Unreal Engine 4 is now free to download for everyone

• 2 March 2015
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Epic has just announced that its game development engine, Unreal Engine 4, is now free for everyone to download. This is a radical change from its $19/year subscription and is quite a welcome one indeed. The current price of the graphics engine, that is $0, will fetch casual users and game developers with all the latest technology including future updates, video tutorials and documentation, as well as ready-made game templates, samples, and content.
Epic's Tim Sweeney writes:
You can download the engine and use it for everything from game development, education, architecture, and visualization to VR, film and animation. When you ship a game or application, you pay a 5% royalty on gross revenue after the first $3,000 per product, per quarter. It’s a simple arrangement in which we succeed only when you succeed.

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I think this is a fantastic move for unreal and as a business its a really good idea, it gets the money from the projects which are worth getting money from and allows people who are just looking to use the engine as a hoby can so as a result publicity goes through the roof, along with more community developed aspects and assets.  I for example can moove away from JUST useing Unity and their asset market and look at Unreal 😃 this is fantastic.

BRING IT ON haha

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Agreed.  I'm pretty excited to see what comes of it.  The Unity platform has made an explosion of indie games, and I think Unreal could follow suit.