Solved

Webroot is conflicting with Norton.

• 2 February 2015
  • 34 replies

Userlevel 1
I was told when I purchased Webroot that it would not conflict with Norton.  Well, it does.  I called and was told that it was a Norton problem.  Had I known I would not have purchased Webroot and that is why I asked the question.  
icon

Best answer by modela1 2 February 2015, 20:55

View original

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Is it Norton 2015 IS or just the AV? Can you explain the issue your having and can you check here to see is any Norton Files are being Monitored: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C10_SystemControl/CH10b_ControllingProcesses.htm

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 1
I was unable to start Norton Utilities to run my backup and it gave me theconflict error.  It is Norton 8504, 104 error and it wants to uninstall Webroot.   

I sent them a service request but all this takes a lot of time.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Can you set to ignore to remove WSA in Norton that what we tell other Norton users and there are some here? @ Also I did a search and I see it's a common error: https://www.google.com/search?q=Norton+8504&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=P6XPVLi_C-fksASwhYCYBA did you look to see if any Norton Files are being Monitored as I asked?

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 1
N360 is being monitored

Userlevel 1
Norton will not let me in without deleting Webroot

Userlevel 1
I would think that with so many Norton Utility users out there that Webroot would come up with some workaround.  I have tried a couple of combinations of installation orders. 
Userlevel 7
Hello Modela1, Welcome to the Webroot Community.

I have never run Norton 360 with WSA, But I have run NIS and NS with WSA without a problem. Have you tried to put WSA on Nortons Exclued list?

Userlevel 1
Hi ProTruckDriver

Norton will not let me in to make any changes without uninstalling Webroot.  I submitted a support request from Norton but have yet to hear.  I would like to keep them both because Norton backs up files plus does a few other things.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
N360 is being monitored

Can you Submit a Support Ticket and they will Whitelist any unknown files or Monitored files and follow what Dave posted above! Also you can set that file to Allow locally if you know if it's good for now until they Whitelist it.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 1
Can I shut down Webroot manually and give that a try?

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Can I shut down Webroot manually and give that a try?

Sure just Right Click on the Tray Icon and Click Shut Down Protection.

Daniel
Userlevel 1
Pardon my unfamiliarity with the terms, but is the Whitelist?
Userlevel 1
Could I shut down Webroot without uninstalling it and try to exclude it?  If so, how?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Pardon my unfamiliarity with the terms, but is the Whitelist?
With WSA  a file is Good, Bad or Unknown unlike other AV's it's either Good or Bad. Now when a file is being Monitored so WSA is keeping an eye on it and if deemed bad it can rollback to the pre-infection state see this short video: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-Education/What-Happens-if-Webroot-quot-Misses-quot-a-Virus/ta-p/10202 so in your case the Norton files are safe as far as you know but sometimes you have to contact support to Whitelist the file to make it Good or Bad then it's not unknown. See here the WIN Cloud: http://www.brightcloud.com/platform/webroot-intelligence-network.php

HTH,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Could I shut down Webroot without uninstalling it and try to exclude it?  If so, how?
You should be able to if you know where Webroot EXE is? C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe and add that to Norton's exclusion list.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Shut down Webroot like TripleHelix posted. Then go into Norton and find the settings like I posted. Click configure in Norton both for Sonar and Scans > Add Folders > C: Drive (Your Hard  Drive) > Programs and Folders. Add Webroot Folder.
Userlevel 1
The Webroot options are totally new.  I could not find out where to shut it down.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Go here under Advance Settings and Make sure the last box is checked in the picture and save then go to the Tray Icon to Shut Down Protection. http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C13_Settings/CH13a_SettingInstallPreferences.htm

Daniel 

Userlevel 1
I do not see these options under advanced settings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
See here and click on the little Cog:

Then Right Click on the Tray Icon down by the Clock

and Shut Down Protection!

Userlevel 1
I appreciate your patience, but my menu items look different.  Allow manual shutdown is checked under installation,  The other options do not show up.

Userlevel 1
I do not see a tray icon.  

Userlevel 7
I have to be leaving for a Doc appointment in about 10 minutes. I know @ was running Norton Security with Backup and WSA. He may have run Norton 360?? Maybe he can chime in here when he comes online. See ya in a few hours. 😃
Userlevel 1
Hope nothing serious.  Thanks for the help. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I do not see a tray icon.  

Make sure it's checked and save!