• 29 replies

Show first post

29 replies

Userlevel 7

@ wrote:
I will turn both windows firewall and WSA firewall on
That's wise and highly recommended ;)

@ wrote:
Like I said, seems the WSA firewall outbound rule have higher priority then windows outbound firewall rule.
As far as I know that's more less correct. That explains what you have observed with IE. Even though Windows firewall was active IE was blocked because IE process was set to Block in WSA firewall.

BTW, Windows outbound rules are set to allow everything unless explicitly blocked.
Hi,

I will turn both windows firewall and WSA firewall on, but I'd like to know how the rule been applied to OS.
May I know if there any priority between WSA firewall and windows outbound firewall?
Like I said, seems the WSA firewall outbound rule have higher priority then windows outbound firewall rule.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello liasnic and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.

Also the Online Help File says the same as pegas so you should run both together.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Hello liasnic and welcome on the Webroot Community Forum.

Foremost there is necessary to understand that the Windows firewall is very powerfull for inbound connections. Yes you can also set outbound rules but it is not so simple task. That's where WSA firewall stands up and provides strong protection. Therefore you shouldn't rely just on the Windows firewall or WSA firewall. They needs to be run together unless you are using a thrid party firewall. Having them run along you have very strong firewall where Windows controls inbound and WSA outbound connections.

Here's what the leader of development team said:
"The only "help" that WSA receives from the Windows firewall is inbound protection. There is only really one way to write an inbound firewall and the Windows firewall covers it off perfectly fine. No third party firewall is going to be more effective so we instead put our focus in other areas where we could actually make new innovations."