 = 355K ^^_AC1 = 328K ^^_AC2 = 273K ^^_AC3 = 273K ^^_AC4 = 273K ^^_AC5 = 0K ^^_AC6 = 0K ^^_AC7 = 0K ^^_AC8 = 0K ^^_AC9 = 0K ^^_CRT = 376K ^^_HOT = 0K ^^_PSL - see event data.

SYS 11/11/2014 23:11 Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power 89 Information 86 NT AUTHORITYSYSTEM Owner-PC ACPI thermal zone ACPIThermalZoneTZ01 has been enumerated. ^^_PSV = 376K ^^_TC1 = 1 ^^_TC2 = 5 ^^_TSP = 1000ms ^^_AC0 = 0K ^^_AC1 = 0K ^^_AC2 = 0K ^^_AC3 = 0K ^^_AC4 = 0K ^^_AC5 = 0K ^^_AC6 = 0K ^^_AC7 = 0K ^^_AC8 = 0K ^^_AC9 = 0K ^^_CRT = 376K ^^_HOT = 0K ^^_PSL - see event data.
Userlevel 7
Hi Bizzaro

Welcome to the Community Forums.

At the risk of sounding stupid, have you check under the Task Manager to see what if anything in terms of processes or apps may be taking up an unusually high amount of either RAM and/or CPU?  If not then please do so and post back here with details of the top 3 in each case together with the relavant CPU or RAM value.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Can you try to get a different set of numbers?

Do CTRL + ALT + DEL, and select Task Manager
Click the Processes tab
At the bottom, click the button to Show Processes From All Users
At the top, click the CPU Column to set the sort order to have high CPU use at top

What are the top 3 programs listed and what CPU % are they using?

At the top, click the Memory column to set the sort order to have high memory usage at top

What are the top 3 memory users and how much memory are they using?

Thanks 🙂
Userlevel 7
@ Are you still on my friend.  I can use a second pair of eyes on the image link posted a couple replies ago with the data from the Task Manager.  I am not seeing anything that brings red flags, do you see anything in there that would be causing the problems?
Userlevel 7
Good morning @ my friend, and Bizzaro too!

I am really a bit stumped on this one, which is why I called for your help LOL!  On my own system, Chrome has always been a bit of a memory hog, and the memory usage I have while typing this pretty much matches what we are seeing on Bizzaro's numbers.  If Chrome had a high CPU use while at idle, then I would really be pretty sure that there is a PUA in there, but not by the memory stat alone.

I may have missed something above, but have we asked if the video drivers are the most up to date available from the manufacturer of the vid card, AND is everything such as Java and Flash fully updated as well?  What I am wondering is if possbly there have been updates to the game software itself that may require all system drivers to be fully up to date to really perform at optimum.

Like Baldrick, I am hoping to avoid a Windows re-install, though I really do not have suggestions beyond what he has in his replies 😞
Userlevel 2
@ wrote:
Good morning @ my friend, and Bizzaro too!

I am really a bit stumped on this one, which is why I called for your help LOL!  On my own system, Chrome has always been a bit of a memory hog, and the memory usage I have while typing this pretty much matches what we are seeing on Bizzaro's numbers.  If Chrome had a high CPU use while at idle, then I would really be pretty sure that there is a PUA in there, but not by the memory stat alone.

I may have missed something above, but have we asked if the video drivers are the most up to date available from the manufacturer of the vid card, AND is everything such as Java and Flash fully updated as well?  What I am wondering is if possbly there have been updates to the game software itself that may require all system drivers to be fully up to date to really perform at optimum.

Like Baldrick, I am hoping to avoid a Windows re-install, though I really do not have suggestions beyond what he has in his replies :(
Sincerely, thanks for all of your help!  Running suggestions now!
Userlevel 2
Ran SFC /scannow   Result:   "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violation."    I thought we had it with this one, honestly.

Something you said, rang a bell.

"
I may have missed something above, but have we asked if the video drivers are the most up to date available from the manufacturer of the vid card, AND is everything such as Java and Flash fully updated as well?  What I am wondering is if possibly there have been updates to the game software itself that may require all system drivers to be fully up to date to really perform at optimum."

Up until about a month or so ago (about the time this problem began, very minor then) Window Geforce Experience notified me of an update.  I made sure it wasn't beta and downloaded it.  It would never fully update, and exit, Windows would then automatically update my drivers.  

After some research, I found on Nvidia's forums 100s of customers complaining this update was specificity designed for their new card that just came out.  It's only function was for support of two things only capable of 1000$ cards, IIRC.  Since then I have uninstalled Geforce Expierence and go to device manager to update drivers.

I feel now would be a good time for me to look more into this.  

Gonna start the second suggestion now

Also, it's morning?  The sun's out so must be!  Haven't slept, been slamming my head against the wall all night, :manembarrassed:
Userlevel 7
Hi Bizzaro

Apologies for the somewhat less than explantory reference to Windows Repair...so to rectify that, and I quote "The Advanced Boot Options screen lets you start Windows in advanced troubleshooting modes. You can access the menu by turning on your computer and pressing the F8 key before Windows starts."

The article that comes from can be found here.  This is essentially for startup issues but it has been used to sort out issues that whilst they don't prevent starting per se. what is started is not running correctly.  As I said originally...it is a long shot...in case everything fails and the last thing to try before a reinstall of the OS.

In terms of the Driver angle...I really, really hope that this proves to be the solution...otherwise I would agree with Daniel's view that you let the Support Team take a look for you, etc.

Regards, Baldrick 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm a little late to this thread, but I've read the original post and would like you verify if your CPU is still reaching temperatures of 160 degrees while gaming. That converts to 71.1 degrees celsius while the maximum temp allowed by your processor is 69.1°C.

http://ark.intel.com/products/53426/Intel-Core-i3-2120-Processor-3M-Cache-3_30-GHz

I wouldn't mind seeing some screenshots of MSI Afterburner's temperature readings while your CPU is under stress, just to verify.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Bizzarro,

Welcome to the Community!

We have two options here and one in put a clean reinstall of Webroot to eliminate that webroot is the problem and 2nd is to issue a Support Ticket. which is free of charge with a Subscription.

Can you please do a clean reinstall of WSA and Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your Keycode
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Unless one of our Forum members have a suggestion here? @ 

Let us know what you decide to do Ok?

Best Regards,
Userlevel 2
Thanks for merging, I'll be honest, I felt more comfortable in tech as most gamers I encounter are, well, gamer's! xD
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thanks, again. I mde a ticket within 10 mins of it being suggested. Going to research if WR is open on weekends.  

Thanks everyone for all the help!

edit: Just to note, I didn't import any settings.  I removed the 2 installers from start up, downloaded from your link.. I didn't have to enter keycode or anything.  My options/settings are defintely not the same.. but keycode was entered and it was a quick scan.
Are you using the Complete version? You should not remove the two start up entries as the are for the Password Manager to work in Limited User Accounts even if you don't use them it's best to leave them alone! And if you removed them your going to have to do another clean reinstall with a reboot in between.

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That's more normal and 2 [u] is not bad if you had 20 or over then support would have to Whitelist the files in the Cloud Database. And I still say IMO those two start up items should be there and left alone.

http://www.brightcloud.com/platform/webroot-intelligence-network.php

Daniel
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ Are you still on my friend.  I can use a second pair of eyes on the image link posted a couple replies ago with the data from the Task Manager.  I am not seeing anything that brings red flags, do you see anything in there that would be causing the problems?
Apologies, my friend, unfortunately I had to turn in as it was late here in the UK, and it had been a long week.  Am just rading through the thread from start to finish, and if there is anything left to do/if I can assist then I will.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Task manger, sorted by CPU

http://i.imgur.com/rea6vaK.jpg
Hi Bizzaro

Just looking thorugh the thread, and in particular I note from the screencapture you have posted, that you have IMHO wild readings in realtion to Chrome running on your system:

I have checked out Chrome on my system (Win7 SP1 64Bit) and none of the instances I can see on my system (and I am writing this post using Chrome) come anywhere close to what I have highlighted above in terms of Memory usage, I/O Reads & Writes.

I am no real expert in the matter but I am thinking that it may be an idea to uninstall Chrome completely from your system, reboot for good measure, get a copy of the latest Chrome installer from Google.com (NOT a third party site), install that, reboot and then see if yo are getting the same performance.

Not sure that this will help but it should not take long to do, and if it does then it will have saved you either a wait on the Support Ticket response and/or a reinstall of your system.

Well, hope that helps?  Please do advise back if you decide to try this and what happens thereafter.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
AH!  There is a possible solution... at least I hope so.  In your research, make sure to look for the latest "trouble free", "stable" version of the drivers for your specific card.  You may want to read up in any manufacturer forums or groups to find if any others who are using your specific card are also having problems with that one version of the driver that you mentioned.

Please do let us know what you find out!
Userlevel 2
Looks like I can no longer edit the main post.  I wanted to include everything in there that I have tried.  Anyways, system is still not optimal.  

I couldn't find exactly worded "Windows Repair" but I ran a test in launch options that would be run if a computer couldn't start.. I doubt it's the same and am at this point too burned out to invest anymore energy until I hear from support.  

Thanks, everyone for all helpful replys/comments.

Will let update with what happens, for anyone interested.

Great to know this community is avalible and extremely helpful!

Userlevel 2
Thanks, I am amazed at how fast I am getting responses!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Bizarro!

Please let us know how things turn out won't you?

Thanks! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Bizarro!

Well just follow the instructions that I gave you and you shouldn't have any problems reinstalling and if you do please come on back and we will be here to help you!:D

EDIT: Please follow Davids information ok? Thanks shorTcircuiT!
Userlevel 2

@ wrote:
Hi Bizarro!

Well just follow the instructions that I gave you and you shouldn't have any problems reinstalling and if you do please come on back and we will be here to help you!:D

EDIT: Please follow Davids information ok? Thanks shorTcircuiT!

Awesome, I will do this.. First, I just await Dave's replys.  I think he is on to something, hopefully!
Userlevel 2
BTW. love your quote.  Not sure how to just quote one thing on this forum, yet.  

""If you don't learn something new every day, you need to pay more attention. I often get my daily learning here so grab a chair and stay a while!""

Definitelyhave learned 100 things a day through out this nightmare
Userlevel 7
Baldrick may well be off for the night.

I really did not see anything in that screenshot that raises alarms of malware being present.  There was no large CPU or RAM usage that looked abnormal to me.

I think go ahead and go the Trouble Ticket route to check for any malware or adware that may be there, and hopefully the real experts will find something that I am missing.

Hopefully you will not need to go anything extreme

Let us know what support says, I would be very interested to know what,they find!

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Bizarro!

It means just what it saids, friendly agreement, good job ..etc 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
🙂 Thanks!

Before I re-install webroot.. Now that I have a open support ticket.. Is it still a good option to re-install? I fear I could lose information that the tech support guru's might require

Also, maybe you can move me out of PC gamers.. I doubt I will attrack the experts here xD

If not possible, Home, or Business.  I have the complete package Webroot EVERYTHING (my own name)
Hi Bizarro,

If you issue a Support Ticket and if you reinstall Webroot then you might not need Support if reinstalling works. But this is entirely up to you. It's just a process of elimination.

Webroot can help you either way. Like David said you could have Malware and reinstalling will not get rid of the Malware but Support can take a better look and tell you whats going on.

The Forum members are here and it doesn't matter where you post to get experts.

Regards,