After several webroot scans I still have "ad by search defense" pop ups. Any suggestions?

• 24 January 2015
  • 1 reply

I've run multiple webroot scans, but I still have problems with "ad by search defense" pop ups?  Does it take time for the software to catch all spyware, or is this a particulary difficult one to eradicate?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi Mary23

Welcome to the Community Forums.

What yo uare describing and indeed naming is a non-malware program we commonly refer to as a PUA or Potentially Unwanted Program.

As you have already discovered these are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-us, redirect your browser home page, and other behaviour that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools. But they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.

The key to avoiding them is to make sure that when downloading apps one does so from the author's own website or one that they have recommended, and not 3rd party downloading site.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behaviour that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see this link for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

If you feel or consider yourself technically proficient then you can try these steps to remove it from your system.

However, if that does not work or you do not feel technically capable then the best thing to do is to Open a Support Ticket & ask Webroot Support to take a look and remove search defense for you.  There is NO CHARGE for this for valid WSA license holder.

I hope that clarifies things for you?  If not then please post back.

Regards, Baldrick