Webroot Filtering Extension for Chrome

• 9 December 2014
  • 30 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13
I have recently purchased Webroot for PC Gamers Antivirus, however the webroot filtering extension for chrome is not working, after extensive troubleshooting with webroot support today they told me my subscription does not include access to the webroot filtering extension. My understanding is that Webroot Antivirus for PC Gamers does include the webroot filtering extension and it should be working. thanks in advance for your help.

30 replies

Userlevel 7
@ can you double check this one and the Trouble Ticket as well?  The filter extension should, as far as I know, be a part of the Gamers edition.
Userlevel 7
This issue may need to be sent into an escalation, but let's wait to see what Nic has to say.

For reference:

http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/gamer-av

"Real-Time Anti-Phishing
Real-time anti-phishing identifies and blocks fake websites that trick you into entering your personal information and warns you about dangerous websites before you visit them."
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Hi David, Thanks for your quick reply. I'll wait until nic replies.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
So apparently the gamer version doesn't include the web filter extension - sorry if there was confusion on that point.  Were you want that feature as part of the gamer version?  If you purchased it based on bad information let me know and I can see about transferring you to a regular AV license.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes the Gamer version has the Web Filter! Using Chrome go here and install the latest: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/webroot-filtering-extensi/kjeghcllfecehndceplomkocgfbklffd then restart the browser.

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Thanks for your help. I think it was first important to know for sure if the web filtering add on for chrome is included as part of antivirus for gamers, which i see it is as also david has confirmed. I have reinstalled the add on several times, along with reinstalling chrome with support personnel doing extensive troubleshooting but nothing worked, they ran a tool to collect info from my system. My main concern is that support has informed me it is not part of the subscription i bought, so I guess I'll have to reply back stating that it is indeed included as part of my subscription.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Did you try to install the Web Filter from here? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/webroot-filtering-extensi/kjeghcllfecehndceplomkocgfbklffd

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Hi, Yes both myself and later on support personnel which took control of my pc and even did a complete reinstall of chrome. Despite all of this , the issue still persist, I've already replied to support.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
And yes it's all in the AV Gamer version!

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Daniel, Thanks for the clarification, and the help provided by the community. I guess I'll follow this issue with support, since although I might still be protected of phishing, malware and other potentially unwanted programs it is better to know right from the search results if there is a bad link.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi, Yes both myself and later on support personnel which took control of my pc and even did a complete reinstall of chrome. Despite all of this , the issue still persist, I've already replied to support.
@  Stay after them untill they get it sorted! Try one thing for me Open Chrome and go to the Extension area and delete the Web Filter then go the the Chrome store https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/webroot-filtering-extensi/kjeghcllfecehndceplomkocgfbklffd and install the Web Filter again that should work! If not got to the WRData Folder (It's a Hidden Area) in the Pictures above and open the Chrome Folder and Drag the extension into the open browser.

Let me know which one works!

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 3
Badge +13
I do not have any chrome files added within the Webroot folder, i have just reinstalled the add on.
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
I see it is another path, let me see, if i enable the hidden files option.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I do not have any chrome files added within the Webroot folder, i have just reinstalled the add on.
You have it installed now? And it's not in the Webroot Folder it's in the ProgramData Folder.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I see it is another path, let me see, if i enable the hidden files option.
Right!

Daniel 😃
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
I've rechecked but I do not have any PKG folder.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Please do this and my way because you should have the PKG folder in WRData! Did you get to C:ProgramDataWRDataPKGChrome Folder?

Can you please do a clean reinstall of WSA and Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your Keycode
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I've rechecked but I do not have any PKG folder.
Are you using the Business Keycode by any chance? Are you sure it's the Anti-Virus Gamer Version see in the picture and part of the Keycode says GAMR as well it says Antivirus for Gamers?

Daniel

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
So I checked on the backend and confirmed that the gamer version doesn't include the authorization to allow the web filter to work.  Even if you get the right files in there it won't work properly due to the keycode not having the authorization.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
So I checked on the backend and confirmed that the gamer version doesn't include the authorization to allow the web filter to work.  Even if you get the right files in there it won't work properly due to the keycode not having the authorization.
Really I am so confused then as I did a clean reinstall of the Gamer version and made sure WRData Folder was gone before reinstall and I got the Folders back and it works for me?????

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Ok, to add to the confusion, some of the older gamer keycodes have the web filter authorization, and the newer ones apparently don't.  I'm still trying to find someone here who can tell me if it is supposed to be one way or the other.  It's like a detective mystery 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Ok, to add to the confusion, some of the older gamer keycodes have the web filter authorization, and the newer ones apparently don't.  I'm still trying to find someone here who can tell me if it is supposed to be one way or the other.  It's like a detective mystery :)
I got my keycodes from Newegg.com on Sept 2nd, 2014 very odd indeed!
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Please let us know once a final decision on this matter has been taken, since this leave the gamer's antivirus at a disadvantage in regard to the regular av version. Also it would good to explicitly state this difference on the product's web page to avoid misunderstanding. I never thought the gamer's edition did not include that feature.
Userlevel 7
I must say, this has become perhaps the most interesting thread I have seen in a rather long time.  I eagerly await the end result as to the how's, the why's, and what it is supposed to be.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Just wait for the movie of the week version of the mystery! 🙂