Solved

System Optimizer

I have just been made aware by TripleHelix that the Webroot Gamer Version consists of the AV plus the System Optimizer and nothing else: the perfect combination imho to recommend to my friends, both gamers and non-gamers (I won't go into the details of why).

However, I have a question. It has been pointed out, for example in a couple of the end-posts in this thread, that optimisation is neither necessary  nor desirable (because it shortens SSD disk life) if your computer uses an SSD disk (mine don't currently). My question is: whilst I've never felt the need to do privacy cleanups on my own computers and so the issue doesn't arise for me, for my friends are there any System Optimizer options relating to privacy, such as erasing cookies, erasing internet history* that would mean System Optimizer might still be a useful option even on a computer with SSD disk?

Thanks for any comments or responses to this question.

*How does one do this with Firefox or Chrome? Would that be the FF and Chrome "Cached Files" options in the Advanced SettingsSystem Optimizer options?

EDIT: The correct answer was given by TripleHelix in the very next post (below).  However, confusion arose in my mind due to apparent conflicting advice that led to protracted exchanges and which was finally resolved here. Out of all this came some very helpful advice, mainly from TripleHelix, about the nature of and the proper maintenance of SSDs.
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 1 April 2016, 14:05

View original

41 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Also here is for the 850 EVO: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/ssd850evo/specifications.html
Userlevel 7
Muchas gracias, Maestro...some light bedtime reading matter, eh? ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Muchas gracias, Maestro...some light bedtime reading matter, eh? ;)
Oui!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I was referring to @'s comment. I know I don't understand SSD's and I would never claim I do lol!!
 @ can you please add your comments for @

About this comment: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/idea-for-power-users-SSD-Optimizer/idi-p/70207#.UreKFtJDvdE

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Sorry for the delay! Incredibly busy today!

There is not a whole lot that I can add to this thread, ?. I think you all have gone above and beyond in explaining just about everything there is with SSDs.

I guess I could clarify that instead of optimization perhaps defragmentation was a better choice of words. There is no need to do this on an SSD.

As long as you’re using Windows 7 or 8, your operating system is already sending all the TRIM commands your SSD needs. I'm not %100 sure about the functionality of this with Windows 10 because I personally have not used it, nor will I be using it any time soon.

As far as consolidating for free space. Most of the drives are already doing this with the firmware they have. 

I can't really comment on whether or not its bad to "defrag" the drive as I've heard and read both sides of the story and don't really have any input on it at this time.

Hope that helps!

As a side note, I am currently using http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-75E2T0B/AM? and have been quite pleased with it. Though I'm going to likely pick up the 850 in the next few months.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks James as Muddy7 said I tried my best in this thread and via PM's and I hope he can understand!

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Thank you ?. I just happened to be looking again at this thread when I saw your answer pop up!

So in fact it was just a matter of an inadvertent mischoice of words!! That led me to question what was the right advice, given that Daniel was saying one thing and you apparently another. Now I know that my choice to recommend the Gamer Version of Webroot to my friends (see the very first post of this thread) still remains valid with those of my friends that use an SSD disk.

Thanks!

I have just one more question, and this I ask to Daniel. i've been led to believe that System Optimisation does little to speed up an SSD. I understood that it remains pretty much as speedy however cluttered it gets. I assume, from the fact that you apparently optimise your SSD regularly, that this is mistaken? Or do you do it more to save space?
And yes, Daniel, it's much clearer now. It was the apparent conflict of advice that was confusing me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thank you @. I just happened to be looking again at this thread when I saw your answer pop up!

So in fact it was just a matter of an inadvertent mischoice of words!! That led me to question what was the right advice, given that Daniel was saying one thing and you apparently another. Now I know that my choice to recommend the Gamer Version of Webroot to my friends (see the very first post of this thread) still remains valid with those of my friends that use an SSD disk.

Thanks!

I have just one more question, and this I ask to Daniel. i've been led to believe that System Optimisation does little to speed up an SSD. I understood that it remains pretty much as speedy however cluttered it gets. I assume, from the fact that you apparently optimise your SSD regularly, that this is mistaken? Or do you do it more to save space?
Really I let Windows 10 take care of them and once or twice a month I will do a Manual TRIM clean up after using WSA's System Optimizer (Cleaner) and CCleaner.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Here's another good video to show how important TRIM is set correctly!

TripleHelix wrote
...using WSA's System Optimizer (Cleaner) and CCleaner.

Daniel ;)

To speed up the disk? Or just to save space?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
TripleHelix wrote
...using WSA's System Optimizer (Cleaner) and CCleaner.

Daniel ;)

To speed up the disk? Or just to save space?
@ see my edit in red!

Well for both but I always find it fast as all 5 of my Samsung SSD's have a built in Garbage remover! As to using the cleaners in WSA and CCleaner well that's to get space back as you know Windows keeps allot of unneeded files and needs to be cleaned up.

OK. Perfect! The source of confusion has been resolved (thanks for the clarification, ?) and now I will bookmark this thread so I can come back to it to read again and carefully digest the day I decide to upgrade to an SSD.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
OK. Perfect! The source of confusion has been resolved (thanks for the clarification, @) and now I will bookmark this thread so I can come back to it to read again and carefully digest the day I decide to upgrade to an SSD.
Once you go SSD you will never go back to HDD just ask Sherry! @ 😃 Zoom, Zoom!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Ye sir ree Never will go back to HDD. It's SSD's  for me all the way! Thanks to your helping... I understand alot more too.

I never thought a system could go so fast!:D
I know 😉