Solved

Backup & Sync (server) time-out?

Userlevel 1
I looked for other posts relating to this problem, but didn't find any. This is not a critical problem for me at this time, but I want to be using the feature more in the coming weeks.

The Backup & Sync feature is really sluggish for me. I understand it takes time to do the original backup and/or sync. When I try to access the devices/folders, it takes a very long time and frequently times out and displays error message - "A request to the server failed. Please refresh the page or try again later."

Sometimes I will see the root drive in a folder, then clicking that will stall and fail. Is this likely a problem on my end of the system (same problem on all PC devices), or is it the cloud server?

Possibly related is that accessing my.webrootanywhere online account takes a long time usually - even a few minutes before it connects and updates status.

I have a 15 MB cable internet connection and relatively fast PC, so I don't think the problem is on this end, unless its the way I have things setup.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dave

icon

Best answer by dave260 27 May 2013, 22:31

View original

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Dave!

Actually, I saw another post about Backup and Synch issues just a little while ago.  The other user was on a mobile device.  The error that person was getting is the same as yours.  I think you should submit a Trouble Ticket, the link is below in my signature area.  Being a holiday weekend, I am not sure what the response time will be, but there may be an issue as you are not alone.

Keep us informed as to how things are going with this please!
Userlevel 1
Hi David!

Thanks for the response. I will go ahead and do that. But, funny thing.... I just went back to Backup and Sync and it worked OK with decent responsiveness. Go figure. :@

I will monitor for a day or two and submit the Support Ticket based on what I observe.

Thanks again!

Dave

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi David!

Thanks for the response. I will go ahead and do that. But, funny thing.... I just went back to Backup and Sync and it worked OK with decent responsiveness. Go figure. :@

I will monitor for a day or two and submit the Support Ticket based on what I observe.

Thanks again!

Dave

Thanks for the reply!  Based on what you say and the other incident, it doesn't sound like the system is down, but it does look like there may be an issue of some sort.  Maybe something intermittent, which can be a bear to replicate.  While I have the ability to use Backup, I don't use it much (Bad on me... I need to use it!), but I may fiddle with it a bit tonight to see if I can replicate the issue myself.

Userlevel 7
Dave, it's the cloud - not your machine. There were some backup issues earlier today, and there are a couple of errors that are going to taper off on their own over the course of the weekend now that the system is working again. As the system continues to renormalize, speed will pick back up.
Userlevel 7
Thanks Jim!
Userlevel 1
Thanks Jim. That's "good" to know. Problems do develop. It's all part of the density we live in! Nothing is perfect.  I'll check a few times over the weekend and give you guys some feedback!
Thanks much!
Dave
Userlevel 4
I noticed the issue yesterday as well, but I can tell you it's definetly resolved. Working fine now.
Userlevel 7
Just to report that no problems recorded. If there was an issue, it had to be already resolved because it works like a charm now.
Userlevel 1
Thanks everyone for the responses and checking the cloud system. Seems to be OK on this end now, as well. Glad to know everything is OK.
I have wasted the last hour trying to get back-up and synch going. Webroot would not accept my email and password. I FINALLY got Webroot to accept my email and password, and I got to the area where I could access Backup and synch, and then THAT area would not accept my email and password! The rest of Webroot has been working wonderfully, but I just about wish they had never sent me the email about backing up my files!!! I am so frustrated! An hour WASTED. Can someone please help? Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Hello Elliot and welcome to the Webroot Community!

Log into your Account Console (Link below).  Once logged in, click on your email address at the upper right corner, and select Manage Users.

In this window, look at the permissions for your user profile.  Make sure that all are set to Access or Admin.  If Backup & Synch is not given access, click the "person icon" at the far right to edit the user profile.  Adjust settings to Access or Admin for everything and save.  

Try Backup & Synch again.

Let us know if this helps!
Userlevel 7
@ Just checking in to see if the suggestions above helped.  Let us know!  You can also submit a Trouble Ticket  if you need additional help.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I have wasted the last hour trying to get back-up and synch going. Webroot would not accept my email and password. I FINALLY got Webroot to accept my email and password, and I got to the area where I could access Backup and synch, and then THAT area would not accept my email and password! The rest of Webroot has been working wonderfully, but I just about wish they had never sent me the email about backing up my files!!! I am so frustrated! An hour WASTED. Can someone please help? Thank you.
This may or may not be a related problem that I am having:
http://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Backup-amp-Sync-Problem/m-p/41568#U41568
My Support Ticket is in with Logs. Response by Webroot: they are working on the problem. Give Webroot a little more time to sort the problem out. Backup & Sync in not working correctly. 😉
Userlevel 7
Thanks Dave! I wasn't sure if Elliot is affected by the same problem or not so I figured I would try the normal troubleshooting. Of course an additional ticket might be of help to Webroot in correcting it too.

Does the bug affecting you affect all users? I haven't really seen anything that indicates if it is a system wide bug or only affecting certain users.
Userlevel 7
As an update: I do have the same problem. I had not checked previously as due to very slow internet speed here I generally leave Backup & Synch turned off.
Userlevel 7
I checked on the back-end and it looks like Backup & Sync permissions aren't enabled. Please follow David's instructions to activate them and let us know your results. 😃
Userlevel 7
B & S Not Working.

Userlevel 7
@ Let us know if changing your settings helps.  There is a bug that is keeping a few of us from logging in, and I would be quite interested to know if it is affecting all users or just some of us 🙂
I have a weak signal, no more than three bars, because I work off someone else's router. That may be the reason I have not been able to get back up and synch to work. I need an external antenna, but have not purchased one yet because not sure which to get or how much to spend. I was going to order one off the internet, but with so many pro and con reviews, I think I will go to Radio Shack or Best Buy, so that in case I have problems I won't have any hassle returning for refund or exchange.

Does anyone think a weak signal could be the cause of my problems?

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I have a weak signal, no more than three bars, because I work off someone else's router. That may be the reason I have not been able to get back up and synch to work. I need an external antenna, but have not purchased one yet because not sure which to get or how much to spend. I was going to order one off the internet, but with so many pro and con reviews, I think I will go to Radio Shack or Best Buy, so that in case I have problems I won't have any hassle returning for refund or exchange.

Does anyone think a weak signal could be the cause of my problems?

Thanks.
Check the account settings as suggested, and there is a possiblity that the bug affecting a few of us is also affecting you.  As for the weak signal, I would guess that it could also be at fault if it was slow enough to cause a timeout when trying to connect and log in.
I have been able to finally download back up and sync, but now can find no place designated "file manager" so as to be able to get to "my pictures," "my documents," etc. I am not using "magic briefcase."  I am using the other screen. Can't remember what it's called. How do I get to where I can store files, please? Why isn't this easier? At least you have an active community board where I can ask questions. Thanks for that!

Userlevel 7
I am not as familiar with the use of Backup, just how to set things up to be able to log in.  Maybe @  or @  are still around and can help with that question.  :)
Logging in is no longer a problem, thanks. The problem now is how to get to where I can access files in order to put them into back up. There IS not "mange files" place to click on that I can see.
Userlevel 7
Hello elliot,

You can open Webroot, click Backup & Sync, and then click Change Settings under the Backup & Sync tab to add specific folders that you would like backed up. If you want to sync the files, you would use the 'Anywhere folder' instead. I've also included a link to our help guide below.

Managing Backup & Sync
Userlevel 7
Thanks Mike!  I have not used it enough to be able to talk someone through even the simple things unless I have it open on my computer...  :)