6 year subscription cancelled after 1 year

Userlevel 3
I used ABC Repair Tech last Nov. 2015 to fix my computer after a crash.  I bought a 6 year Webroot subscription and it was cancelled today (Nov. 4, 2016) one year later.  I believe both that company and Webroot probably were a scam. Is there a way to check on this from your side?  How important is it to remove the Webroot Secure Anywhere program from my computer today in case they still have ability to crash my computer.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Hi joangolfing and welcome to the Community. I can assure you that Webroot is a legitimate company and you have come to the right place to have it addressed. As far as ABC Repair Tech being legit I am unable to answer that. Is it a local business or was it an on-line repair job?
I likely think that you were sold a bill of goods regarding the 6 year subscription!
If you do indeed have Webroot installed you will have a legit keycode found by opening your Webroot application from the taskbar/click on MyAccount and you will find your keycode and the product name and version number. Armed with this information you should open a support ticket and it will be sorted out for you.
https://www.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi @,

May I also add that one can call Webroot Support here. Because @ is correct in that you need to check this subscription out for legitimacy. 

1-866-612-4268
Mon-Fri 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM

https://www.webroot.com/us/en/company/contact-us

Webroot has been protecting my computer for years and I am about to renew it again. I wouldn't be inclined to refer to Webroot as a scam. If you look at Webroot Website you may find that they don't offer a 6 year subscription.
Go back to ABC Repair Tech and question how they were able to offer you a 6 year service when in fact Webroot doesn't even offer one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I spoke directly with a Webroot sales agent using the phone number @ posted.  Press 1 for sales...Press 2 for Tech Support.  They have more renewal options than those posted on their website.  I was able to purchase a 3.5 year subscription at that time for 3 PCs at a very good rate.  Sales added my days to my existing time as we spoke over the phone and I was actually able to see the increase in subscription time before we hung up.  Six years could possibly be a sales option by now.  Sales can tell you if it's a legitimate keycode in a matter of seconds.  Having said this, I would never purchase or renew except directly from Webroot Sales.:D
Userlevel 3
Thanks for the phone number for Webroot.  I talked with them and found that I was definitely scammed by ABC Repair Tech since my Key Code was grayed out except for the first 4 digits.

They were able to help me uninstall Webroot Secure Anywhere from my computer. 

I will alert my bank and see what money they can recover.  There probably is little I can do.  Does anyone here have any information about ABC Repair Tech that might help me locate them. I sent an email to: customersupport@abcrepairtech.com
My email was NOT sent back to me undeliverable.  So I have a chance they may respond to me.
 Hi joangolfing,

According to their website their number is 844-465-4888. But I tried calling it and got a weird busy signal. Definitely sound like scammers. :@

Userlevel 3
Yes, I tried the number too.  Disconnected.  I'm working with my bank and Visa might have some ability to track them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Their address on the website is in London UK, here's the information from Companies House in the UK:-
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09435239 it sems to be run by one person who lives in Costa Rica!! :S
Userlevel 3
Thanks, I passed that information on to my Bank.
I hope you are successful in recovering your money. In the future, always... ( ALWAYS ) deal directly with the company who is offering a product. To do otherwise, is like handing over your car and house keys to a complete stranger. Best of luck to you.
Userlevel 3
I was able to email the UK company. I got a response that they were looking at my issue and would get back to me.  I will be cautious.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Please do let us know if , when and what the response is............................and do be extra cautious!
Userlevel 3
My bank can't help me because they have a 90 day limit for reporting these cases.  I haven't received anything back from the UK company I emailed last week (except that they got my email message).  I assume this is the end of it for me.  Thanks for your help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Joangolfing,

You are most welcome.

i am so very sorry that this happened to you and that you have lost your money over these bad guys. 

Sorry we couldnt help you out more...:(