Solved

Browser extension problems

Userlevel 2
I'm on Mac and when offered to install a browser extension it installs on Safari but not on Chrome.

Than every few days it offers me again to install it.... if I'm fast to click "Don't install", then it's "ok" (except for the fact that this is really bothering me and that it doesn't work on Chrome - at least stop asking me if it just cannot be installed - or I don't want it installed). The worse thing is if I don't cancel that dialog imediatelly then my Chrome browser with 100 open tabs just crashes (http://cl.ly/image/021c2q0X2n3k) - unacceptable!

There is no option in the settings to disable checking if browser extension is installed.

I wrote to support 8 days ago and no answer...

Also I cannot find the instructions to uninstall Webroot from my Mac for the time being (or forever if not fixed).

What can I do?
david
icon

Best answer by davidhq 26 March 2014, 00:35

View original

46 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello davidhq and welcome to the Webroot Community!

First, I would suggest you reenter the information on your Trouble Ticket.  Only do this ONE time though, otherwise it may push your ticket to the back of the queue.

I am not a Mac user, but I do know that on Windows, intsalled Chrome extensions can be easily disabled.  If you choose to not use the Web Filter (Though I find that it works quite well for me), I would suggest that until you hear from Support simply allow it to install, and then disable it.
Userlevel 2
thank you...

I'm reasonably sure that I cannot turn web filter off... I cannot find the setting anywhere...

I filled the ticket now - not sure in what way I sent them a question 8 days ago.. so now I wait.

If you can please tell me in what ways do you find web filter useful? I'd also like to try it.

thank you again!

david
Userlevel 7
As I said, I am not a Mac user, so there may be significant differences in the Chrome I am using to type this and the Chrome you have.  On my Windows, I simply go into Chrome Settings, Tools, Extensions and I can remove or disable any installed extension.

As for the Web Filter itself, it simply protects you from going to URL's that contain known threats.  You can, of course, over-ride and navigate to the URL anyway if you believe the block was in error.

Another thought occurred to me as well after my first reply.  You said that the Chrome browser crashes when attempting to install the extension with "100 tabs" open.  That sounds like it might be a bug or limitation within Chrome itself.  There may be a way around it, though it will take a few minutes of time.  Simply uninstall and reinstall Chrome.  Once re-installed, at least on Windows, the extension permissions come back up on first use.  In your case, before you have a large number of open tabs.
Userlevel 7
The Web Filter does not protect only against virus threats, it also has information on URL's that contain other threats, like phising schemes, etc etc.  
Userlevel 2
I can't go to Chrome Extensions because the extension didn't manage to install - so I cannot disable it.

Actually I have around 20 tabs open now, I just exagerated a bit - it's still a lot of tabs I have to wait to reopen after the install atempt fails. Also I lost all my tabs once because I didn't know I can press Shift+CMD+T to reopen them.. so after failed install attempt I lost all my tabs once!

Other extensions install fine even with open tabs so I think there's a problem in how webroot does... and even bigger problem that it keeps trying.

Maybe Chrome reinstall would really help but I'll wait for the support response ... because I doubt it... I think I read some other people were also unable to install it even after Chrome reinstall..

tnx
Userlevel 7
I had a problem with the extension on Windows Chrome refusing to re-install after manually removing it.  I was using the Beta version of Webroot, and wanted to revert to the normal version, so I manually removed everything.  Chrome has a built in protection that will keep it from installing an extension once the user has removed it.

SO.... I reinstalled Chrome.  Fixed it nice and quick.  It is, admittedly, a little time consuming to uninstall and reinstall, but it did fix the extension problems for me 🙂
Userlevel 7
Regardless if if you reinstall, or wait to see what Support says, let us know how it comes out!  :)  As a non Mac user, I really like learning more about trying to help troubleshoot issues with it.
Userlevel 2
ok, great! will let you know...

I suspect reinstall won't work because I haven't managed to install this at all... so it's a little bit different as in your case...

so I wait for their reply .. 

regards,
david
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello davidhq and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

What I do and it works on Windows go to the Folder I'm not sure what it's called on Mac but PC's WRData Folder and go to the PKG Folder and open that up and open the Chrome Folder and the extension is in there and all I do is drag the extension into the open Chrome Browser and it installs but again not sure on a Mac? And again if you use the password manager in the PKG Folder look for.....

HTH,

Daniel
Userlevel 2
Hi,

I couldn't locate that file on Mac - I think it doesn't exist.

I now report to you that Chrome extension was successfully installed...
First I updated Mountain Lion to Maverics (it was time to do that 🙂, then I removed Webroot and reinstalled it...
So not sure if OS update or product reinstall fixed the issue.. I haven't reinstalled Chrome.

So now it works... thank you for suggestions.

(also support replied and told me how to actually reinstall Webroot... I didn't realize it was that simple)

until soon!
david
Userlevel 7
Excellent!  Glad to hear that things are fixed up for you, and thank you for letting us know!  :)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Great to hear also there is a Webroot Video on to how to install on Mac's as well!

Cheers,

Daniel
Userlevel 2
Thank you again...

I'm pleased with this community / support.

The developers shold just solve some other minor issues and the product will be even more perfect 🙂
Userlevel 3
The community is great...I agree...haven't found better anywhere. I'm glad to see your situation is resolved. I'm running Maverick on several of my Macs, and the one I installed Webroot on, installed the extension correctly in Chrome without issue. I can see that the webroot Mac filter extension is installed in Chrome on my Windows machines as well. Alas I'm having problems getting the Webroot filtering extension for windows installed in my verisons of Chrome. But, tech support is working on the issue and has been. I'm sure they'll figure it out at some point...they've been great as well.

Take care and take a look around the community here. Lots of good info here!

Bob
Userlevel 7
Hi liontamer

What you need to do re. your extension for Chrome under Windows is to locate the .crx package, the current one should be called CHROME_1.0.0.32.crx, and you should find it in the following location (assuming you have installed WS normally)

C:ProgramDataWRDataPKG

If you then open Chrome and via Settings (top righthand corner under the'X') select Tools that should give you the option to select  Extensions, from the context menu, which will open the Extensions Manager in a new tab and just drag & drop the package into the panel it should attempt an install...to which you say 'Yes'...et voila.

Hope that helps?

Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Hi Baldrick,

Unfortunately, this hasn't worked for me. We've tried just about everything and I'm waiting now for one of the Tech Support members to return from vacation this week, at which point he's going to try to login to my system to see if they can find a workaround or cause. We've had a lot of really good suggestions to try, but so far...nothing has resolved it:

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Tips-and-Tricks/How-Well-is-Your-System-Protected-Five-Simple-Test-from-AMTSO/td-p/48854

Thanks for your suggestion...I'm sure it will help the majority who may have a similar problem!

Bob
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Solly the file number should be C:ProgramDataWRDataPKGChromeCHROME_1.1.0.32.crx just to let you know! Also for me just Dragging the file in the open page of Chrome installs it!

Cheers Buddy,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 3
Hey Daniel!

I knew where it was "supposed" to be but isn't on my computers for some reason so I didn't mention that, but should have! The extension installs in Chrome on my Mac without a problem...but Win 7 and 8 not so far:(

I know they'll work it out, and when they do...I'll sure post that on the original thread.

Regards,

Bob
Userlevel 7
Cheers Daniel :D

Strange but I have rechecked the .CRX that I have in (as you very rightly corrected me) C:ProgramDataWRDataPKGChrome and it is very definitvely not 1.1.0.32 but 1.0.0.32 as I posted...so I must have a partial issue of it not having updated correctly when the v8.0.4.68 update came out.

Will have to check that out. :(

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hi Daniel

Could this be a case of Chrome not being installed in Program Files but rather in Appdata (as per the other thread in relation to Chrome)?

Also, wonder if there is any mileage in liontamer extracting the .CRX that he has on his Mac and dragging that into a Chrome browser panel on his PC?  As they both need to work with Chrome I would assume (perhaps riskily) that the extensions would be the same.

Thoughts?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 3
I'd be willing to try that. Seems like the worst case would be a reinstall of Chrome which is no problem. Chrome is installed in the Program Files (x86) directory on this machine (Surface Pro with Win 8.1) btw.

Bob
Userlevel 3
Oh duh...the Mac extension is already in Chrome and is labelled as a Webroot Filtering Extension Mac, so I don't know what would be gained.

Thanks!

Bob
Userlevel 2
Hi,

it's me again.. I noticed that although the extension is installed in Chrome, there are no indicators.

So in Safari I have: http://cl.ly/image/3J2X0s1Y3732 

but in Chrome I don't have that: http://cl.ly/image/1l3j0L3U2x1C 

support just responded saying something about that I have to install Password Manager, but that doesn't make any sense and also it would require me to upgrade the product... I don't want Password Manager...

I wrote this here for two reasons: to maybe get a correct answer from here and so that there will be also information about this kind of problem in this thread for others to see.

regards,
david
Userlevel 7
Hi liontamer

Thanks for the clarification on both points...especially the one re. the Mac version of the extension (apologies but I do not own a Mac and so have no access to one to see if that approach was feasible)...so I have learnt something new tonight...Excellent http://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sHa_clap.gif.

Looks like you are back to awaiting the good offices of the Support Team, when the person on holiday returns.  As and when he/she does and you have the benefit of their expertise perhaps you would post back here and share what transpireed...so that we can add whatever was down to resolve the issue for you, to the Community knowledge, for the betterment of future sufferers of this sort of issue.

Much appreciated. 

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hi davidhq

Thanks for the feedback...your point about "...have to install Password Manager, but that doesn't make any sense" seems correct to me; I cannot fathom the rationale behind it..., and so I would get back to Support (if you have not already) and advise them of your scepticism/ask them to clarify the advice just in case there is a misunderstanding.

Regards

Baldrick