Help me understand why this is? Is this bad garbage collection? Poor programming? The other competing softwares in this domain have a footprint of FAR less than this. My own Webroot which has been installed for about 3 months managed to grow its DB files to a gargantuan 60GB. That is absurd by any metric you measure by.
Go to an IT Enterprise manager and attempt to sell this product to a corporation or business where it is writing gigabytes of files onto a local PC on a daily/weekly basis. Why is this still an issue when I see threads dating back years regarding this EXACT problem. This is 100% not OK and I would have never purchased this software if I had known I would have to 'babysit' its Program Data directory.
Best answer by NicCrockettView original
Thank you for the prompt response. I deleted the entire DB file set at this point so I don't have much to provide. 😕 But if this happens again, I will open a support ticket about it for sure. As I said, this appears to happen at least to some users because there were multiple google hits about this exact problem when I searched about it. I will follow up w/ support if I see this behavior again in the next few days.
This is a normal WRData Folder and nice and clean! It's also normal for the db.number.db files if you use not well known programs as WSA will monitor said programs until they get whitelisted in the Webroot Cloud Database so you can do a scan and save a scan log and if you see more than 20 [u] files then it's best to contact Webroot Support and ask them to whitelist your unknown files which will help in keeping the db files at a minimum.
Example [u] means unknown to the Webroot Cloud Database and [g] means known good to the Webroot Cloud Database.
Some legitimate files are not included in this log
[u] E:\Security Programs Folder\VoodooShield Folder\VS V5\InstallVoodooShield500.exe [SHA256: A9E27A98AB5787B5FA8FA2044D063312846B0CD02EF361ED61C71A4715D64C40] [MD5: 67EE5193A37F37FF16143E2BB9FBBCD5] [Flags: 00081001.19159]
[u] C:\Users\Daniel\OneDrive\Files\InstallVoodooShield500.exe [SHA256: A9E27A98AB5787B5FA8FA2044D063312846B0CD02EF361ED61C71A4715D64C40] [MD5: 67EE5193A37F37FF16143E2BB9FBBCD5] [Flags: 00081001.19159]
[u] E:\Security Programs Folder\Sandboxie Folder\SandboxieInstallv5.30.exe [SHA256: 7B131A6B9FCFC8581749EACCD8BD15E9628BCFE94FE9E90F143DAE1416E82D7F] [MD5: 6B13A590F39D7354E04F13706EBB7EF1] [Flags: 00001000.19501]
[u] C:\Users\Daniel\OneDrive\Files\SandboxieInstallv5.30.exe [SHA256: 7B131A6B9FCFC8581749EACCD8BD15E9628BCFE94FE9E90F143DAE1416E82D7F] [MD5: 6B13A590F39D7354E04F13706EBB7EF1] [Flags: 00001000.19501]
[u] E:\Downloaded Programs & Drivers Folder\Howard Desktop Email App Folder\HowardSetupv1.65.exe [SHA256: F3D804EC5AE924A1C2270B7171D1F03F0F35B8CF1FA6F6C74A4BD926A44AA452] [MD5: A7A8D9BAA22173C5567C211A23BF8B4D] [Flags: 00080800.19150]
[u] C:\Users\Daniel\OneDrive\Files\HowardSetupv1.65.exe [SHA256: F3D804EC5AE924A1C2270B7171D1F03F0F35B8CF1FA6F6C74A4BD926A44AA452] [MD5: A7A8D9BAA22173C5567C211A23BF8B4D] [Flags: 00080800.19150]
[u] E:\Security Programs Folder\AOMEI Backupper Pro Folder\ABProv4.6.3.exe [SHA256: 19F818A6A9646EA3D70543295ED71C7DE18E0BD18006C8BC0E9A9BFB877932BA] [MD5: 1D07D6DE2170A0CDBE845D7031938D29] [Flags: 00001000.19256]
[u] C:\Users\Daniel\OneDrive\Files\ABProv4.6.3.exe [SHA256: 19F818A6A9646EA3D70543295ED71C7DE18E0BD18006C8BC0E9A9BFB877932BA] [MD5: 1D07D6DE2170A0CDBE845D7031938D29] [Flags: 00001000.19256]
Webroot House Cleaning
And it was supposed to cleanup after itself over time: https://community.webroot.com/home-product-releases-27/pc-release-notes-8-0-4-42-71323#M349
Even more info: https://community.webroot.com/webroot-secureanywhere-internet-security-plus-13/wrdata-folder-778#post1206
It's even worse on machines used by software developers, due to the constantly changing executables & dlls they are using and (trying) to test. I did speak to Webroot support who provided a solution but in practice it's a massive waste of time; surely Webroot should just be cleaning up after itself better to prevent this problem occuring in the first place? Especially as the problem has existed for literally years.
Lara, it's not as if it's new. People have been complaining about this (lack of house-cleaning) problem for ages. The same answer as above keeps coming back. Monotonously so. Then...nothing happens. We've got rather used to this.
Fortunately it doesn't affect me as I don't currently use little known apps.
This is a bad weakness of Webroot and yet, at the same time (believe it or not!), a function of its superiority as an AV. Read this post I wrote a couple of years ago, which explains how this is so (read particularly paragraph 1 from sentence 3 onwards).
I just wish the developers would find a way to getting round to sorting out this house-cleaning problem.
EXACTLY!! This is how mine looked but the .db files were absolutely massive Some were in the gigabyte range and most were dozens or hundred of megs. 😕 Not sure what causes that but like I said I was a bit shocked at having a 60GB install footprint for an AV/Security program. :-)
p.s. I was a little gruff in my OP, but overall, I actually really like this software. Memory wise it isn't very hungry and it has caught some sketchy apps time & again. It is simple and straightforward so only the massive file sizes were my concern.