Solved

Backup

• 10 September 2012
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
just a coupla things...people have no idea what back up means.  it's not their fault.  i submit if you ever tried using Micosoft's back-up for a system backup..fugetabout it.  that leaves purchasing some software that is just as cryptic as Microsoft's.  If you subscribe to a securtiy program online..you might have some "complimentary" backup software albeit so proprietary that should a catastrophic event occur, the software is virtually useless.  most of the units now have all that stuff on a partition...but if you lose the drive...that partition is about as usefull as **bleep** on a bull.  There is no sense, other than the commercial greed, for keeping people so destitute in backing up their systems with simple, easy to use, back up software, and it ought to be FREE.  why can't some company be a big ole fan on the people who buy their product and offer a damned universal backup product?  Lose your hard drive?>  Got your dvd's, cd's that you made with XYZ brand's backup utility....no worries...replace the drive....stick your discs in and let'er rip...it's all good.  why can't somebody do that?  Without charging us a *censored word* arm and a leg?
icon

Best answer by JimM 10 September 2012, 17:04

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
okay...back this up...well...whad'ya doin?  make a disk image .iso or shoot a rocket around the damned moon.  most people look at the IMAGE section of some burning software and their eyes glaze over and it's a good time to convince them to give you $100 for a hamburger.    then there's the what to put on an image file....if you have decided that is what you need.  all your files, the windows files...the letters from your grandmother....hell drop it all one there.  grab a coupla dvd's   ....oh but wait....should you use the dvd 4.75 gb or the 8. whatever DL?  I mean to your average bear this stuff is so obscure it's no wonder i find BRAND NEW computers in dumpsters in tact simply cuz the (your)industry has made backing up home systems so bewildering.  Look, you don't have to gin up business like that...it's a cheap shot, and believe me, if you all don't fix the thing....the technology is going to out run you anyways....it's just the poor saps out here waiting on that tech to strip you of a dollar.

CH 4 T

*Topic was posted to an unrelated Ideas Exchange entry.  Edit is to move content. - admin
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
it's just thoughts...don't kick me off the cloud.   i'm paid up but wooden '**bleep** be nice if some company really...i mean really made the consumer's "ease of use" their number one credo, motto, and (italian suppository) ennuendo!

love you guys and gals there....keep up the good arbeit.....arbeit macht frei

CH 4 T

*Topic was posted to an unrelated Ideas Exchange entry.  Edit is to move content. - admin
Userlevel 7
It sounds like you're frustrated with existing backup solutions.  Well, there is good news.  Soon, Webroot will be replacing the existing backup & sync solution with a new, improved version

Even the current version Webroot provides is a cloud-based solution, and the new one will be cloud-based as well. That means no need to perform complicated manual backups, like the kind you're describing.

Certainly, the old way of backing things up via DVDs or even external hard drives can be frustrating, and depending on how you're doing it, it could be time-consuming as well.  Cloud storage, on the other hand, is seemless and occurs automatically in the background once you have it set up to back up what you want backed up.

Now it's not free, like I think you're saying you would like 😉, but you get a very significant amount of storage for a relatively low price.  And you don't have to mess with performing manual backups, which I gather should be a big plus for you.

From what I've seen of the new backup solution, it's going to be a great improvement over the system we currently have in place.  As a current Complete subscriber, you'll get to check it out in about a month when it's ready.  I'll be interested to hear what you think!
Thanks for the info. 🙂

I can’t figure out how to backup my data. The last one that shows is from 2020. I tried to set up a daily backup, but nothing happened yesterday. Now I can’t even figure out how to do that. I would really like to backup my data. Help!

Userlevel 7

Hello @macfish47 

With all the upgrade changes to macOS, I would recommend getting in contact (Call by Phone) with Webroot Support and they will be able to walk you through the process of backing up your Mac. If there is any problems, they will be able to sort them also.

Webroot Support:

Submit a ticket

Call 1-866-612-4227

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue.

HTH,

Dave