Solved

Webroot says Core Temp has malware?

I recently downloaded Core Temp to monitor my CPU more closely, and Webroot always says it has malware. There are a lot of other people who download this with no problems, and I was just wondering if I should be concerned, or if Webroot is just giving me a false positive.
icon

Best answer by TylerM 23 July 2014, 23:38

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
My problem seems to be fixed, And to everyone that helped, Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! :D
Glad to hear it! Thanks for letting us know.

You are very welcome,  thats what its all about here in the community, we share our experiences and help eachother out.

We hope you will come back often and post!

Beth
My problem seems to be fixed, And to everyone that helped, Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! :D
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
it says "SecureAnywhere has identified threats on your system. It will be able to remove these threats without harming your files."

and then:

Remove: coretemp.exe in c:userscalvindownloads

Infection: Pua.Safe.Installer

EDIT: Nic says it has been has been approved, so i think the problem may be solved.
Yes, he approved it and you got the same message as Solly.
And it looks like the situation has been taken care of , thank you TylerM!

There is a link to BrightCloud  below my signature CalvinD26 if you ever want to check a website out.

Beth
Userlevel 7
Badge +24
  • I have fixed this. You should be able to restore from quarantine and it will no longer be detected
Userlevel 7
Hi CalvinD26

Now that is very interesting as I advanced through the Web Threat Shield warning to download the installer and I am not getting a peep from WSA...even when I right click and select 'Scan with Webroot'...I am therefore wondering if yo uhave been victim of a redirect given that I am downloadng from the manufacturer's website using the main downlaod link on the main web page.

Go figure that? :S
it says "SecureAnywhere has identified threats on your system. It will be able to remove these threats without harming your files."

and then:

Remove: coretemp.exe in c:userscalvindownloads

Infection: Pua.Safe.Installer

EDIT: Nic says it has been has been approved, so i think the problem may be solved.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The image is approved now, so you should be able to see it.
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:

Sorry, we cant see your image until it is approved by a moderator.

Keep coming back and share your experiences, when you reach  Community Guide rank you will be able to bypass the approval. Take a look at the VIP orogram.

Could you please tell us what it says?

Beth

Userlevel 6
Welcome to the community CalvinD26 !

Nic. I think you are right!

Userlevel 7
Hi CalvinD26

Welcome to the COmmunity Forums.

Is this what you are seeing:

If that is it then it is telling you that there is an issue with the website that you are being directed to when you attempt to use the download link from the Core Temp author's website.  That could be the false positive, i.e. the Web Threat Sheild determination rather than the actual download?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It might be just a false positive then.  Let me ping one of the threat researchers to make a determination.  I was thinking you might have been downloading it from download.com or one of the other sites that has turned to the darks side and bundles in toolbars and other yucky stuff. 
I downloaded it from Core Temps website. http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ (not sure if that will link you or not)

I have had Webroot remove it for now, but im using Core Temp for Rainmeter now and it would be great to see my CPU temps :D

If i cant download it, thats fine, i was just kind of wondering if anyone else has this problem. :8
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I recently downloaded Core Temp to monitor my CPU more closely, and Webroot always says it has malware. There are a lot of other people who download this with no problems, and I was just wondering if I should be concerned, or if Webroot is just giving me a false positive.
It could be a false positive, or it could be that the download has some malware or PUA associated with it.  Where did you download it from?  Best bet is to contact support who can give you a determination if you aren't sure:
https://www.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp