NVIDIA GeForce GTX880 rumors

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 6752 replies
Details on NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 880 have begun to leak, with a report from Tyden.cz claiming that the GeForce GTX 880 will be a Maxwell-based GPU that will dominate the single GPU market. The GeForce GTX 880 will move from the family name of GK110 (the 'K' is for Kepler) to the GM204 part. GM204 is the GK110 equivalent of the Kepler family, but based on the Maxwell architecture.

Read more at http://www.tweaktown.com/news/36940/nvidia-geforce-gtx-880-rumored-specs-maxwell-to-flex-its-muscle/index.html

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi@nic, Very interesting information, is this a good gamer graphics video card? Sounds powerful! Would you be able to elaborate in English abit so I can understand? Silly me?;)

Thanks

Sherry
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sure happy to!  This is indeed a powerful graphics card.  To decode the NVIDIA numbering scheme:
1. The first digit, the 8, refers to the generation.  The current generation of their cards is 7, so 8 is the new one that will come out this year.
2. The second digit refers to the power of the card within that family.  Generally 8 has been the highest, although there was a 690 card that came out.
3. The last digit is generally 0, but they have had some cards that ended in 5, that were half way between the second digit

So the GTX 880 would be the most powerful card in the newest generation that will come out in 2014.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Wonderful info...I'm glad I asked..I'll keep my eye on this nvidia card..graphics are always at the top of my upgrading lists!

Cheers, sherry
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Wonderful info...I'm glad I asked..I'll keep my eye on this nvidia card..graphics are always at the top of my upgrading lists!

Cheers, sherry
People generally recommend upgrading every three years.  If you do it more often than that you're probably spending more money than needed.  

This level of card is for folks that are either really into gaming, or who do a lot of video processing.  If you want a solid card for a reasonable price you'll probably want something like the 850 or 860 card.  Or you can pick up last year's generation for a good price once the new ones come out.
Userlevel 7
I wish I had  NVIDA Card .. Actually my laptop works with the AMD Radeon 8870M with 2GB GDDR5.
I can not say that I'm not happy with using it, but after years somehow I'm used to Nvidia...
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I wish I had  NVIDA Card .. Actually my laptop works with the AMD Radeon 8870M with 2GB GDDR5.
I can not say that I'm not happy with using it, but after years somehow I'm used to Nvidia...
Both NVIDIA and AMD make good cards - most of the time it is a matter of preference, and who has better deals at the time you purchase.  They trade back and forth as to who is in the lead.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Nic, yes that's even better information, I'm not much a a big gamer and my programs aren't much for graphics. I just always want a good graphics card when purchasing a PC.

Thanks,
Sherry
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I always go NVIDIA all the way! None of that AMD crap IMHO!

Daniel 😃
Userlevel 7
In my opinion NVidia has better drivers, I'm mean they are less conflictual for different updates ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I agree on the driver updates - NVIDIA tends to be a bit more stable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Alrighty then, I bought a AMD ATI video card years back so I could upgrade my Dell to W7. Works great for kids PC games but I agree NVIDIA has better drivers. I was looking for price at the time. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
ATI was good until AMD took them over but I still like NVIDIA GPU's and Intel CPU's though.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
ATI was good until AMD took them over 
You are right Daniel :D
I still remember one of my first ATI cards  - Rage with... 4MB of memory! ;)