Solved

About WSA firewall compatible with windows firewall

• 21 November 2012
  • 29 replies

Hi,

I have a question about the WSA firewall.
It is declared that WSA firewall need windows firewall to work, it is an added protection.
However, when I set the WSA firewall with block one process called "iexplorer.exe" which is ie browser.
And then I set the windows firewall to allow the connection for "iexplorer.exe".
The result is blocking the internet for browser.  
Further more when I turned off the windows firewall, WSA pops out an dialog to warn me. 
I clicked "No" for not activate the windows firewall, and WSA firewall is still open.
In this situation, I still can't use IE to surf the internet.

The question is, is WSA firewall independent with windows firewall?
If no, why suggest to open windows firewall?
If yes, why I turned off the windows firewall, and WSA firewall still works?

I check the previous discussions as well, but it didn't mention about the "independent" or "priority"
If I turned off the windows firewall( because setting windows firewall rule is so inconvenient)
Only rely on WSA firewall, what is the risk for outbound and inbound respectively?

Thank you.
icon

Best answer by pegas 21 November 2012, 11:43

View original

29 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
This is normal for Windows 8 see quote from https:///t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/212, the V.P. of Development.

This is by design on Windows 8 as the firewall controls are somewhat limited by the OS. We'll be extending this further but the OS does a very good job at firewall by itself.
HTH,

TH
Windows 7 fine...windows 8 not showing
@ wrote:
This is normal for Windows 8 see quote from , the V.P. of Development.

This is by design on Windows 8 as the firewall controls are somewhat limited by the OS. We'll be extending this further but the OS does a very good job at firewall by itself.
HTH,

TH

It is almost a year later, and this critical feature is not added.  Why?  There are several programs that I use and do not want to access the internet!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
You can via Windows Firewall but be sure that WSA's Firewall will block malware calling out if infected and I have not heard anything more about expanding this at all as Windows 8.1 Firewall does a great job and Microsoft made it to be this way so why duplicate it that's all the other vendors are doing so it's like make up in a sense.

TH