Solved

64 bit support

Userlevel 4
Badge +7
  • New Voice
  • 29 replies
Running Webroot Complete with Windows 8 Pro 64 bit.

I just noticed that Task Manager shows 2 Webroot processes running (WRSA and WRSVC) and both are described as 32 bit. I thought Webroot had native 64 bit support.

Can someone explain this?
icon

Best answer by Rakanisheu Retired 6 January 2014, 10:33

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Running Webroot Complete with Windows 8 Pro 64 bit.

I just noticed that Task Manager shows 2 Webroot processes running (WRSA and WRSVC) and both are described as 32 bit. I though Webroot had native 64 bit support.

Can someone explain this?
Hello DAF that is correct it doesn't matter that it shows the processes as 32bit as you are completely secure and is a native 64 bit supported as I use it on Win 7 x64 and a Webroot Staff member will reply with a more detailed answer tomorrow during the day MDT time.

HTH,

Daniel

Userlevel 4
Badge +7
Thanks! This 32 bit / 64 bit thing gets confusing.
I'll wait for the "its technical" explanation tomorrow:D
Userlevel 7
You're correct to point out it's a 32bit process.  However, the driver is 64bit.  So the 32bit processes communicate with the 64bit driver, and the level of protection is equivalent to running the 64bit process natively.  The word from development regarding not building a 64bit process is that there would be no benefit in doing it since the level of protection would be unchanged.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
Thank you Jim!

I think I understand now.
Hi Guys,

I've read the responses but would like to understand how webroot will scan beyond 4gb RAM? Without getting into the detail, if the "driver" is 64bit and the "calling process?", visible in Task Manager is 32bit, how would this be achieved when the calling process is not capable of adressing the remaining memory?

Hope my question kind of makes sense.

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Hello Magnum and welcome to the Webroot Community!

I wanted to give you a hello even though I don't have the answer for that one.  I think @ might though, so hopefully he is still around or will be a little later 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi Guys,

I've read the responses but would like to understand how webroot will scan beyond 4gb RAM? Without getting into the detail, if the "driver" is 64bit and the "calling process?", visible in Task Manager is 32bit, how would this be achieved when the calling process is not capable of adressing the remaining memory?

Hope my question kind of makes sense.

Thanks.
Hello Magnum and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

WSA does read all running processes in memory but your Question is kind of hard to understand but I hope this info will help you? If not try to explain what your thinking of. Like myself I have 16GB of RAM but only using 3GB at the moment the Memory sucker Firefox is still eating memory but I have lot's to run my Virtual Machines that I have 2GB allocated for each VM.

C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe
or C:Program Files (x86)WebrootWRSA.exe
- This loads both as a system service and as a user service.  That's why you typically see two of them if you open task manager.  This is also your user interface.

C:WindowsSystem32WRusr.dll and

C:WindowsSysWow64WRusr.dll if your runing 64bit OS so 2 drivers.

- This loads for user mode analysis.  It's responsible for WRSA running as a user mode service.  WRSA will be loaded equally propotionately to the number of user profiles that are loaded because of this file.

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Installation-Folder-and-File-Locations/ta-p/3766#.UshnULRlfK0

HTH,

TH

Userlevel 3
Since the driver is 64bit it will scan over the 4gb threshold of 32bit, I believe that is what you was wanting to know correct magnum? It's something I questioned myself but did alot of research into and found that to be the answer, alot of programs do that as to provide a way to be both 32bit and 64bit capable without needing two different installers, as of it can't install the driver it will then pull down the 32bit ones
Hey Justin,

Yes thanks, this answers my question.

Much Appreciated.
Userlevel 7
A bit late to the party but its worth noting that nearly all malware is native 32bit very few pieces of 64bit malware are out in the wild. 64bit Windows 7 is also a little more secure than 32bit Windows 7 (due to Patchguard - although it has been bypassed) and the numbers from Microsoft back this up. 
Userlevel 3
Now that I didn't think of but see it to be true just never noticed it, thank you for that