Webroot secure anywhere has hijacked my computer.

• 27 August 2015
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I'm new around here but finally came to this forum after Webroot secure anywhere hijacked my PC. My subscription has expired but webroot secure anywhere has continued to track malicious software on my computer. Today it found something and every ten seconds it pulls me out of my tab with a pop up asking me how to deal with it. Naturally I can't afford webroot at the moment so I'm forced to click clean up later, however by later it apparently means to keep badgering you until you remove it. I can't uninstall webroot because I cant get it to stop running and I cant do anything on my computer because this stupid pop up keeps interupting me.

My questions are: 1 What separates this programm from a the malicious ones it's designed to protect it's users from? I can't uninstall it and it keeps indirectly pressuring me to pay for something I cant afford to reclaim access to my computer. & 2. How do I get it to stop without caving in to paying to renew it?

Thanks in advance, "P"

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

First of all may I ask you what OS are you running and if you have a Windows PC or a Mac? if Windows PC look below for instructions. I assume you have gone to All Programs/Webroot/Tools/ Uninstall? If a Mac lef me know.

If you are having trouble uninstalling WSA you should try booting up in Safe Mode with Networking and then trying to run the uninstaller.  That sometimes resolves the problem.

Alternatively, you could also in Safe Mode, run the uninstaller manually following the instructions below depending on which version of Windows you are running:

For Windows Vista and Windows 7:
  1. Open the Start menu by clicking the Start icon.  
  2. Type the following into the Start Search bar, exactly as it appears below.  Note: This path is for the default location. If you installed the program elsewhere, be sure to modify the path accordingly. "C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe" –uninstall  
  3. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.  
  4. When prompted to uninstall, click Yes.

For Windows 8 & 8.1:
  1. Move your cursor to the bottom right of the screen to open the Charm Bar menu.  
  2. Click Search, then type the following into the Start Search bar, exactly as it appears below. Note: This path is for the default location. If you installed the program elsewhere, be sure to modify the path accordingly. "C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe" –uninstall  
  3. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.  
  4. When prompted to uninstall, click Yes.
Please note that it is best that you run the uninstaller from a command prompt that has elevated or administrator privileges.

To answer your question here " 1 What separates this programm from a the malicious ones it's designed to protect it's users from?"

To be honest I am not sure what you are asking?

Anyways I hope this helps?