Solved

Allowing an AutoHotKey script to run in browsers

• 3 January 2013
  • 15 replies

I use a program called AutoHotKey that allows me, through a script, to type certain diacritical characters using hotstrings (so something like a'' will automatically change into an a-with-acute-accent). Webroot, however, blocks the script from working in browsers like Chrome, which is very unfortunate. Is there some way I can change the settings of Webroot to allow this script/program to function inside browsers?
icon

Best answer by JimM 8 January 2013, 17:26

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Please try changing AutoHotKey to allowed in the Protected Applications List in the Identity Shield settings.  If it's not in that list, you can try adding it and setting it to Allow to see if that helps.  This is more than likely going to be an issue either with the Idenity Shield or the Web Threat Shield.  If disabling one or the other helps, that would be good information to update your support ticket with, which I see you've already opened.  An agent should be getting back to you shortly via that system as well.
Hi, I have exactly the same problem and adding autohotkey to allowed applications didn't help. Only by disabling the identity shield I can use my favorite keyboard shortcuts in firefox.

Also another firefox issue: I use the "Peers" addon (can be found here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/peers-instant-search/) Instant Search for Firefox. Preview Google and Yahoo search results and suggestions in your Locationbar and Searchbar which doesn't work if firefox addon is enabled. How can I change that?
Userlevel 7
The Webroot Firefox add-on is for Password Management functionality only.  No other functions are routed through it, and it does not interact with other add-ons.  It seems unlikely that there is a conflict taking place there specifically.  However, based on what that add-on does, it seems possible there could be an interaction taking place with a different function of the program.

Regarding AutoHotKey, I see two cases being fielded in the support system on that topic.  It appears for both other customers reporting the issue that there was no reply back after suggesting that they change AutoHotKey to Allow.  This is generally indicative that the suggestion helped them.  Are you certain you changed the correct executable to an Allow setting, and are you certain you did this in Identity & Privacy -> Identity Shield -> View/Edit Protected Applications?  There are other areas in the program where it can appear you're making the same type of change but in fact are making a different one, such as quarantine or the firewall.  In the event you're certain you've made that change, Support is going to need to investigate further.  Please contact support for additional troubleshooting suggestions.
JimM thanks for replying.

Are you certain you changed the correct executable to an Allow setting, and are you certain you did this in Identity & Privacy -> Identity Shield -> View/Edit Protected Applications?

Yes, I think I allowed the correct executable, however please have a look. Actually with the identity shield enabled, the autohotkey scripts don't work in any other application like text editors (not only browsers).

Userlevel 7
That's the file, and you're in the right place.

An issue like this really needs to be communicated to Support to facilitate a proper investigation, but I'll try to provide what guidance I can.  I'd encourage users with this issue to go through Support however.

It's possible that the AutoHotKey issue you're experiencing is dependent on what you're doing with it.  If, for instance, AutoHotKey is accessing protected credentials and functioning as a password manager, perhaps unchecking "Prevent programs from accessing protected credentials" in the Identity Shield settings might help.  If so, that would be indicative of Webroot behaving as designed in this situation. 

Another scenario in which it might be behaving as designed is that maybe this is happening specifically within a browser because that browser is protected in certain ways that you may not want in your case.  For instance, if you open up View/Edit Protected Websites in the Identity Shield, you'll see settings for HTTPS and HTTP sites.  You'll notice that when it's set on Maximum, there is an indicator that it "Provides maximum protection of user data, but blocks accessibility utilities."  AutoHotKey can be used as an accessibility utility, so one of the settings could be at issue.  My suggestion here would be to first see if setting it to None helps.  If so, re-add the shields one by one until you discover which one is causing your particular issue.  That would be the self-help solution if your particular problem is due to settings in that area of the program.  Support would likely benefit from taking a look at your script to approach your case in a more targetted manner.

Or it's possible it's not dependent on what AutoHotKey is doing and is acting up regardless.  You could test that by running an innocuous script that enters some text into NotePad when you hit one of the keys on your keyboard.  In which case, barring a different conclusion from Support, this issue would be documented, reproduced, and turned over to Development for further review at that point.

I hope this information is helpful!
Userlevel 7
It's very likely that some of the issues you've been experiencing have been rectified by the new build - 8.0.2.105.

A notable note in the release notes:

Hopefully that helps!  :)  Please let us know if you're still having trouble or not and whether you opened up that suggested support case.
Well thanks for replying but the link you posted is just a list of changes. I am too busy to search for long time where to get the new release. Please P.M. me a link to try it, thanks.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Well thanks for replying but the link you posted is just a list of changes. I am too busy to search for long time where to get the new release. Please P.M. me a link to try it, thanks.
Mike, here's.
Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately autohotkey text replacements still do not work if the window is protected (lock on the tray icon)
Four *MONTHS* later and WebRoot is still just as buggy as ever.

We *STILL* can't use simple/safe tools like AutoHotKey with WebRoot... .without doing some "magic" setting that is top-secret.

Ugh.  Why?

Where in the world is the "allow me to use a simple hot-key program that I want"???

Needless to say... we are VERY sorry we spent the money on WebRoot 2013.  It hinders everything we try to legally do.

Userlevel 7
Hi,
When you have two programs that are both set to intercept keyboard activity and then pass it to the operating system, there is some chance that they will conflict. The Identity Shield protects from keyloggers in part by blocking that keystroke interception in programs that are untrusted. There are a lot of "autohotkey"-type programs out there, and when they get updated, we can flag them as good in our system so the Identity Shield knows how to properly handle them.

I would suggest the following:
1. Contact Support - This will allow us to whitelist any files needing to be whitelisted from that scripting program. When you contact support, we can see a list of the MD5 values associated with the unknown files on your system. Then it's a simple matter of whitelisting those specific MD5's, where appropriate.

2. In the short term, configure hotkeys that use "CTRL." Holding down CTRL should bypass the issue.

Please let us know when your issue is resolved by support. 🙂
today I tried new version of WSA and experienced same bug with autohotkey text abreviations

then I disabled web shield, it worked, then enabled it and somehow it now works now, firefox can receive text abreviations from autohotkey. it seems a temporary solution that is working so far, in case someone interested
I'm having the same problem:  After installing Webroot, AutoHotKey did not work in Chrome browsr or Internet Explorer.  I fixed it by disabling the whole Identity Shield.  Putting autohokey.exe in the allowed applications did not work.  But now I don't have the benefit of the Identity Shield.  Is there any other workaround?  Thanks.  David

@ wrote:
I use a program called AutoHotKey that allows me, through a script, to type certain diacritical characters using hotstrings (so something like a'' will automatically change into an a-with-acute-accent). Webroot, however, blocks the script from working in browsers like Chrome, which is very unfortunate. Is there some way I can change the settings of Webroot to allow this script/program to function inside browsers?

I was able to correct the problem by disabling the Identity Shield.  I looked for "View/Edit Protected Websites" in the Identity Shield, but couldn't find it.  I have version 8.0.8.76 of Webroot SecureAnywhere Internet Security Complete 2015.  I am still looking for a way to use the Identity Shield AND AutoHotKey.

@ wrote:

Another scenario in which it might be behaving as designed is that maybe this is happening specifically within a browser because that browser is protected in certain ways that you may not want in your case.  For instance, if you open up View/Edit Protected Websites in the Identity Shield...

Hi, I am running autohotkey with identity shield enabled, to use it just go to identity shield settings and allow and firefox, as follows: