After updating firefox says webroot filtering agent is disabled because it cannot be verified

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I updated firefox browser this morning and it disabled the webroot filtering agent. Any suggestions?

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi ?,

I just updated FF as well to see if I would have the same issue. All my Webroot Extentsions are disabled too. Strange. I'll see if I can get some help. 

? or ? or maybe ? do you know what's going on? I know there was an issue with the Beta Webfilter and I'm not sure what can be done here. I've done a System Restore and I'm back to FF v39.3. My WR Extensions are enabled again. FF v40. wants these WR exentsions to be verified?

EDITED: Sorry ? Please look here at this thread

I think submitting a Support Ticket so that they are aware of this issue?

Kind Regards,
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Apparently Firefox has followed Chrome's lead and is now disabling any extension that isn't authenticated by them. We're working on getting ours approved, but in the meantime Firefox should let you re-enable them if you just skip past the warning message telling you that this isn't an authorized extension.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Nic,

I tried to enable them and it's a no go..So it's a wait and see I suppose.:@

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
There should be a setting to re-enable them somewhere. I found this site that has some instructions for removing the check. I haven't used this site before, so as always, use at your own risk :)

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-fix-broken-firefox-extensions-and-make-them-compatible-with-new-version/
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
There should be a setting to re-enable them somewhere. I found this site that has some instructions for removing the check. I haven't used this site before, so as always, use at your own risk :)

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-fix-broken-firefox-extensions-and-make-them-compatible-with-new-version/
Great I'll check it out!

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Oddly enough, I updated FireFox last night, and my Password Manager came back already enabled.  It DOES give the warning about not being verified, but it is enabled.

One other problem, however, is that I find the Filter Extension is fully missing.  ?, can you refresh my memory as to how to reenable this for me?  I tried the old method of going to C:/Program Data/WRData/PKG/Chrome in dropping the .crx file into Firefox, but it told me that the file is corrupt and cannot be used.  GRR.

I know the Filter Extension was there and working, FROM the same .crx file as I had manually updated that BEFORE  I updated Firefox itself.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi ?,

I followed these instructions here back when I needed to install the Webfilter before awhile back.. it does happen to get corrupt if it's not done correctly I think. I can't find those instructions you are asking for.:@

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Unofficial-Webroot-filtering-extension-in-Palemoon-Unofficial/ta-p/142217

And did you refer to ? post from the other day? 

Not sure if this is what you are looking for?

Sorry David...
Userlevel 7
Thank you!  
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Looks like random behaviour by Firefox. I updated yesterday and all my extensions are working as before but half of them (including WR's filter extesion) give the message about not being verified.

I gather from reading about another company's extension, that it can be quite a struggle to get the FF verification, as there can be a lot of toing and froing before they are satisfied.
Userlevel 4
Hi Community,

and thx to ?! Seems you have found the right workaround moving back to an older version of FF.
In the release note of FF it say's "Remove support for distribution/bundles." which actually causes our and other extensions not to work porperly. After looking at Mozilla dev blog today we have seen that there are thoughts of enforcing this feature on EST (Enterprise Firefox) starting from version 41.0 instead of version 45 .0 as earlier suggested. So we all will have to stay tuned until Mozilla provieds us with new information, but meanwhile we are working on solution getting our software running without that fix from Mozilla.

Here you can find the realease notes for FF v40.1

Cheers,
Peter
Both my WSA Beta machine and my WSA Consumer Version machine have now updated to FF 40.0.2 (delay in getting the FF updates here in Northern Europe?). My WSA Consumer machine is still showing the checkmarks in FF Google searches (but with the warning "Proceed with caution" etc about the Web filter extension) but my WSA Beta machine is no longer showing any checkmarks.

EDIT: I don't particularly want to fiddle with SysRestore to go back to an earlier version of FF and anyway it's no big drama, so I'll wait for a Webroot and/or FF resolution to this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +37
Dear ?

Could you please update users Any time webroot toolbar & Webroot filtering extension add on compatible ( sign ) with firefox 40 ?

Thank You .
Amir

Hello,
The "Proceed with caution" should have no effect on functionality. 

Webroot has to submit digital signature to Mozilla for verification.
Norton's already shown "Proceed with caution" message has been satisfied and removed by Mozilla signature verification and subsequent Norton patch. 

If this is old info...please excuse.  But, Lithium platform does not show date.  Wednesday is useless.
Firefox Stable and Beta versions -- starting with Firefox 42 -- will only accept signed add-ons during installation and block the installation of unsigned add-ons at this point. 
EDIT: < url to 3rd party side snipped as contrary to Community Guidelines>; Baldrick
This digital signature mandate is also being implemented for current add-ons; after the November 3rd Firefox release (version 42), these will no longer work if they do not have a digital signature.

EDIT: < url to 3rd party side snipped as contrary to Community Guidelines>; Baldrick
Userlevel 4
Hi ?

and thx for your comment. Actually we proceed digital signature to Mozilla last week so the process is in progress. As soon as we get verifiied the extension should be available & working in FF. Awaiting Mozilla to get this done in next days.

Cheers,
Peter 
@ wrote:
Hi @

and thx for your comment. Actually we proceed digital signature to Mozilla last week so the process is in progress. As soon as we get verifiied the extension should be available & working in FF. Awaiting Mozilla to get this done in next days.

Cheers,
Peter 
Please explain >
 I did not post link to third party software.  As per Guidelines:
Links to third-party security vendors will be removed.

I posted supporting documention for quotes.

Why were links removed.  Please clarify how removed links violated the goals of the Community:
The Webroot Community is monitored by Webroot’s Community moderators (each, a "Moderator").  Webroot and its Moderators reserve, at their sole discretion, the right to choose what content is appropriate, and to remove content, including, but not limited to, comments that do not further the goals of the Community.

Apparently, Baldrick ranked member has moderator powers.  Did posted links violate Guidelines (please explain) or did Baldrick over step.

Please clarify <<extension should be available & working in FF>>
The absence of verified digital signature has not broken any extensions on my machines. 
Nor, any extensions on machines I monitor. 
Are you stating the absence of verified digital signature broke WSA extension..?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12
Has this issue been addressed so we can turn back on plugin auto updates?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The auto-update shouldn't try to install a new version yet, until we get the extension approved. If it does auto-update, let me know.