Solved

Browser extension problems

Userlevel 2
I'm on Mac and when offered to install a browser extension it installs on Safari but not on Chrome.

Than every few days it offers me again to install it.... if I'm fast to click "Don't install", then it's "ok" (except for the fact that this is really bothering me and that it doesn't work on Chrome - at least stop asking me if it just cannot be installed - or I don't want it installed). The worse thing is if I don't cancel that dialog imediatelly then my Chrome browser with 100 open tabs just crashes (http://cl.ly/image/021c2q0X2n3k) - unacceptable!

There is no option in the settings to disable checking if browser extension is installed.

I wrote to support 8 days ago and no answer...

Also I cannot find the instructions to uninstall Webroot from my Mac for the time being (or forever if not fixed).

What can I do?
david
icon

Best answer by davidhq 26 March 2014, 00:35

View original

46 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Can you check to see if it is all checked in Chrome?

Thanks,

Daniel

Userlevel 2
Yes, I did that ... :)

ok, also the third reason I posted this here is because I hate when support doesn't read inquiries well or just ignores them. I hope they will do less of that if I bring it out to others as well. 
Userlevel 2
Daniel,

Thank you! I didn't have that checked... :( 
Nowhere did it warn me that I have to do that.

Now I have it checked but still no indicators... I'll try restarting the browser a bit later.. now I have too many open tabs and a slow internet connection here where I am currently. It would last too long to reopen them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Great yes you would have to restart the Browser but let us know for sure!

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
😉 Great info  Daniel, I checked my Chrome extensions also and I also was missing the checkmark in URLs.

Thanks for the posts everone..Sherry
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi Daniel

Could this be a case of Chrome not being installed in Program Files but rather in Appdata (as per the other thread in relation to Chrome)?

Also, wonder if there is any mileage in liontamer extracting the .CRX that he has on his Mac and dragging that into a Chrome browser panel on his PC?  As they both need to work with Chrome I would assume (perhaps riskily) that the extensions would be the same.

Thoughts?

Regards

Baldrick
It could be I just installed Chrome last month to help users but I knew that some have it installed in Appdata and it should be in Program Files or for 64bit Program Files (x86) and yes it's a Chrome issue also I had to drag the password manager file in there as well! Now I know why I never liked Chrome I'm a Firefox man!

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
😉 Great info  Daniel, I checked my Chrome extensions also and I also was missing the checkmark in URLs.

Thanks for the posts everone..Sherry
Did you get it to work Sherry?

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
😃 Well Daniel us Mac users have two choices that Im aware of and thats CHROME or SAFARI...I choose Chrome..;)
Userlevel 2
Yes, Mozilla always promises that Firefox is not extremely slow anymore in this release but it always is. It's impossible to work with it, so slow 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Cheers Daniel :D

Strange but I have rechecked the .CRX that I have in (as you very rightly corrected me) C:ProgramDataWRDataPKGChrome and it is very definitvely not 1.1.0.32 but 1.0.0.32 as I posted...so I must have a partial issue of it not having updated correctly when the v8.0.4.68 update came out.

Will have to check that out. :(

Regards

Baldrick
Yes I had to drag the new file in Chrome to install the last thing I heard from Joe it's because of Chrome and the info here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Release-Notes/PC-Agent-release-notes-for-version-8-0-4-68/m-p/93074#M423 but I guess it didn't work? Also I deleted the older version of the file in the same Folder.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
😃 Well Daniel us Mac users have two choices that Im aware of and thats CHROME or SAFARI...I choose Chrome..;)
Is the Extension in your Chrome on the Mac and Safari also?

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello..yes it is Daniel. .
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi, I'm having issues with the web filter extension wanting to install every time I open my Chrome browser which is my default browser..the problem lies in Safari, Mac)..When I'm on Chrome, Safari pops open a Webroot browser Security extension box saying Webroot filter extension is not installed in your default browser..click to install this extension in all supported browsers or cluck to disable the web threat shield. Does this make any sense? Please advise...should I uninstall extensions in both browsers and try to reinstall?
Userlevel 7
SSherjj, 

do your currently still have an older version installed?  If you do a search, is it marking the results correctly?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thanks David, but isn't the Webroot Filtering Extension new? Or am I missing something here..I will check..both browsers..I believe I might have old WFExtension in safari.
Userlevel 7
SSherjj, 

The problem with your Chrome might be releated to THIS THREAD.  Once an extension has been manually removed, Chrome has built in protection that will bar it from being re-intalled automatically.  It almost sounds like yours attempted to update itself, but the coding did something wrong and Chrome thinks it was removed manually........  Chrome can usually tell when an extension was removed for update in which case it allows reinstall.

The filter extension has been fully rolled out for quite some time now..

Sorry to ramble, computer crashed while i was typing and i continued on the tablet....also thinking about all of the various posts trying to figure it out :-) 
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Oh my word...not a crash..something is conflicting i think but cant get ti my Mac system yet anyways. ..appreciate your help and hope u get your computer back and running soon. .
Userlevel 7
It is normal... it is old and overheats.   🙂  I am used to hot swapping to the tablet as needed  :)
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Yes...anyways I'll do sime reasesrch myself when i get home..i have a WF in rhe securuty browser if Safari..2.2 i think and in my extensions it shows 1.1for. Webroot filter..geeze...
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
SSmartphones cant type
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
David. ..will check those links..mucho grascious..