Can't change advanced settings

• 15 January 2016
  • 20 replies

Why can't I changed the advanced settings in Webroot when I sign on as the sysadmin in my home PC?

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
? please explain further. Are the options greyed out, do you get a password or captcha request or does nothing happen when you attempt to do so?

"Secure Anywhere is currently managed by the Web Console and all changes need to be applied centrally. Please refer to the Secure Anywhere documentation for further information."

The "Secure Anywhere" documentation doesn't state why as a sysadmin, I can't make changes to my account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Then under security settings tell me what's selected ( sorry for the dutch language as i don't have english UI )

Oops had to remove the picture and write a 10 page essay with as title "Thou shalst never again leave a screenshot online
that shows your product key" :$

Here's the clean version

If not userconfiguration then ttry and change it to user configuration, and then give your machine a reboot or manually shut down & restart the protection on your machine or just trigger a scan. Normally when you trigger a scan you connect to the cloud and the synch should occur thus unlocking your settings.... 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Just to add to what Edwin said if it's set to User Configuration then change it to another setting and save then go back and set it to User Configuration and save and do a couple of scans so the Client contacts the Cloud and wait 30 to 45 minutes and that should solve your issue.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Thank you. Will try.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Then under security settings tell me what's selected ( sorry for the dutch language as i don't have english UI )

Oops had to remove the picture and write a 10 page essay with as title "Thou shalst never again leave a screenshot online
that shows your product key" :$

Here's the clean version

If not userconfiguration then ttry and change it to user configuration, and then give your machine a reboot or manually shut down & restart the protection on your machine or just trigger a scan. Normally when you trigger a scan you connect to the cloud and the synch should occur thus unlocking your settings.... 
Hey it happens to the best of us even myself and a few others I will not mention, but no big deal as you can kick anyone out from the Online Console! Just sorry my eye didn't see that......!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
? keep us posted pls. If it's fixed then we are glad if not we must continue.
So, this is what I found out and it is unfortunate for me:

I bought this software through a vendor who 'owns' the license. They will not give me the keycode and when I asked them to give me full control to change the settings, they denied the request. Their reason: if I change the security settings, I'm likely to set myself up for disaster.

I am not a 'techie', however I have a CompTIA Security+ credential and worked as a contract ISSO for several years before I changed jobs.

I cannot name the company from whom I purchased the software and their SAAS service for fear of reprisal, but I will say this: Caveat Emptor - Let the buyer beware.

Thank you all for the advice.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
? that's a strange story. If the license is yours then you should have the right to get the license code that's it...
If you on your machine are using their license with their permission that's another question.
But then again can you log in onto the web console with full rights or not. If you can you can do it....
Userlevel 7
Hi wiredup

Sounds as if you have signed up with a Webroot partner who then effectively 'leases' out the use of WSA as part of that contract with you. Hence yo are not at liberty to make any changes to the console.

If you would supply the name of the 3rd party we can check to see if they are legit, i.e., indeed a Webroot partner.

Regards, Baldrick
I'm not sure if I should name the company or not. I don't want to set myself up for a defamation suit.

Yes, the company told me they 'own' the keycode, but I can't find anything in writing from them that says I cannot have access, yet they refuse to allow me to change my settings. I told them I don't think the settings I currently have are in my best interest.

I can tell you, the company is based in England.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
? i'm sure Baldrick would accept it via PM if you don't dare to post it out in the open where everyone can see it...
But you haven't told me wether or not you can log in onto the web console or not....
Userlevel 7
Hi wiredup

I do understand your position although I do not believe that anything that you have posted could possibly have you up for defamation...you have just recounted the facts; you want to change your settings, you have asked, the company have said you cannot; you are not happy with that...but you have not accused them of anything as far as I can see.

What we are trying to do is to see what your position is and then offer the best advice we can. But sure ly when you signed up you must have gotten some paperwork or the like?

Regards, Baldrick
I cannot log onto the web console.
Userlevel 7
Hi wireup

That may also be a restriction of the 'contract' you are operating under here?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
To add what Baldrick said in reality there's nothing you can do unless you get your own WSA License since whoever will not even give you control of your own PC. How many Devices are you using? Would a 3 PC or Mac AV only keycode work for you or do you just need for 1 device?

Daniel 😠
The company is ABC Repair Tech.

One email I got from the company says "We use an enterprise key for Webroot, that is the reason why we are not able to provide the Keycode you are requesting..."

As far as I'm concerned, I bought the software and their services to fix my computer. To me, that means I own the keycode, but they will not give it to me.
I only need the keycode for one device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I only need the keycode for one device.
AV only Okay? Also see here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Non-Techie/ABC-Repair-Tech/td-p/215054
and here from Google: https://www.google.com/search?q=ABC+Repair+Tech&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=WR2cVqfZEsXQ-QGX-q_4Ag
Userlevel 7
Hi wiredup

As Daniel has observed...we have run into this before but as it stands you contract with ABC Tech Repair most probably does not entitle you to an individual license.

I believe I managed to find the T&C of this outfit, in relation to another user's enquiry, and it was quite clear. I suspect that your only recourse would be to check out what the termination clause is...I suspect 30 days or something like this, and then if so minded to terminate and then purchase a WSA license from Webroot, with which you will get free of charge tech support for any WSA or malware-related issue whilst you subscription is active. 

Regards, Baldrick